Feeding baby hornworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
I just got my baby dragon yesterday, and ordered him a cup of 25 hornworms. The hornworms arrived today, but I'm not sure if I can feed them to him because they seem large. They're about 1.5" long and maybe 1/2" wide at most.

I know I'm not supposed to feed anything larger than the space between the eyes, and sorry if this is a stupid question, but when calculating this, does it matter if length is too long, but width short enough? For example, is a 1.5" long hornworm okay to feed because the width is only 1/2" and shorter than the space between the eyes? Or does both length and width need to be smaller than the distance between the eyes? My dragon is 10" long and 10 weeks old.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
At 10" long I think your dragon may be able to handle this size, though I wouldn't go any bigger and hornworms grow extremely fast. You may want to refrigerate them every other day to keep them from growing too quickly.

If you believe your dragon usually chews food well you can try one out. Just give one and see how well he chews it and handles it first. A lot of people go by the width with worms instead of length, and they are so soft bodied this size should be fine

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He ate two of the small ones yesterday. I didn't see him chew - he never seems to chew! I'll take your advice and refrigerate them for a bit to slow down growth. Can I freeze them? I'm thinking he can't possibly grow fast enough to eat the larger ones --- could I freeze them until he's bigger? (Don't know if he'll eat insects if they're dead, but I can try...)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A 10" beardie can eat those easily, and you might as well give him the bigger ones first because they do grow at an explosive rate. Keeping them cool is fine, but don't freeze them. They will become soggy mush. Hornworms are great, but you have to be careful to not buy too many at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom