Color, morph, huh??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ab24

Hi,

Newbie beardie owner here and just curious to know what my little baby will look like when hes all grown up. I was told he is a silkie german giant? I was also told the parents are reds but didnt see them so im not sure. I just bought him because the breeder was friends of a friend. I didnt realize upon purchasing that they even came in colors other than brown and i still have no idea what morphs mean... would someone know what mine is? Morphs if any? Thanks!
89599-4336772598.jpg
89599-8391401306.jpg
89599-5488641476.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a very beautiful + smooth leatherback. :) If it has black eyes or develops them, then it's also a transluscent. It looks a lot like some of the leathers I used to raise , I'll include a pic of one. The colors can intensify or fade as they get older depending on the genetics and the pattern is not as crisp either, but your dragon will be a beauty.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29849/full

EDIT....I just realized yours is a silkie. If it has G.Giant lines it should get huge but unless the parent dragon is large it may not be. And a silkie will retain more of it's pattern, too.

Ab24

Original Poster
Thank you! His eyes are black. What does that mean? Thats beautiful i love the colors! I guess the silkie part was a lie but thats ok. Does that mean i dont have to lotion him up anymore? Lol

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, he does look like a silkie, if he has absolutely no scales , which you can see mostly if you look at his sides, then he is a silkie. I read your first post too quickly + didn't see that part. :shock:
Can you get a close up of his face to show his eyes ? And yes, he will need lotion at times, pure aloe is probably best but you need to be certain there are no added ingredients, especially alcohol. Your basking temp. should not be higher than 100 either.

Ab24

Original Poster
Just got a really good picture of his eyes and realized they are brown. Ive never been able to see then that close since hes so tiny! I dont feel any scales or see any but he might just be too small for me to really know the difference. Im fine either way, i came into the pet with no knowledge of the differences so i have no preference lol
89599-8182482859.jpg
89599-6136674513.jpg
89599-4590156293.jpg
89599-4896065923.jpg

Taralachelle

Hatchling Member
AHBD":3rp9jqcl said:
No, he does look like a silkie, if he has absolutely no scales , which you can see mostly if you look at his sides, then he is a silkie. I read your first post too quickly + didn't see that part. :shock:
Can you get a close up of his face to show his eyes ? And yes, he will need lotion at times, pure aloe is probably best but you need to be certain there are no added ingredients, especially alcohol. Your basking temp. should not be higher than 100 either.

Wait wait this is new info to me! Silkies require lotion?! That's incredible. What about leatherbacks? ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Leatherbacks require no different special care because they still have scales, and yes, I've owned + bred leatherbacks. I never bred leather to leather, breeding leather to normal will produce a certain number of leather babies in every clutch but you have to breed leather to leather to get a silkie. Silkies [ I have owned one male which I purchased as an adult ] are different because they have NO scales, just soft skin which is much more delicate. Their skin may often get little blemishes here + there and can tear much more easily which is why a female silkie should never be bred because the male dragon bites back of the females neck during breeding. This can even cause a bit of bleeding in a normal scaled dragon, but in a silkie it's worse.

Here's a pic of my guy.....note the specks of skin shed here + these as well as the marks at the base of his tail. They have a harder time getting it off so lotion when shedding is a good idea, esp. at the tip of the tail + the toes.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29976/full

Ab24

Original Poster
Hes actually goinf through a shed right now! His first at 20 days old. Not sure if normal! But ill be giving him a nice warm bath and lotion maybe once a day or every other day

Taralachelle

Hatchling Member
Ab24":11h6ehyq said:
Hes actually goinf through a shed right now! His first at 20 days old. Not sure if normal! But ill be giving him a nice warm bath and lotion maybe once a day or every other day
He's a beautiful dragon! Congrats :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom