New baby beardie and lots of questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volt

Hello, everyone! I got a baby bearded dragon from a family on craigslist last week, and I have a lot of newbie questions. I named him Bowser, and he is very small and cute. I'm not actually sure if he's a male, though! The family I got him from said they got him only a few months ago from petco. I will measure him tomorrow when he is awake and see if someone can take a guess at his age and if he is able to be sexed accurately yet.

Alright, so about lighting. When I got him he was on a Zilla Tropical UVB coil bulb, a Zilla Day Blue bulb, and a regular halogen bulb (for extra heat). I replaced the coil (after reading disturbing things about coils) with a ZooMed "Repti Basking Spot Lamp" and kept the Day Blue. I see that the ReptiSun 10.0 tube is very highly recommended, and plan to get one this coming week. Could anyone explain to me or provide suggestions on how I might go about setting the tube up for him? The hot end of his tank never seems to surpass 95 degrees, and the other end is 80. He is in a 40gal tank. Any other lighting recommendations will be appreciated.

Now a bit about his behavior and eating habits. When I received him from the previous owners, they were feeding live crickets along with some greens and moist bearded dragon food. Thing is, a lot of the crickets were pretty big, and the uneaten ones were left to run free in his tank. I caught and put aside the crickets that were in the tank, and have tried supplying phoenix worms along with greens and his moist food. So far he has showed zero interest in eating those things. I chalked it up to stress from moving, but I started to get worried when he did not eat after a few days, so I got him some squash and chicken baby foods and he eats a little at a time, but not much. He does seem to like the chicken the best lol

At first, he'd just stay in his basking spot all day and do little else, and sometimes he would do a strange head-twitching thing. It's been a week and he seems to have stopped the creepy twitching completely, and just yesterday he started to have a little more energy and has been moving around his tank more. He is also starting to shed. I'm happy about it, but I still wish he would start eating! His poops are small and don't seem... substantial? They are mostly just white. Yesterday during his bath I noticed quite a lump in his tummy, and now I'm kinda worried that he's backed up in there.

That's all I can think to ask for now! I am hoping that a combination of new lighting and just getting used to his new home will improve his mood and his appetite! Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated! :D

93349aa2-c51d-4c53-b563-64e6fcb37765.jpg

(Here is Bowser during his bath today!)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Nix the blue light and go with the reptisun basking light for starters. And by all means get a tube type UVB pronto, because you don't have one now. The coil bulb is better than nothing at this point. Basking temps have a lot to do with how they eat. The temp should be between 100 and 110 for a baby dragon.

I suggest you get some pinhead crickets or small crickets for him. Only feed a few at a time so you can keep track of how many he eats at a feeding, they can eat as many as they want in a 10 minute time span 3 times a day. Make sure to get any that he doesn't eat, out of his enclosure (do not leave them in with him).

Volt

Original Poster
Thanks! I'll replace the blue with the coil for tomorrow until I go out for my beardie shopping trip on Saturday. What would you recommend for boosting the temp? Will the tube help with this as well? I'm dying to just run and get it tomorrow but I'll be at work all day!

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Tube will increase temps a bit. You're best off getting a stronger basking bulb and a dimmer hooked up with a thermostat.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Don't waste your $ on a reptile branded basking light, unless you opt for a GOOD quality (Arcadia say) mercury vapour globe (these will produce lots of heat, bright colourless light, and stacks of UVA and UVB (but focused under the globe at the basking spot, a good MVB is an excellent choice, but you cant control them with a thermostat (internal circuitry issues) .

Next best options are :
a suitable wattage clear colourless par38 incandescent spotglobe + UVB200 (26W) in a Nanohood or in a dome reflector
or
a suitable wattage clear colourless par38 incandescent spotglobe + 10-14%uvb t5 or t8 tube.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Volt":ohlpwd1w said:
Hello, everyone! I got a baby bearded dragon from a family on craigslist last week, and I have a lot of newbie questions. I named him Bowser, and he is very small and cute. I'm not actually sure if he's a male, though! The family I got him from said they got him only a few months ago from petco. I will measure him tomorrow when he is awake and see if someone can take a guess at his age and if he is able to be sexed accurately yet.

Alright, so about lighting. When I got him he was on a Zilla Tropical UVB coil bulb, a Zilla Day Blue bulb, and a regular halogen bulb (for extra heat). I replaced the coil (after reading disturbing things about coils) with a ZooMed "Repti Basking Spot Lamp" and kept the Day Blue. I see that the ReptiSun 10.0 tube is very highly recommended, and plan to get one this coming week. Could anyone explain to me or provide suggestions on how I might go about setting the tube up for him? The hot end of his tank never seems to surpass 95 degrees, and the other end is 80. He is in a 40gal tank. Any other lighting recommendations will be appreciated. <<<< can't comment on Zilla brand compact UVB coils, I use UVB200s for my beardies and these are excellent.
You should probably have kept the uvb coil and ditched the blue light globe.

Now a bit about his behavior and eating habits. When I received him from the previous owners, they were feeding live crickets along with some greens and moist bearded dragon food. <<<< toss the moist dragon bites - they are useless and off little to no nutritious benefit.
Crickets up to a size (length) similar to the distance between Bowser's eyes will be fine.
ONCE HE SETTLES IN
He will likely be able to 1/3 sized crickets if he's about 100g and 4 months old say (I am going on what my two youngest (Peppa and Toothless were doing at 4 months old).
He'll probably polish off up 30 medium-small (about 1/3 size) crickets per day, plus a bit of greens.
or 20 crickets + up to 4 medium sized (1.5-2in long) silkworms per day.
I found if I left the uneaten greens in the tank overnight, any rogue uneaten crickets would come out after the lights were turned off (my lighting schedule is on 6am , off 10pm) and I'd soon hear action in the rearing tanks - either Peppa or Toothless would be up stalking the food bowl and snapping up the crickets as they came out to nibble on the greens .... didn't take long for them learn this behaviour once they discovered the crickets when they got up to nibble in their greens (they'd find a cricket or 2 already there and make quick work of them). I rarely found more than 2 or 3 crickets in their tanks next morning when I did the tank cleanout and went looking for remaining rogue crickets. They never bothered Peppa or Toothless overnight - they'd go to the greens instead.

Thing is, a lot of the crickets were pretty big, and the uneaten ones were left to run free in his tank. I caught and put aside the crickets that were in the tank, and have tried supplying phoenix worms along with greens and his moist food. So far he has showed zero interest in eating those things. I chalked it up to stress from moving, but I started to get worried when he did not eat after a few days, so I got him some squash and chicken baby foods and he eats a little at a time, but not much. He does seem to like the chicken the best lol

At first, he'd just stay in his basking spot all day and do little else, and sometimes he would do a strange head-twitching thing. It's been a week and he seems to have stopped the creepy twitching completely, and just yesterday he started to have a little more energy and has been moving around his tank more. He is also starting to shed. I'm happy about it, but I still wish he would start eating! His poops are small and don't seem... substantial? They are mostly just white. Yesterday during his bath I noticed quite a lump in his tummy, and now I'm kinda worried that he's backed up in there.
<<< if you are worried he may be a little impacted - I find about 0.2ml of olive oil given orally by syringe (I used a crop needle made from SSteel to help get the medicine past the lips and teeth, only needs to get past them , he'll do the rest as I think lizards find olive quite tasty and nice) given once a day will help shift things along.
Though I suspect in your case it's just a matter of no / not much poos because he's not been eating well (the Bites wont be helping) and he's not been eating many crickets due to relocation stress and now he's in dumps because he's not feeling comfortable as he's due to shed or is shedding (some will go of the tucker while in shed).
The more insects he eats the more often he'll poo , when he's up to speed he'll likely be pooing every day (big poos - you'll wonder where he fit all that poo) , and you'll likely think he's become an eating-pooing machine.
At his age, and for a few more months you can expect sheds very frequently, and for Bowser to grow like a weed , they GROW FAST in their first 12 months. DON"T restrict his food intake , especially not the HIGH QUALITY insects, he'll need all that insect protein and calcium to grow and develop.
It's also a good idea IMO to make a predictable routine of lights on/off, feeding, snuggles, and to include a brief bonding session each day (I gave Peppa and Toothless their first 3 or 4 crickets each day by hand as my bonding routine).

That's all I can think to ask for now! I am hoping that a combination of new lighting and just getting used to his new home will improve his mood and his appetite! Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated! :D

<<<< This depends a lot on the actual dimensions and construction of Bowsers' tank. I had/still have Peppa and Toothless in 100L rearing tubs.

Here is an excellent guide http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/guide-bearded-dragon.jpg

The wattage of basking light will be governed by
--- the volume of the tank and it's height
--- the aim basking temperature (aim for about 40degreesCelsius)
--- the ambient room temperature (if the room is cold , you'll need more wattage)
--- if the tank has a solid lid on it or a mesh screen (get rid of the screen and replace it with a piece of precut plywood - this will hold the warmed air in , and you'll get a much more stable thermal gradient and require less wattage to warm things up.)
UV lighting
best = a mercury vapour globe (like an Arcadia http://arcadia-reptile.com/d3-uv-basking-lamp/)
next best = t5 10-14% UVB tube in a slimline luminaire with reflector (like http://arcadia-reptile.com/t5-slimline-luminaire/)
alternatively = t8 10-14%UVB tube in a luminaire with reflector
best if space is limited is a 26W UVB200 in a NanoHood

93349aa2-c51d-4c53-b563-64e6fcb37765.jpg

(Here is Bowser during his bath today!)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If he's on a sand or an other particulate style bedding, get rid of it, better off on sheets of kitchen grade paper towelling or sheets of news print.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
H there , I agree that he may be slightly impacted. A few drops of olive or veg. oil can help, so can baby food squash and sugar free applesauce but his temp. definitely needs to be higher to aid in digestion. Did you keep the halogen bulb ? That was helping to heat the tank. A good uvb bulb is needed ASAP, but a tube one will not raise the temps. at all....you still need the halogen bulb and the basking bulb if it's not warm enough in the tank and you may need a higher watt. Remember that only one side need be 105 degrees, with a cooler side around 78-80. Post a few pics of his tank to see how you can place the uvb bulb.

He is still a baby, looks to be only 6-7" or so, he will not need pinheads [ they are literally as small as a pencil tip ] but you can go with 1/4 [ not 1/3 ]' crickets for him. As was mentioned, the cricks should be no longer than the space between his eyes.

Hopefully he'll start doing better once you make some adjustments.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Just a clarification : 1/3 size (12-15mm) crickets : Acheta domesticus : as from my bulk insect supplier FROG ARCADE. Peppa and Toothless were about 100g when getting these.

Next size down is 25 day old (10-12mm) crickets : Acheta domesticus = probably about what you'd regard is 1/4 size.
I started Peppa and Toothless off on this size at 5 weeks old (about 14g).

Volt

Original Poster
Thanks everyone so much for your replies!

Bowser is on reptile carpet, so there's no risk of him eating any of it. I think the temp issue may also come from the fact that my room is quite cold (remodeled garage), I never even thought of that before. But I did go out and get him some stronger bulbs a bit ago along with the reptisun, and he's chilling (warming?) under those now. It's already up to 100 degrees in his spot now.

I will definitely try the olive oil thing. He seems to be trying to go but only a little comes out. Hopefully the more appropriate temps, food, and uvb will help him feel better soon. I guess I didn't realize just HOW important having correct lighting and heating is for reptiles!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Volt":20qpkehe said:
Thanks everyone so much for your replies!

Bowser is on reptile carpet, so there's no risk of him eating any of it. I think the temp issue may also come from the fact that my room is quite cold (remodeled garage), I never even thought of that before. But I did go out and get him some stronger bulbs a bit ago along with the reptisun, and he's chilling (warming?) under those now. It's already up to 100 degrees in his spot now.

I will definitely try the olive oil thing. He seems to be trying to go but only a little comes out. Hopefully the more appropriate temps, food, and uvb will help him feel better soon. I guess I didn't realize just HOW important having correct lighting and heating is for reptiles!

What overnight temperatures is he being exposed to in the converted garage ? if it's getting colder than 22oCelsius Bowser will benefit greatly from in tank overnight heating.

Don't let claims by "so called experts on beardies" who have never actually been to the natural range of the species or experienced at first hand the climatic conditions in summer and winter there and who claim beardies are exposed to frosty overnight temperatures in their natural range mislead you, I can tell you for a fact that overnight temperatures in central Australia rarely fall below 20oCelsius overnight in the breeding season and when most hatchlings are about. And an inch of so under the grass, or underground , or between boulders, it'll stay several degrees Celsius warmer overnight, and this is where you'll find most daytime reptiles overnight.
And even in winter there are never frosts in their natural range (never colder overnight than about 10oCelsius.)

Our deserts/savannah grasslands/and central dry woodlands are located at very low altitudes and in tropical latitudes and very warm overnight cf those in Nth America (which can be as high as a mile altitude and are located in temperate latitudes).

Little hatchlings / juvies like Bowser are very vulnerable to chilly overnight temperatures and he'll benefit greatly from having his tank warmed 24/7 especially in the colder months, he will be able to digest and metabolise his food better, and will be more likely to thrive..

Suggest in your climate (I'm assuming you are located somewhere in Nth America) maybe a combination of
---- ceramic heat emitter on a timer with it's output controlled by a simple switching thermostat aimed at keeping the area Bowser sleeping in warmer than 24oCelsius
and
---- a heat pad sandwiched between ceramic tiles located under his hide, also controlled by a simple switching thermostat , set to hold 36oCelsius 24/7.

All my pet beardies and skinks have one even though I live on a more tropical climate than you do and rarely gets colder overnight outside than 6oCelsius in winter and I've never seen a frost. This is my 5W version that Wriggles the Water Skink had under her hide viewtopic.php?f=75&t=224976 . My BT skinks and beardies have 7W versions and LOVE their toasty warm hides overnight .
For my beardies the heatslabs are kept at 36oCelsius 24/7. My beardie tanks never get cooler than 22oCelsius overnight even in winter.

Volt

Original Poster
He definitely has a nighttime heater, it would be wayyy too cold otherwise! In winter it can get chilly even for me and the ferrets sometimes, but we can just use blankets lol. His tank stays 75-80ish at night.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Volt":32nldush said:
He definitely has a nighttime heater, it would be wayyy too cold otherwise! In winter it can get chilly even for me and the ferrets sometimes, but we can just use blankets lol. His tank stays 75-80ish at night.

24-28 oCelsius is fine. Provided the heat source you are using o/night is not a coloured (red or blue) heatglobe, beardies have excellent colour vision and will have their sleep disturbed by coloured high light/heatglobes.

Definitely worth considering setting up a DIYS thermostat controlled heatslab under his hide too especially while he's so little and young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom