Broly the new super saiyan beardie

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I didn't realize he'd gained that much weight, well good for him and you're right, he's a lean dragon, good weight for length; Imp isn't as long as Broly, 19 1/2" but he's just over 1 yrs old, so has time to grow soon, he'll be 2 in Oct.

I just meant they were mischevious :lol:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Haha yeah mischievous. He got into my trash once nothing bad in there just cleaned out candy wrappers. He got into my dresser when I folded laundry. I spent an hour looking when he popped his head from under my socks :lol:. I have a pic of that its from a few days ago. I'll post it one day.

He finally calmed down. We're working on snuggling of course it's not going to be easy for a bit. With Broly you never know he gains or loses weight unless you put him on the scale. When I went away last May he dropped 5g more and yet didn't notice till I put him on the scale. He's been BMing a lot so he definitely lost grams (theyre healthy poop unless he has too much water). He'll eat a lot too. Congrats to Imp finally gaining. October bday huh wow how interesting. Mine apparently is a winter baby as he just turned full grown yesterday. Gave him a grub pie with a number 2 candle on it but did not light it.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Thx Deb.

So we're getting hit with heavy winds and rain which causes flooding.

Broly is awake and eating salads and being offered a variety of bugs every 3 days as much as he wants. He's taking 6-10 at his age. I always offer more but he doesn't want more. He'll clear bowls of salads though. I offer pumpkin as a topping. He still passes out between 5 and 7p to wake at 8a before lights go on (9a). I guess thats about all nothing too exciting yet. All I know is my boy only went into a slow down instead of full brumation hes 2 yo he could have slept if he wanted he has a good weight. Im checking weight tomorrow.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

So I thought an update would be good idea. Nothing happens but something did. It's not important, my freaking DVR died on Friday morning (midnight) so I lost everything and my favorite sitcom gone too. I have to wait for blu ray or DVD when the series is over (it's how it works). I got a new one but have to record things.
Broly has been interested in the sun but it's winter sun so it's not warm but he doesn't care. He keeps trying to find a warm area on the window but he can't find it. It's too cold to open it. I have given him water by syringe 2x a week. Salads make up more water. Given too much water he ends up having diarrhea. He doesn't process a lot of water like most dragons. The vet verified this already. I cut baths to once weekly (pumpkin makes him messy) despite my cleanings. Sometimes he walks through it and BM so he gets the bath. I try not to give baths often because he is drinking and eating salads. Still neutral on this bath hydration debate I've seen on multiple forums. Im not saying who's right and who's not I honestly just dont care about bathing him often and I do it when hes hot or dirty. Skin shows hes hydrated so the syringe and salads help greatly. I honestly have to be very careful with water or he gets runny BMs. His kidneys work fine his body however doesnt need a lot of water. I should say doesnt want water LOL. He eats anything I give him and he BMs fine sometimes 1x a week or more depending if he eats a lot.

If you give your dragons a bath often thats fine. I don't wanna be forced to do it often especially if I dont have to. I've been forced to do a lot for him because I thought it was right. I did my own research on the subject. Brumation is the only thing I don't get..he didnt really do that. I appreciate the help but Im sure baths/hydration isn't any of the problems. I've been told on a lot of forums to do this and that so..Im good, gonna go my own way. It's going to be the right way he'll get what he needs.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Thank you Bruce.

Heavy wind and rain today, slight chance snow on Sunday. The weatherman said 20% chance of snow. If it does hit we're looking at 3-5"! The temps will drop 20* in an hour too and possible power outage. I got my battery and set of six hand warmers that go up to 8 hours.

Broly: he's eating a lot of salads (every day) with bugs every 3 days or so. Some water to the BMs not terribly bad. He had crickets today. So I have noticed from day 1 that he came home, he turns his front feet inward slightly. I have talked to my vet on the VERY FIRST visit we had. The vet noticed too. Apparently at the pet store he was coming on with MBD. I got him home and set up uvb and everything and cal supplement it seemed to have halted progression.
I got vit too. Two years later, his feet still go inward but he straightens his feet to start moving. When he sits idle for a long time his feet will turn inward by themselves. Other than his feet, hes perfectly healthy. No worms or parasites or adenovirus (we tested twice so far). He did have slight RI a few months ago with a few nights of heat up to 80 overnight he got over it with no symptoms (he hiccuped/coughed). It was interesting, he was still eating and activity level was up during his RI bout.

I thought I'd share some backstory about him.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Winds have ceased for now. I still freak out over it but not as bad as back then. Broly still eating, gaining weight and BMing. I believe his beard may be going into shed because he was walking to his bed spot he lifted his butt in the air. I have seen this before and he's done it as a juvie. I thought nothing of it as I hadn't seen it in a long time not since he stopped shedding so much. First time in forever he's done it. I did watch him in his bath and he can use all legs soo Idk wth that really was. I did finally change the t5 I was lazy and I was 6 days overdue but not too bad. I probably didn't need to change it, solar meter said it was good. Anyway, been a while since he shed any body parts just beard for some reason. I really thought nothing of it. I realized though he only shed his beard 2016 no other body part. I talked to my mom about this and said maybe he's done growing. I suppose that's right..it took Vash a long time to even get a shed on any body part when he was fully grown up. Broly's now fully grown up so when should his body shed? I haven't seen one since the end of 2015. I was hoping to see any patchy sheds in 2016 but I hadn't and just now thought about it. Hmmm, well other than that he's pretty healthy. I may have to run a fecal but I don't really have a reason to suspect parasites, whatever. He is 20" so Idk if that's the maximum length or what but I have seen no sheds only the beard had gone through it last year.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It's really hard to judge when a dragon will shed. Mine haven't shed in so long, I've forgotten. Even Imp hasn't shed for a long time and he's 1 yr 4 mo old. I thought they might after brumation, but nothing so far. So it's not unusual at all for dragons to not shed for ages and when you least expect it, they start shedding in patches.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Thank you, Deb!
I will wait till April (our vet appointment) to run a fecal then. I need more bromelain enzyme anyway I guess I'll run it over when he goes again. That way in April all my vet and fiancé will do is just check blood and xray, body and weight. This includes inside of mouth, ears, nostrils and eyes. Of course he'll check fat pads too make sure they're healthy.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Is that the digestive enzyme you told me about? You discovered he had an issue when he was little, right. I remember you mentioning it, but didn't realize it was that enzyme, glad it works for him. Poor Imp has got parasites again and is on Panacur. I like the way my vet doses him, he gets .2 ml for 3 days, then off 7 days and I do that 4x, then wait a month and take in a fecal. I didn't have the $ to do that this time but the smell went across the living room into my bedroom, so I knew what was wrong and my vet knows I know my dragons so let me just get the Panacur. This is the 3rd time in his young life he's had parasites. None of the other 4 have them, even though 3 had long brumations. Gabriel's poop doesn't even smell and he's digesting well, even though his belly gets bigger all the time. I fed him 5 ml of the mix I make on Wednesday, then gave him 4 worms today and will give him more mix on the weekend. His fat pads had shrunk but they're back now, so that makes me feel great. He also walked across the living room and got behind the table the cresties are on, he was stuck between the table and the heater, little brat. I could hear him scratching, but took me awhile to figure out where he was! He has fun getting around the living room, especially when I put stuffies all around for him to crawl over. Even though he was diagnosed last July, he's still going strong and it's February! I hope I have him for awhile yet. When I think he's unable to carry on, I'll take him to the vet, but it's not his time yet.

11887-5390021680.jpg
You can see how big his belly is now and I can feel the aneurysm bubble in his belly. It's just not fair that it's my Gabriel and nothing can be done. If they try to open his belly, it will pop...

I'm glad Broly is doing so well! And now Tom will be your vet, too. How's the wedding planning going, it's this June, right? I'm so happy for you, Kami!

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Yes, this is the enzyme he takes for the rest of his life. He took another enzyme but he discovered bromelain instead of his other one. We did find out the problem. It was parasites and pinworms both causing GI problems. They were a low number so we didn't need to treat but they messed up his GI pretty bad that he can't digest on his own.
We're not sure why that is a thing specially when they weren't bad.
Aww Gabriel I do read your thread it's sad but as long as he's happy. Congrats that he's still living. Glad the fat pads are back.
We get married June 13 this year. We love Friday the 13th movies and we're getting married on Jason Voorhees birthday in the film. Plans are pretty good we got stuff ready for June. Tom will be my vet for good he also treats dogs and cats. He's a well rounded vet. We have two kittens (moved in with Tom) and two rottweilers. Tom owns leo geckos so I got my chance to own them. They're really neat we also have a tokay gecko and a gargoyle gecko. Broly doesn't like all the geckos he beards at them. We have a second beardie named Kane (actor who plays Jason in Friday the 13 part 7) and he's 7 mos old now. Kane is Tom's and Broly hates the new dragon LOL he's used to being the only reptile now he shares with Kane and the geckos.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I didn't realize you'd moved in together, that is wonderful news. And I now remember how puzzled you were about the digesting for Broly. Imp is somewhat the same but since I've been giving him Tracie's Reptophilus, her new probiotic, his digestion has improved greatly. He gets 1 ml a day and it really helps, much better than the one she used to sell. This one she makes herself and sells on her site. I'm glad you and Tom found one that works for Broly. Imp is on panacur again, so he gets the Retophilus the 7 days a week between the 3 days of Panacur. Still helping, even though his poops are still a bit stinky, but getting better.

I hope you can post pics of your wedding, I'm so hyped that you found the right person for you!

And ever since I was reminded about the mix I made for Imp last year that healed him up, I've been giving Gabriel the mix. It's made a huge difference with him, he now trots across the living room like he doesn't have a huge belly, and his beard is the pretty tangerine colour more often. He still black beards Imp (they can see each other), so he gets to use his black beard often. Just like normal. There will come a day when he won't be this well anymore and I'll have to take him to the vet, but he's not in pain and as long as he seems happy, I'm glad to keep him.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Well we're glad Broly can digest instead of some BM then undigested matter coming with it. Bromelain works well it's from pineapple. He really loves the stuff he'll take without hesitation or refusal.
We have Broly, Kane and tokay in our room. Kane is close to the gecko and Broly is on the other side alone. We have the gargoyle and leos in the living room. We have 1 gargoyle and 4 leos. Seperate enclosure so the gargoyle isnt with the leos. We have 5 tanks..uvb on the day critters and heating pad on the leos (thermostat).
Im glad I found him too! I never showed Rex (my ex) in any pictures...I guess it was better that way. I do still text him now and again because we did leave on good terms. Tom doesnt care about me being friends with my ex. I met Tom's ex that he texts now and again too. She's sweet and is not sabotaging us. Rex and her are gonna be at the wedding Tom and I don't think it's bad at all. We're not thinkin about kids with so many reptiles in the house. We're reptile nerds and they're children. On valentines, we're going to dinner and a movie (finding a horror movie).
I moved in November 2016...I just didn't say anything.
Hoping I get pics too ofvthe wedding LOL knowing Tom he might duck out of pics. Hes not a picture person LOL. He gets intimidated in front of a camera..it has something to do with childhood. It's too much for a site like this so I can't say anything here.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
No worries, Kami, don't have to say anything else. A pic of you in your dress would be nice but not if you're not comfortable with that either. And it's good that you're still friends with your exes, shows that there was nothing nasty about the break ups, just the wrong people. I admire that. I'm just good being on my own with my babies. I know I have a son & grandchildren, but it's great to visit him and my grandbabies in his home now, they were wearing me out and he wasn't comfortable living here. He found a really good woman that I really like and they really love each other. She went out of her way to make my grandkids comfortable, so it's all good. They're in a 1 bedroom right now, all they can afford, so they're going to get bunkbeds for the kids in the living room and give away one of the sofas. She has a 19 year old daughter who thinks my grandbabies are awesome and beautiful (wait until she babysits LOL). It's all working out. He still gets stressed about the way Tara acts (she was going to call the police on him because he & the kids fell asleep early and he didn't answer his phone, she called me telling me that!) So we decided that if it happens again, she can go ahead & call the police and she'll be charge with a nuisance call, not a good idea for her or the kids.

I wish you two all the best. I have 3 cresties and a leo, plus the 5 beardies, all in their own tanks in the living room, it's nice that my dragons can be out of their tanks on run around time now that the kids aren't here. I love them dearly, but I'm too old for full time kid care, just grandma care :D

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom