Size of my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess280

Hi,

I have three beardies, they are all in their own 4ft tanks and are still juveniles. Two are growing well but one is alot smaller than the other two. I was just wondering whether I should be worried? His tail isn't as long as the other two as it was bitten at the end. But in regards to head and body size he is smaller. He seems to not be eating willingly lately, unless I feed him his bugs and never eats his greens. Any ideas? Thanks, Jess

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you post some photos of him? Is he alert and relatively active? Some of them grow at different rates so if he's smaller but active that may not indicate a problem. If he's acting lethargic it could mean something is off. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Also are they all siblings ?

Is the smaller's tank positioned in the middle with the other tanks either side ? (Might be a dominance thing going on).

I have 2 siblings who are currently 14 months old ,a boy(Toothless) and a girl (Peppa), and there is about 100g difference in their sizes despite IDENTICAL husbandry even down to the same number of bugs each meal give or take 2 crickets.
My girl Peppa is much more laid back and smoogy and has always been great on the tooth, my boy Toothless is a hyperenergetic livewire. Both are in perfect health.

So you see you can see changes in their growth rate that comes down to differences in genetics , sex , and personality.

Jess280

Original Poster
CooperDragon":32wo709g said:
Can you post some photos of him? Is he alert and relatively active? Some of them grow at different rates so if he's smaller but active that may not indicate a problem. If he's acting lethargic it could mean something is off. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

I will upload some photos for you, he is alert but doesn't run around as much as the other two. He loves attention in regards to coming out of the cage. For a while he would look out of the glass, leaning against it as if he was bored?

Jess280

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":17hnxtx4 said:

Is the smaller's tank positioned in the middle with the other tanks either side ? (Might be a dominance thing going on).

I have 2 siblings who are currently 14 months old ,a boy(Toothless) and a girl (Peppa), and there is about 100g difference in their sizes despite IDENTICAL husbandry even down to the same number of bugs each meal give or take 2 crickets.
My girl Peppa is much more laid back and smoogy and has always been great on the tooth, my boy Toothless is a hyperenergetic livewire. Both are in perfect health.

So you see you can see changes in their growth rate that comes down to differences in genetics , sex , and personality.

They are siblings yes. No, I have one tank in the living room and two in the kitchen one on top of the other. So the smallest s(Sidney) viv is ontop of another one. I feed the same amount of crickets too, but he doesn't seem immediately interested. Will let them run around without even looking at them. The other two beardies (spritzle and caesar) go mental when it's feeding time, biting the bag and eating as fast as possible.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jess280":nkxbhob6 said:
kingofnobbys":nkxbhob6 said:

They are siblings yes. No, I have one tank in the living room and two in the kitchen one on top of the other. So the smallest s(Sidney) viv is ontop of another one. I feed the same amount of crickets too, but he doesn't seem immediately interested. Will let them run around without even looking at them. The other two beardies (spritzle and caesar) go mental when it's feeding time, biting the bag and eating as fast as possible.

He knows his sibling is nearby I reckon. So despite them being in separate tanks , there might be dominance going on.
I would seriously consider handfeeding Sidney to be sure he gets his bugs.

Jess280

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3pxdtw4p said:

this is Sidney, the smallest:
89069-2877556170.jpg
[
89069-3665199708.jpg
89069-1272372236.jpg

this is our biggest, Caesar.
89069-3518066136.jpg
89069-1907043928.jpg

This is the middle man, spritzle.
89069-528896582.jpg

Sidney, left. Spritzle, right. Hard to tell in these though due to the way Sidney is sat. Spritzle is still bigger, especially in regards to head size.
89069-6596155581.jpg
89069-8284194492.jpg

Apologies for us in them, hard trying to show difference in size through images :lol:

Jess280

Original Poster
Not doing well hand feeding Sid. Only last few days I've managed to get him to eat a few mealworms and one hopper. Could he be in winter shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom