I think my baby beardie might hate me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbdragon95

I just got my bearded dragon from a pet store 10 days ago (jan 5). He normally ran away when I tried picking him up at first, but I thought that was normal because I'd just gotten him. Recently he started opening his mouth like he wanted to bite me, and the other day he actually did. After I pick him up, he normally just lays there while I rub my finger on his back. But today, he suddenly got up after it seemed like he was relaxed, climbed up my chest and began biting my neck. I picked him up and put him back in his tank, but I don't know what else should I do. I just don't understand why he suddenly changed his behavior like that...

Well, just remember you're a big scary giant. :lol:

I don't think your beardie hates you. They just have a big personality- and are probably a little scared! Maybe you can spend some time sitting next to the enclosure talking to them, so they get used to the idea of you being near without touching them. You can even try stopping by the enclosure and offering a little petting here and there without taking them out. Just small, brief interactions so they start to learn you aren't a predator.

In addition to that, find a food/treat they like, and every time they act like they're going to bite you, offer the treat so they learn to associate you with something they like instead of big scary hands. That way, when you do want to take them out, you'll have something you can use like a training tool. Kind of like those tiny kibble sized treats used for dogs :lol:

Try to move slowly, so you don't startle them. And if they are really upset, and do bite you before you can get them out- back off and give them some time to chill before you try again?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Opening the mouth while flattening out the body is beardie language for "I'm scared of you / think you want to eat me , but look I'm a big spikey scary lizard , so go away" , it's all bluff, as a beardie would sooner get up on it's hind legs and run away than attack you/bite you.

While your hatchling is doing this you could take advantage of the big open mouth and pop a tasty bug into it when ever you see it doing this (especially when you want to pick it up), hatchling will either decide you are OK since you give it yummy things or will get so full of bugs it'll keep it's mouth shut so you can't put more bugs in there.

Give him some space, keep the handling to the bare minimum, and let him settle in for 2 to 3 weeks (he's stressed = relocation stress) and scared of you (all he sees in looming great terrifying creature who he thinks wants to hurt or eat him, and when he sees your hand chasing him about it's a horrible five headed monster....never chase a lizard about in it's tank this will only reinforce it's fear of you.

Best to wait until hatchling is relaxed / sleepy to pick it up, and my approach is to slip my right hand under it's body while placing my cupped left hand over it's body (from behind) , making sure it's body is well supported while lifting it out and placing it on my tummy/chest where I use the gentle weight of my left wrist on the thin half of it's tail to discourage the beardie from dashing off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom