**Update** Adventures of Rocky the Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocky has been with us for just over a month and I think it's safe to say, he's settling in nicely.

I was leaving the house a few days ago and when I went to say "bye" to Rocky, I noticed that his hammock had fallen down. I didn't have time to fix it, so I moved him away from it and left it down; hoping that he wouldn't get back on it. Well...as we all know, our dragons LOVE their hammocks. This is what I found when I returned home, a few hours later:

Rocky, back on his fallen hammock. Using his tail to hold him up.

I decided to remove the hammock altogether for a while. Rocky was having none of that. From that day forward, he has been pooping on his basking spot, right where his hammock had been. And then he lays in it. I think this is an all out "Hammock Protest."

I had to give him a bath to get the poo off his belly and he tried his best to escape.

I want to put paper towels down on his basking spot to make clean up easier, but this guy is terrified of them! He freaks out every time I come near his tank with paper towels in my hand.

I am such a proud beardie mama. I love this guy and can't wait to share more of his adventures.

BruceLarryOzzie

Hatchling Member
It's like he was climbing up to the top brick and ran out of energy.
"I think I'll just go to sleep r..I ..g ..h ..t h ..e ..r..e..."

Lol :lol:

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sometimes our beardie falls asleep halfway up the ramp to his basking platform. They seem to have "one way" scales on their underbelly, so I think that's how he gets away with not sliding all the way back down to the bottom :?

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":3eawi1if said:
Sometimes our beardie falls asleep halfway up the ramp to his basking platform. They seem to have "one way" scales on their underbelly, so I think that's how he gets away with not sliding all the way back down to the bottom :?

Ha ha! "One way" scales. That made me laugh! I remember my first beardie, Zilla, used to fall asleep every which way possible - in his tree, standing up on one leg, hanging off his hammock. You name it, he did it. It was fun to get up every morning and see what position he was sleeping in. Never a dull moment with a dragon! :)

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
"MOMMY! Help! There's poop in my tank and I can't get to the other side!"

(Rocky, trapped on the cool side of his tank, after making a deposit smack dab in the middle.)

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
:lol:
Yep. I can relate. That's definitely something that our bearded dragon would also do.

One thing I've noticed though -- If we're not home, he seems perfectly capable of finding his way around his little deposits and back up to his basking platform, and we usually come home to find the little pile at the bottom of the tank and the beardie back "upstairs" worshiping his light bulbs as usual. But if he knows that his human slaves are available to clean up after him, then he's much more likely to put up a fuss and do his little dance and threaten to drag his tail through the mess, and basically do the basic "Mommy! help! there's poop in my tank and I can't get to the other side" routine.

...And we fall for it just about every time, too :wink:

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":2rvz1wjg said:
:lol:
Yep. I can relate. That's definitely something that our bearded dragon would also do.

One thing I've noticed though -- If we're not home, he seems perfectly capable of finding his way around his little deposits and back up to his basking platform, and we usually come home to find the little pile at the bottom of the tank and the beardie back "upstairs" worshiping his light bulbs as usual. But if he knows that his human slaves are available to clean up after him, then he's much more likely to put up a fuss and do his little dance and threaten to drag his tail through the mess, and basically do the basic "Mommy! help! there's poop in my tank and I can't get to the other side" routine.

...And we fall for it just about every time, too :wink:

Oh, the joys of being a dragon slave! I was making breakfast this morning and after I saw the situation, I stopped what I was doing to clean up his tank. Like I couldn't wait another 10 minutes to finish cooking. No doubt, I am a full-on Dragon Slave. (and loving every minute of it!)

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright, my fellow beardie lovers. I need your help with this one. When Rocky is out and about the house, he sometimes gravitates towards the floor vents and sleeps with his "vent on the vent." Today he was sleeping on one of the floor vents and when I went to check on him, I noticed that he was sleeping with his butt up in the air! If you look at the picture, he has his feet under him, pushing his vent up. Has anyone else seen this before?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is it an output or intake vent? It could be the movement in air or change in temperatures that bring him there. My guys find odd spots to bunker down too (see Dundee sleeping on the Atari in my signature). Do you have a portable basking area set up for him to return to? I found that once I set those up they tended to return there to warm up rather than finding a dark corner to bunker in and sleep.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":14chnk6m said:
Is it an output or intake vent? It could be the movement in air or change in temperatures that bring him there. My guys find odd spots to bunker down too (see Dundee sleeping on the Atari in my signature). Do you have a portable basking area set up for him to return to? I found that once I set those up they tended to return there to warm up rather than finding a dark corner to bunker in and sleep.

It's an output vent, constantly blowing air. I've also noticed that he used to gravitate towards a humidifier that was kept on the floor. (I've since moved that out of his way.) I'm starting to wonder if he just likes a bit of a breeze? He does have a portable basking spot, but still tends to hunker down and sleep in dark places.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I hate to say this, but I've got to wonder if it's safe to let him do that. If that vent blows hot air when the heat is on, he could end up with thermal burns in a very uncomfortable area :oops: Even if not, I'd still wonder if there might be an issue with drying out tissues that are supposed to stay moist ?

In an artificial environment, instinct doesn't always tell them to do what's best for them. It might be a good idea for "Mom" to intervene. Just saying... :?

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":3fi9ugoq said:
I hate to say this, but I've got to wonder if it's safe to let him do that. If that vent blows hot air when the heat is on, he could end up with thermal burns in a very uncomfortable area :oops: Even if not, I'd still wonder if there might be an issue with drying out tissues that are supposed to stay moist ?

In an artificial environment, instinct doesn't always tell them to do what's best for them. It might be a good idea for "Mom" to intervene. Just saying... :?

No worries about him being on the vent. He's not there long enough to do any harm to himself. I'm on him like a hawk! I usually move him the minute he even looks like he's about to get cozy on the vent. Just a bit longer this time for the photo op. :)

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Terry15":2ovsdcfx said:
Mystic also likes laying on the floor vents, the air is not too hot. We have a heat pump.

We have a heat pump, too. Blows cool air most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom