My beardie doesn't want to murder me anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...not as much. Hah, this is a small branch of my life since getting my beardie about 6 weeks ago. His name is Charmander and he is now about 8-9 inches in length. When I first got him he was very hyperactive, in fact he jumped out of my hand at the pet store. He was from a local place and they really cared, they had handled him daily.

After getting acclimated to being home he decided he wanted to murder me. Every day, all day, for any reason. New haircut? Double murder. Different color shirt? Murder. His viv is next to my desk and he made it a habit to murder me visually when I didn't try to take him out.

I began with the basics like scent familiarization (leaving a shirt in his viv) and daily short handlings. He eventually got to the point of trying to and/or biting me. I was scared but worked through this. Finally, for the past two days he has gotten better with me, he no longer acts like he wants to murder me and in addition he now spends many of his hours observing me. He has let me pick him up multiple times with only minor gaping (open mouth) and no bites. He does not try to run away or kill me.

While this may not sound impressive I do want to let other owners who are taming know... it can feel hopeless when your beardie wants to murder you for days at a time, even weeks but if you are persistent, kind and level headed (don't get upset) he/she will come around. Charmander is currently sliding across his backsplash (rock wall) to get closer to me so he can observe my keyboard, this seems to be his new past time.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds as if he likes his slave now! Yep... you're his slave whether or not you like it. Try letting him watch some TV. Beardies seem to love it.

sombra88

Original Poster
Hah, pretty much! He likes baths (they calm him) and he likes TV or my cellphone depending on his mood. He is super amused by my computer screens.

BeardieLover232

Hatchling Member
the only time my dragons will want to murder me, is when i wake them up from their sleep! of course both are taught not to bite, when their mouth is open, i can put my finger in their mouth, and they won't do anything. :lol:

Haaa sounds like you should have named it charixard seeing as he didn't like you much at the start, but now 'tolerates' you :lol: 8)

I hope you get that reference lol

Great name for a Beardie! I hope he gets used to you soon, nothing better than my beardie falling asleep on my chest at night whilst i play games.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Maggie went thought that phase also. Every time I walked by, picked her up, let her play outside the viv, she would puff up like ballon then pancake out and hiss and snap at me. I actually have a video where she ran off and hid under my daughters bed and when I went to "save" she attacked me!! She was a vicious little monster and I felt like I was in the Jurassic park movie when the Compies attacked. So I bought some treats and when she puffed I popped a wax worm or grape slice into her mouth and went about my business. Turns out her temps were too high(thermometer wiring went bad and I didn't realize it) and it was making her aggressive. Fast forward a few months later: she's about 6 months now and last I was doing homework and she kept running across my books and acting like a kid trying to get attention. Crawled all over me and tried to eat my laptop keys as I typed. Sometimes when they're little they get "little man syndrome" I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom