Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessi2526

I need help taming my leopard gecko. Any suggestions on how to tame him? I've had him for about a week and kind of scared him the other day. I just wanna be able to hold him and make sure hes doing ok. Please someone help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't know about them specifically but I would just spend time near his tank so he starts getting used to you. Maybe try hand feeding him. If he's OK with being picked up after a bit try just sitting with him and let him roam around a little bit.

Jessi2526

Original Poster
I just don't want to scare him because I've heard their tails fall off. I've had him for about a week. Just wanna make sure hes well adjusted

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Definitely go easy with him and don't force handling. I'm not sure about their tails though. There are others on here who have experience with geckos who may be able to provide more details.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
The tameness of a Leopard Gecko will definitely rely a bit on personality. Mine does not like to be handled as it does frighten her, so I let her be. With reptiles, because they get so easily stressed, just let them be for a few weeks. I would say at least 2. This time let's them adjust to their environment, all the news sounds and smells, without also worrying about a giant claw picking them up. After letting them settle, try handling later in the evening. They are crepuscular, so handle in the evenings when they would naturally start coming out. In the wild, the only thing likely to disturb them in the middle of the day would be a predator, so they are easily spooked. As for handling in the evening, try laying your hand in the tank for a few days in a row. Just set it down for a few minutes at a time. This way the gecko can start to realize that whenever they see you and your hand, nothing bad happens. Also try and be quiet and move slowly. If you move quickly, this will only encourage them to move faster to get away from you. Be calm and patient. After a week or so and just sitting by the tank with her your hand inside, you can try scooping up your gecko. They aren't like dragons, so will not just sit and cuddle for hours. They like to roam around, so when out, create a safe space for you to sit with them in where they can roam without dashing under or into something.

Leopard Gecko on YouTube makes EXCELLENT gecko care videos. I HIGHLY reccomend checking out her channel. I love her stuff. Here's one on taming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsbGYBaflDc

premammalian

Hatchling Member
Leopard geckos are somewhat fearful and quick when youngsters, and normally they should tame down as adults. However, if they aren't handled, they might remain cautious. You can start taming it as soon as you are sure it is eating and not stressed. First try spend sometime near the tank, go near it to observe him, etc. Then you can throw feeders near him, or generally in a way he can see you giving the food. Then you might want to start handling him. You shouldn't handle him too much at first, just picking him up to put him elsewhere when cleaning the tank is considered handling for now. He will be squirmy, but after a while he will realize you are not a threat. These geckos can drop their tails, but they are very reluctant to do so. But to be safe, don't pick him up by the tail. After sometime you can start handling him lightly, that is, just put the animal on the palm of your hand and/or hand-walk it. It should be fine. This should be done at the opening of the cage, to prevent falls and escapes. After some time, you can handle it farther from the cage. After a little more time, try to touch more other parts of its body. In 2 months at least it will have become tame. Some geckos become really tame, that is they don't object even if you touch them near the eyes, on the base of the tail etc, while other still go on alert when they think you might touch them in a threatening way. The most reliable indicator that your gecko is no longer stressed by you is feeding just after handling. That means the animal feels safe with you. Some geckos also eat outside their enclosure or in a smaller enclosure, but this is rare and those which do it don't eat every time outside, mostly when very hungry.
With this method I have tamed many leopard geckos. Hope I was of much help.

Regarding being worried about the tail, we would always have Tokay Gecko's inside the house when I lived in Asia and the only time their tales would fall would be when they actually get chased by something. I had thought previously that is happens when they get surprised but after watching a couple of the big ones go at each other it seemed to be more of an escape tactic when the tail was caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom