DEVELOPMENTAL STAGES

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Great, sounds like improvement already. :) Just do a little of the slurry to see if he'll be more interested in the bugs.

AineLovesSteves

Original Poster
yes of course :) slurry is for back up if he seems totally disinterested in the bugs as Im not letting him go without food. Have to come up with a better name for it though... "slurry" doesnt sound particularly appetizing . Heres another picture of the wee man nearly two foot in the air dangling off his log :D :) <3

89924-5002470706.jpg

Stres

Hatchling Member
AineLovesSteves":17j5u5c9 said:
well that was short lived as the bulb just blew! what a waste of 30quid

Oh that sucks !

Did you cover your hands when handling the light ? The grease/moisture on your skin combined with the temperature the lights get to can easily make them blow.
You should always cover the light with a paper towel or put a sock on your hands when fitting or removing them to avoid them blowing.
Of course it could have been a bad light and worth trying to get a refund or replacement if possible.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no ! Just what you didn't need. :( But you have the Arcadia long tube 12% for uvb if I remember ? If so, just get a basking spot halogen bulb, it doesn't need to be " made for reptiles " but you can get one at the asda store.

AineLovesSteves

Original Poster
yeah i have requested a replacement bulb as im hoping my one was just defective in some way and im off to asda now to get a halogen bulb.such a pain. Didnt know that about the moisture on my hands but i put it in using a teatowel so i didnt actually touch it. Balthazar didn't eat live food today after eating some last night.So we were on the slurry again. But [and im aware this sounds crazy] he feels heavier than he did two days ago and his beer belly is definitely a bit more substantial so im remaining positive :D

My friend met him for the first time today and asked "does he bite/hiss?" such a common misconception.....everyone says they are "gross" but he is so docile..such a good pet...like the Labrador of the reptile world..totally in love..the kids in the hospital i work in enjoy seeing pictures of his progress so hopefully im changing a few misconceptions that way

Have a lovely day my fellow lizard slaves!x

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Great, everything should work out fine.

And yes, beardies are darlings. I used to sell babies to a mom + pop pet store that loved them + took great care, handled them regularly, etc. They would take a few animals to a nursing home a couple times a month and the beardies were always a hit. :)

Of course it was always stressed that the dragon be clean + the elderly would clean their hands after if they touched them. That's important with older folks especially [ as well as small children or persons with weak immune system ]

AineLovesSteves

Original Poster
FINALLY:

Replacement bulb arrived no extra charge:) plus i have a spare in case this one blows too. and since its been in the viv the wee man has been running around the viv and chasing and eating crickets :D

GOODBYE SLURRY!

The light makes him look so orange and i noticed he has red bits too.Such nice colouring.Like a wee fireball

89924-4448922146.jpg

AineLovesSteves

Original Poster
After his initial eating of a few dubias/crickets he has now stopped again and is resting/sleeping most of the day but is alert when i pick him up but then goes to sleep very shortly on my arm/chest. Have gone back to feeding him the slurry of blended crickets/locusts with water which he is very compliant with.You can tell he doesnt really love being fed by syringe but hes so good natured he just gives me the old stink eye and drinks it and then goes back to sleep on me. Poops have always been and are still very regular-at least 1-2 a day and all normal colour/not foul or runny/no worms etc.

But Ive noticed around his nose area the skin looks dry and very slightly white.Im beginning to think he might be shedding but he has been like this [low appetite] for a week or two now.Seems very long for the beginnings of a shed but then again what would i know?Im wondering if perhaps the first shed can take a bit longer/have more of an effect on their behavior? Still giving him regular baths/misting which he actually seems to like. Its hard to get him back into the viv after feeding/bathing...i think he would live on me if he could...id probably let him too if i was warm enough to maintain his body heat!

Im such a worry wort.Hopefully he is just shedding.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I was sad to read your post in memorials. Poor little guy. I'm sure he appreciated your love and care and had a good life despite how short. I know how tough it is to lose a dragon and how much you miss him. It sounds like you gave him a good resting spot with the flowers and he is at peace with no pain.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry to see that you lost your little guy. :( You tried so hard....,my heart goes out to you. :(

AineLovesSteves

Original Poster
I am utterly devastated. I am still crying. The vet didn't know what was wrong. He suggested he had been unwell from birth as my viv/lighting/heating/food etc was all ok. I wonder if some breeders perhaps don't take care of the babies very well but I dont know really.

I selfishly wish I had found him dead as watching him die was horrendous. It took me nearly an hour to bury him as I just couldn't bring myself to say goodbye. I feel so so guilty. I miss him.

And now I am torn whether or not to get another one. If it will make me feel better or just make me paranoid with worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom