Lady lizard is positive for atadenovirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago I brought my juvenile bearded dragon, Lady Lizard, who is about 19 weeks old to the reptile vet and found that she had coccidia, pinworms, and flagellates. Just finished a round of medication and she's going back for testing again Monday. I then sent my bearded dragons fecal sample to a research associate laboratory through the Pats and found my animal is positive for the atadenovirus.

So Sad and distraught now with the news that my animal is really sick and will have Life long problems. Funny thing is she eats really really well and is quite active. Besides the fact that she had these parasites. I only had the testing because she's new and it was part of her routine checkup not because there were symptoms.

Her weight is amazing she's growing well and has never had an issue with eating ever. I just hope that she'll stay that way. I contacted the pet store Petsmart to tell them that my Bearded Dragon I purchased from the is positive for all these different things and they could care less. It's really is too bad people arent made more aware of this disease and how serious it is to your reptile. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

What's weird is that when I took her into the reptile vet (world reknowned herp vet) Dr.Funk in Mesa, AZ he said
that all Bearded Dragon's have this virus or are carriers. Is that true?

I also have a female beardie that scratches at night which worried she may be trying to lay eggs. I hope she's ok? Help?

88673-6712803864.jpg

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Oh wow I'm really sorry to hear that. that is a serious illness that progresses and I'm pretty sure not all dragons have it. However coccidia and pinworms are quite common in beardies. I do not know much about the disease, I wish I did :/ maybe if any good can come from this, your baby can serve to educate the rest of us. Hopefully he will continue to eat well and not show any signs of illness. And if he does we are all here for support. All you can do is move forward and give him a loving home for as long as you possibly can. Maybe another member who has more knowledge about the disease can offer some tips to help give him a better quality of life. Wishing him the very best.

As far as your female goes, do you know what her approximate age is? They are known to become restless and engage in digging behavior when they need to lay. However this can also be a sign of stress, becoming over heated, and just simply wanting to get out and play. Her age will help us to indicate if she is old enough to lay

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, there are a lot of [ I would never say all ] dragons that have it.... some dragons carry it without showing symptoms and there's no definite set life span. If she's healthy + eating, that's a very good sign. She may surprise you with how well she does.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
That's awesome news AHBD. I know only a small amount about the illness so I'm glad you jumped in to help. Hopefully your words will be much more reassuring to those with baby who have the illness.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
My lady beardie also has ADV. She was very thin and sickly when I got her. HOWEVER, it does not have t be a death sentence! The people here helped me out tremendously! One of the mods here, Drache613, is working toward a cure for the disease, and she can help you choose the right supplements to support your dragon's immune system and overall organ function. Here are some pictures of my girl for reference:

Early January, at 16g:

89594-9018381554.jpg

Two days ago, at 302g:

89594-8216190659.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you need any help or have other questions on adeno, let me know.
I would be happy to help further for you. I hope your dragon is doing better.
That isn't true, not all dragons have it or are carrying it. Unfortunately though,
at this rate, if breeders wont help to start cleaning the colonies up a lot will end
up with it.

Tracie

gbgirl1705

Original Poster
Thank you for all your warm wishes and kind thoughts information that you provided. I'm beardie isn't doing too well. She's constantly Hiding and didn't eat for a couple months. I had to supplemental her food for powdered and Feed her through a syringe. She is eating again and seems much better. Runny still though. I wish she'd feel well. I hate watching them suffer in anyway!!! Thank you all for your help and kind words.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope she starts feeling better! It is hard when they are not doing well, but it sounds like she
has started to eat some now on her own which is a great sign!
Be sure to supplement her on a regular basis to help support her immune system because that is
the most important thing you can do. You can also keep her around 80 in the tank overnight too
which helps to boost her immune system also.
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom