Probiotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Hi All,

Unfortunately, the little one's fecal came back positive for unsafe levels of coccidia, and also pinworms... :cry: He wasn't showing any other symptoms, eating and pooing like crazy, but... obscenely smelly poos all of a sudden!! I've had him for a little over a month, so it was probably good to check, anyway. He was getting roaches from an online supplier, but they stopped shipping over the holidays, so PetCo crickets were my only option when I ran out... Not pointing any fingers, but that is the time when the smelly smelly poos started...

Anyway, he's got his antibiotic and his dewormer, but now I'd like to get him some probiotics to put back the good bacteria- Any suggestions?

Also, I read the Acidophiliz+ in the article on this site, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Any thoughts on Bene-Bac?

Thanks in advance, you're all so helpful around here! :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy. Fortunately those are relatively easy to treat so he should be back up and running soon. Probiotics are a good idea. Unfortunately Acidophiliz+ isn't made any more. I'm not crazy about bene-bac due to a strain of bacteria mixed in that is potentially harmful to humans. I suggest getting some Reptophilus from Tracie. It's what I use now. http://www.bug-de-lite.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=Acidophiliz It's also a good idea to keep him well hydrated during treatment. I mix 1ml of probiotic with 4ml of water in a plastic syringe and drip the mixture on my dragon's nose to lick up so he gets plenty of both.

Do be sure to clean very well to prevent re-infection. If you can pick up some vetericyn spray it might be helpful. You can use that to disinfect his bum after he poops. For the tank, I suggest using a steam cleaner to sanitize everything regularly. Coccidia is a bit of a pain to get rid of so steam (heat) or an ammonia 10% mixture will kill it off. I'm not sure if F10SC is effective against it or not but it's also good to have on hand either way.

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Awesome, thanks!

Yep, he wasn't very happy with me, but I took everything out and cleaned the tank with hot water and antibacterial soap, then rinsed, and rinsed again with vinegar. (We use a lot of vinegar in my house!) All his 'furniture' got the same treatment, and the rocks/bricks got a bake in the oven. (I am also a chef, and very familiar with heat as a sterilization factor! :D ) A steamer would probably be easier than boiling water, maybe I'll look into that. He also got a bath himself with some very mild unscented natural soap, which I do try to at least wipe his bum with after poos. Definitely trying to keep the little guy hydrated, too, so probiotics in his water dropper will be helpful!

Tomorrow he'll get the last dose of the first med, then three more doses in three weeks, and seven days straight of the second med, and a poo test at the end of the month. Fingers crossed he'll "pass"!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Vinegar is good for cleaning. I use it as well. It won't sanitize and kill coccidia though so you'll want steam or ammonia for that. I picked up a shark steam cleaner at big lots for about $40 and it's great. About the size of a tea kettle. Giving him a wipe is good as are the baths. I use Dr Bronner's Baby Mild soap for bathtime as needed. Let me know if you need any more info and keep us updated =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom