Size of my beardie

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Size of my beardie

Postby Jess280 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:56 am

Hi,

I have three beardies, they are all in their own 4ft tanks and are still juveniles. Two are growing well but one is alot smaller than the other two. I was just wondering whether I should be worried? His tail isn't as long as the other two as it was bitten at the end. But in regards to head and body size he is smaller. He seems to not be eating willingly lately, unless I feed him his bugs and never eats his greens. Any ideas? Thanks, Jess
Jess280
Newbie Poster

Re: Size of my beardie

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Can you post some photos of him? Is he alert and relatively active? Some of them grow at different rates so if he's smaller but active that may not indicate a problem. If he's acting lethargic it could mean something is off. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Also are they all siblings ?

Is the smaller's tank positioned in the middle with the other tanks either side ? (Might be a dominance thing going on).

I have 2 siblings who are currently 14 months old ,a boy(Toothless) and a girl (Peppa), and there is about 100g difference in their sizes despite IDENTICAL husbandry even down to the same number of bugs each meal give or take 2 crickets.
My girl Peppa is much more laid back and smoogy and has always been great on the tooth, my boy Toothless is a hyperenergetic livewire. Both are in perfect health.

So you see you can see changes in their growth rate that comes down to differences in genetics , sex , and personality.
CBDs: Puff (RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born 9/2010).
EWSs : Lucky (wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby Jess280 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:08 am

CooperDragon wrote:Can you post some photos of him? Is he alert and relatively active? Some of them grow at different rates so if he's smaller but active that may not indicate a problem. If he's acting lethargic it could mean something is off. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

I will upload some photos for you, he is alert but doesn't run around as much as the other two. He loves attention in regards to coming out of the cage. For a while he would look out of the glass, leaning against it as if he was bored?
Jess280
Newbie Poster

Postby Jess280 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:12 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Also are they all siblings ?

Is the smaller's tank positioned in the middle with the other tanks either side ? (Might be a dominance thing going on).

I have 2 siblings who are currently 14 months old ,a boy(Toothless) and a girl (Peppa), and there is about 100g difference in their sizes despite IDENTICAL husbandry even down to the same number of bugs each meal give or take 2 crickets.
My girl Peppa is much more laid back and smoogy and has always been great on the tooth, my boy Toothless is a hyperenergetic livewire. Both are in perfect health.

So you see you can see changes in their growth rate that comes down to differences in genetics , sex , and personality.

They are siblings yes. No, I have one tank in the living room and two in the kitchen one on top of the other. So the smallest s(Sidney) viv is ontop of another one. I feed the same amount of crickets too, but he doesn't seem immediately interested. Will let them run around without even looking at them. The other two beardies (spritzle and caesar) go mental when it's feeding time, biting the bag and eating as fast as possible.
Jess280
Newbie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:48 pm

Jess280 wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:Also are they all siblings ?

They are siblings yes. No, I have one tank in the living room and two in the kitchen one on top of the other. So the smallest s(Sidney) viv is ontop of another one. I feed the same amount of crickets too, but he doesn't seem immediately interested. Will let them run around without even looking at them. The other two beardies (spritzle and caesar) go mental when it's feeding time, biting the bag and eating as fast as possible.

He knows his sibling is nearby I reckon. So despite them being in separate tanks , there might be dominance going on.
I would seriously consider handfeeding Sidney to be sure he gets his bugs.
CBDs: Puff (RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born 9/2010).
EWSs : Lucky (wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby Jess280 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:06 am

CooperDragon wrote:Can you post some photos of him? Is he alert and relatively active? Some of them grow at different rates so if he's smaller but active that may not indicate a problem. If he's acting lethargic it could mean something is off. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

this is Sidney, the smallest:
[Click image to enlarge]
[[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]

this is our biggest, Caesar.
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]

This is the middle man, spritzle.
[Click image to enlarge]

Sidney, left. Spritzle, right. Hard to tell in these though due to the way Sidney is sat. Spritzle is still bigger, especially in regards to head size.
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]

Apologies for us in them, hard trying to show difference in size through images :lol:
Jess280
Newbie Poster

Postby Jess280 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:07 am

Not doing well hand feeding Sid. Only last few days I've managed to get him to eat a few mealworms and one hopper. Could he be in winter shutdown?
Jess280
Newbie Poster

Return to Health