My Baby Beardie is Scared of Me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkp94

Hi guys! I just got my first bearded dragon this past sunday at the Reptile Pomona Super show. He is about 2 months old, and such a cutie :).I think he has adapted to his new home very well, he is eating regularly, and loves chilling on his little pillow I got him. The only problem is I feel like he is getting more and more scared of me. When I first got him he would let me pick him up with ease, then a couple days ago he started running away from me, and now every time I even go near his enclosure he hides. He also always seems to have stress marks on his belly and chin. I want him to get used to me, but I also don't want to stress him out too much. I have only held him for a few minutes about twice a day before I feed him, and then once to give him a bath. Should I hold him more or less? And is this normal behavior for babies? Any advice would be a great help. Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds pretty normal. Don't worry about the dark marks as those are very common with young dragons. Since he's hiding from you I'd give him some space. Go near his tank and get him used to you cleaning it and refreshing food but if he hides don't approach him for a bit. Just give him a week or two to settle in and get used to you being around. You could try gaining trust by hand feeding him some black soldier fly larvae (phoenix worms) which are a good treat that he'll probably enjoy. Be patient with him and he will eventually become comfortable around you. Don't push too hard at first though as not to cause unnecessary stress.

rkp94

Original Poster
Okay thank you! I have been taking him out for a bit when I feed him insects because I like to take everything out of his cage and monitor his eating. Should I not do this and just leave some roaches in there during the day? I kind of like to count how many he eats during each feeding though.
Thanks for the response:)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I usually offer bugs in the main tank. I found that dusting them in a cup (I use a yogurt cup, anything similar will work too) just a few at a time and offering them in small batches helps to be able to track them around the tank. I just keep offering small batches for about 10 min or until interest is lost. That makes it easy to scoop up any leftover bugs so they don't hide in the tank.

rkp94

Original Poster
So I have been giving my baby some space, but I am having trouble feeding him. He will not eat if I am by the tank. He just runs away and hides. Anyone have any advice on how I can monitor his feeding if he won't eat in front of me? He used to slowly come up to the front of the tank when I would feed him and wait for more roaches, but now he just hides and won't move. I try to get him to eat while I'm there, but usually just end up putting the bugs in the tank since he won't move. I don't want to have to keep leaving bugs in there and hope he finds them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom