HELP!!!!!Baby beardy not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

northsider

Hey my name is james byron my baby beardy has just stopped eating as of yesterday and she has been eating normal evry otherday i have another beardy in tank with her same age and that one is happy as larry plz somebody can u help me

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Keep offering the live bugs two/three times a day.

Likely no big deal , might just be on the verge of a shedding.

Just noted you have two hatchlings housed together, , who look very cute together and look like they love each other. Common mistake unfortunately.

A strong possibility is the other hatchling is a more aggressive eater and it is starting to dominate the other , this is very common , and the reason why experienced beardie keepers DO NOT house beardies in groups, they are naturally solitary animals and do much better when they have their own private tank.
The issue is very serious , it means the subservient hatchling will NOT get it's fair share of food (live insects UNLESS you hand feed it) , it will not have access to the best basking and sleeping spots, and it will be under continuous stress , so it will fail to thrive , grow and develop the way it should.
Eventually the dominance will become very physical and violent attacks by the dominant are possible and can easily result in the subservient being severely maimed /injured , even killed.

See shocking results of two beardies housed together :

JnXtxkt.jpg

pLzGfXP.jpg

dH95wKc.jpg

from viewtopic.php?f=45&t=228673

If those photos don't shock you into separating the pair , I don't know what will.

Your options are :
>>> partition the existing tank into 2 identically lit/heated/ furnishes areas if it is possible
>>> obtain a second tank and relocate the DOMINANT hatchling into this, it can afford another period of relocation stress
>>> set aside the existing tank for later when they have grown a lot , it will do for one them to be rehoused in then , in the mean time visit the local hardware store and buy two 100L (a good size) stackable tubs with clear see thro sides , and convert these to beardie hatchling rearing tubs , all you need are the following bits of kit
--- an electric soldering iron (to make air ventilation holes (recommend maybe two lots of 100, one lot low on one narrow side, the other high up on the opposite side
--- a power drill
--- some selftapping screws (hex head are best)
--- some c hook screws (to hold cables)
--- some self adhesive cloth tape (to secure cables)

EASIEST CHEAPEST SOLUTION (irrespective of if you sitting the tubs side by side on bench or the floor or stacking them
--- 2x 26W UVB200 globes
--- 2x NanoHoods to house the 26W UVB200s , mount the hood under the lid using the hexhead screws

OR if side you can away with a 36" t5 10-14%UVB and luminare across both tubs on a simple stand to lift keep the tube off the top of the rim of the tubs

OR if side by side or stacking
--- 2x 24W t5 10 - 14%UVB tube + 2x luminare (mounted) under the lid (best under a piece of plywood which is mounted near the top of the tubs in a way that the luminare and mount can be lift out if needed and allowing the lid to sit over top

for basking lamp/s
--- at least one komodo lamp stand
--- at least one ceramic lamp fitting
--- at least one 100W MVB (best) or 100W colourless par38 incandescent lamp
if mounting outside the tubs with the lid off
but
if lid to be on (or tubs stacked) for each tub
--- a ceramic lamp fitting attached to a piece of plywood mounted as described for the luminare
--- a 40W - 60W colourless incandescent globe (basking lamp)

A hide and maybe a climbing branch in each tub and you are done.
Bedding that works well is paper towelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom