Possible Impaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!
I'm a new beardie owner, and I recently got a juvenile bearded dragon. He hasn't pooped for 2 days he's roughly 4 months old. He is active, looks healthy, and is eating. There are no hard spots on his but but he's a tiny bit bloated.
I'm worried he's impacted.
I called a vet and asked questions and they told me just to keep an eye on him, soak him for 30 minutes in warm water, but he still didn't poop.
I looked online, he doesn't have any symptoms other than not pooping.
I'm worried sick, though. He's my little baby.
A friend of mine told me to try vibration so I put him on my phone for a minute, he fell asleep to that but nothing.

Any more ideas?
If he doesn't poop by tomorrow, I am taking him to the vet to be sure.. I just want to see if there's anything I can do before that since he seems perfectly fine..

Picklepies

Hatchling Member
Heya, I've read that you can try plain apple sauce mixed with olive oil, drop a bit on his snout and if eaten it should help to move things along :) I like that the vibrations put him to sleep!
Is his basking temp and cool temps good, as it might hinder digestion if not?
Hopefully he poops soon, I know it can be stressful when theyight be sick xx

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, try the appleasauce as mentioned. Other natural laxatives are baby food squash or prunes, canned pumpkin [ no spices ] and a few drops of veg. oil mixed with any of those.

But him not goung for a few days is not at all an emergency and he will go prob. within the week. Sometimes going to a new home adds stress and causes a bit of constipation but he will be O.K and you don't really need a vet. Soaking in warm water for 10 minutes [ not 30 , that's way too long ] can help.

Can you post a few pics of him and also his set up ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit XIMG

CalypsosMommy

Original Poster
Picklepies":1a19m7z5 said:
Heya, I've read that you can try plain apple sauce mixed with olive oil, drop a bit on his snout and if eaten it should help to move things along :) I like that the vibrations put him to sleep!
Is his basking temp and cool temps good, as it might hinder digestion if not?
Hopefully he poops soon, I know it can be stressful when theyight be sick xx

Alright, I tried pumpkin with olive oil since I didn't have any applesauce and I've heard it has the same effects, so I gave him the size of a cricket to eat.
The temperatures might be a little low since it's really cold out. So I covered the top to keep the heat inside so it's about 85 right now.
He also has calcium sand, i forgot to mention.
The habitat came with it (Zoo Med Bearded Dragon 40 Gal) so I thought it was okay, but I read different opinions about it online..

CalypsosMommy

Original Poster
AHBD":3c29vi4z said:
Hi there, try the appleasauce as mentioned. Other natural laxatives are baby food squash or prunes, canned pumpkin [ no spices ] and a few drops of veg. oil mixed with any of those.

But him not goung for a few days is not at all an emergency and he will go prob. within the week. Sometimes going to a new home adds stress and causes a bit of constipation but he will be O.K and you don't really need a vet. Soaking in warm water for 10 minutes [ not 30 , that's way too long ] can help.

Can you post a few pics of him and also his set up ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit XIMG

Alright, I gave him some pumpkin with oil, about the size of a cricket.
I posted the picture.
I got him recently so there isn't an awful lot in the tank, i actually just switched things around in the tank so the leaves are closer to the lamp. He likes to climb them and bask on top, so he gets maximum warmth. Them he climbs down to the bridge to cool down.
I forgot to mention there is calcium sand. I've heard mixed opinions on it, and it came with the tank..

Picklepies

Hatchling Member
Heya, the calcium sand probably doesn't help as it's not too good with moisture, but it sounds like you haven't had your beardie long enough for it to make a dramatic impact. If you can change it to a more solid substrate it might help :) did the sauce and oil do anything? Xx

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. That calcium sand is one of the worst substrates you can use. Digested it will turn into concrete and will definitely cause major impaction issues.

CalypsosMommy

Original Poster
Picklepies":2wk8jpua said:
Heya, the calcium sand probably doesn't help as it's not too good with moisture, but it sounds like you haven't had your beardie long enough for it to make a dramatic impact. If you can change it to a more solid substrate it might help :) did the sauce and oil do anything? Xx

I'm planning on switching the sand tomorrow. I don't want it to become a problemishes for the poor thing in the future..
The pumpkin worked! Literally 20 minutes after eating he pooped and is less bloated.
Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom