frankie not eating and might have yellow fungus .

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Hi,
We got a baby bearded dragon on 23/12 /2016
She is 8 grams 6 inches was 7 grams prior to that, she has not been eating much .
Her set up is 20 gallons right now.
temp 95-110 if she wants to (basking light)
UVB reptisun 10 tube. Cool side 74-80 I have a temp gun
Tiles as her substrate
Lights on 6 am, lights off 8 pm
Last poo was yesturday
We did change her tank she was in 10 gallon (spouse surprised us with it so didnt have proper equipemnt) I had a 10 gallon at home and powersun 100 watt so used that for a few days before switching to 20 gallon and getting new lighting. We also change her spot 3 times due to having another bearded dragon at home.Last time I changed her spot was friday now she is all settled
When we got her she ate one reptiworm next day nothing, next day 3 reptiworm then nothing for feew days then I got some crickets and she ate a few of those.
Gave her some butterworms smallest I could get she ate 2 one day, 1 the other day and one another day, nothing yesturday.
So I have reptiworms, butterworms, silkworms crickets and she wont have any of them!!!
I saw some yellow tint near her mouth and thinking she might be sick (yellow fungus). I gave her squash last week and thought it was it, but its not coming off.
I have dixie who is thriving and doing well at 7 months . Dixie was in a 20 gallon before switching her to 50 gallons , she was 5 months then)
So now im at a lost. The temps are ok. she has the right equipment, only thing I can think is maybe the switching around or she is sick. I am taking necessary precautions right now because I think its YF. So no baths, washing hands, etc...
Here some pics
ty
88515-3548093317.jpg
88515-3054660736.jpg
[ximg]88515 3921878385[/ximg]
This is her tank but instead of powersun she has reptisun hood goes across the tank and basking light in front
[ximg]88515 868054396[/ximg]

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Nat.....did the spor appear suddenly or did it develop from a small speck ? How did you try to wash it off, can you use a washcloth or a baby toothbrush to gently stroke at it ?

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi AHBD,
It suddenly appear..no speck just that yellow thing .The first week it wasnt there, I hand fed and gave her baby squash on the nose , because she was not eating much and at that time she didnt have a poo so thought uh oh , but she did poo.So i though the yellow tint was the squash i gave her a bath and let her do whatever it didnt come off and I didnt scrub it off either so thought ill let her be for a bit. And that was maybe on Tuesday wednesday...of last week
But on Friday its when i took her and used cloth/baby toothbrush and gently scrub it and it didnt come off and a scale came off..how hard should i brush? She so little...
I was looking her over once again last night with a magnified glass and now I see tint everywhere my spouse says its her color like the tips behind her head those scaley tips> Has a tint of yellow on them...She has nothing on her belly or vent tho that looks good
Just concern now because she is not eating alot.
When I got the crickets in the first week and she ate them I said great! We found the things she likes, she ran after them and enjoyed being hand fed as well. Maybe we had two days of 8 crickets if that But then nothing.So I decided to give her butterworms she had a few but then nothing again yesturday. I tried giving her grub pie first week nope didnt want that. She ate nothing this morning, but she does poo every two days..

So I have tried, soldier worms, she hates those they crawl on her hands/feet and she flicks them off her. I tried squishing one then giving her a little taste nope dont like that
I tried silkworm and hornworm in smallest size i could find ,nope dont like that either.
No to grub pie last week, maybe try again this week.
Yes too cricket (size 1/8) 2 days then nope and yes too butterworms for three days then nope.
I live in canada so cant get Dubias
The squash she like the first week thats the only thing she kept licking..
So im out of Ideas ....

You think me fooling around with her tank so much and her having change of views would make her not eat?

Should I blend a slurry? Im kind of worried about her calcium level ,

Also it wasnt that hard with Dixie but then again she was 24 grams when I got her , Dixie ate after 3 days...
Im worried about if its YF because we all know thats a death sentence,...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, moving things around in the tank or moving the tank can cause stress for sure. Just keep her things the way they are and offer small amounts of bugs. You can cripple a few small crickets by shaking them up in a jar along with a pinch of calcium power and drop them near her or in her line of visio in the tank. Sometimes the slow moving, wobbly crickets attract them.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok Ill try that , I have been putting worms next to her basking rock and even on her basking rock, she looks at them but thats it...Do you think that thing looks like YF? If you had one bearded dragon with that thing on its face?I know u not a vet but your opinion on it

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1zrlemn1 said:
Yes, moving things around in the tank or moving the tank can cause stress for sure. Just keep her things the way they are and offer small amounts of bugs. You can cripple a few small crickets by shaking them up in a jar along with a pinch of calcium power and drop them near her or in her line of visio in the tank. Sometimes the slow moving, wobbly crickets attract them.
Thanks for the advice Ahbd ! I did what u said crippled them and she ate like 6/7!! I was :shock: !lol

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good, lol, the old cripple cricket trick works sometime. :)

As for the spot, it is possible that it's fungal but hopefully it's just a stuck on stain from the squash. When you tried the cloth + the toothbrush was she setting in the water ? That way you could wet it a few times to soften it. If that is not working, there really may be something there.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":26qc5p13 said:
That's good, lol, the old cripple cricket trick works sometime. :)

As for the spot, it is possible that it's fungal but hopefully it's just a stuck on stain from the squash. When you tried the cloth + the toothbrush was she setting in the water ? That way you could wet it a few times to soften it. If that is not working, there really may be something there.

I will try while she is in the water to scrub it off. I took a wet Qtip yesturday and try to rub it, seem some had come off ... I will try in the bath tonight

So another question with cricket you sprinkle calcium one feeding 5 times a week? Is that correct? I have exo terra calcium at home with D3 Is that good?? And herptivite for vitamins. You have any suggestions on how I can make her eat reptiworms instead??

I dont bother really with Calcium for Dixie she eats reptiworms and I throw in one or two variety worms in there with her food. She has a nice white long urate all the time :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good that it looks like some of the stain is coming off. :) Maybe it is just a hardened stain.

I can't tell you how to get him interested in the worms. If he's picky, give him crickets if tht's what he wants, but offer the worms every few days.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So is anymore stain coming off ?

And by the way, you still need to dust Dixie's food lightly 1-2 X a week with calcium + D3 to be sure she gets enough D3.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1942s5ly said:
So is anymore stain coming off ?

And by the way, you still need to dust Dixie's food lightly 1-2 X a week with calcium + D3 to be sure she gets enough D3.

Nope I thought some did but my eyes were deceiving me :( Its hard cuz she is squirming !! so cant get a good soak in. Least she eating a bit more now...
Ok I will do that for Dixie :)

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I took a look at her this am , seem the yellow is a bit less. I will know for sure this friday/ weekend when im off work so I can take a good look at her in the daylight. By the time I get home now its dark and hard to tell.
She is now 9 grams!! I had to change her hours a bit due to her waking up and not eating right away.
So I leave a few cripple crickets before work in her tank, another feed at 4 and 7 pm.She eats on average 5 little crickets each time so thats certainly an improvement!
She doesnt eat outside her tank for some reason.... so stuck feeding her in there and everynight I have to check under tiles too see of its cricket free..fun :roll:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hopefully there is some coming off. But it's good that she's developing a little appetite . :) Don't worry too much about 1-2 leftover crickets, they are not as harmful as made out to be. I've had beardies with cricks leftover in their tank once in a while for the more than 20 years of raising beardies and never had any harm done. You only have to worry if they are larger and/or there are a lot of them. One thing you can do if you're worried is to leave a small piece of veg., like a green bean or a piece of washed greens for any accidental leftover crickets at night. They will be busy chewing on that . :)

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I mix abut of grub pie with unsweetened applsauce & maybe a little chicken or turkey and blend it the chopper. He seems to like it that way. Of course I have to feed him like a baby.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":x4l5r6tx said:
Hopefully there is some coming off. But it's good that she's developing a little appetite . :) Don't worry too much about 1-2 leftover crickets, they are not as harmful as made out to be. I've had beardies with cricks leftover in their tank once in a while for the more than 20 years of raising beardies and never had any harm done. You only have to worry if they are larger and/or there are a lot of them. One thing you can do if you're worried is to leave a small piece of veg., like a green bean or a piece of washed greens for any accidental leftover crickets at night. They will be busy chewing on that . :)

I was.looking at some bearded dragons at petsmart with same colouring as Frankie and they seem to have a yellow tint where she has it.... .. so we will see. Ok will leave some veg out just in case, at night she does sleep in her tree usually but never know. Thanks for the info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom