Brumation update 10/27/2016 daily updates to come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
Draconis is in brumation, I have his basking light off for now and the room temperature is kept around 73 degrees. How long should he be allowed to brumate? He had two days that he did a Half brumation until he made a little poop then went back asleep the first day then he made a massive poop the second day (like he was cleaning himself out) the second day) and went to sleep. I did change his box out for a paper bed with a blanket on top for him to lay on then lightly covered him with his other cover the way he likes to sleep. I also give him a daily reflex test (he is used to this when hes sleeping so he can get more comfy or i can change out his bedding if needed) just to make sure hes alright. Other wise i just let him do his thing while i grow out his bugs i am still breeding and they will be ready when he wakes up to eat! Is there anything else that i need to do? oh and hes around 8 or 9 months old....
:study:
He woke up this morning just enough to ask me to turn off his light and adjust his pillows and cover then gave me a little smile and snuggled back into his blankie and went back to sleep, so i guess he doesnt get that extra 3 worms and we are in for some more cold days (today has started out a bit cold outside) for the next few days!

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I tried turning on his basking light after a quick reflex test and poop check (he has been known to poop in his sleep and mommy is used to cleaning it and hes used to mommy cleaning it) and he actually glared at me from under the edge of his blanket until i turned it off then glared until the kids shut up.....yes he likes to have one edge slightly up and if it isnt he will do a sleep wiggle until it is. hes still doing fine and apparently loves a little beard message after his reflex check and poop check, i just do the reflex thing because i have read in the wild that they naturally re-position themselves for blood circulation its just a tiny shift but it helps keep sores from forming and they are able to get up and run if they need to...well he doesnt need to run but i dont want my lil guy to get sores.... he shouldnt but ill err on the side of caution.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The reflex test sounds like a good idea. I haven't needed to try that in person (yet) though. I would keep his lights going on a regular schedule and just give him a nice shady hide on the cool side. That way he can keep sleeping if he wants but if he wants to wake up and go bask a bit then he can do that too.

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":232rxr3m said:
The reflex test sounds like a good idea. I haven't needed to try that in person (yet) though. I would keep his lights going on a regular schedule and just give him a nice shady hide on the cool side. That way he can keep sleeping if he wants but if he wants to wake up and go bask a bit then he can do that too.
he was fidgeting and grumpy with the light on so i turned it off until he asked for it back on, he woke up around 11:30am today and had his cute little head poked out from between the covers like "hi mom". I turned on his lamp, put him on his bridge, and gave him a plate (its a litle tea saucer) of beardy bites. After he had basked for 45 minutes i showed him his bites he ate them and then gae me kissies and settled back on his bridge. I still have his bedding ready in case this is just a mid brumation wake up (i have heard of beardies doing this) and i know he prefers the lamp off and minimal noise while hes sleeping, and one side of his lower face expose.... he fidgets if i cover him as they show in the tutorials. It all boils down to what the individual dragon prefers.
86309-1333782501.jpg
btw this is his plate and i didnt fill it all the way up he just prefers it for his bites...

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It was a warm day today...maybe that was why he woke up, i predict in the following few days his scaley lil butt will be back under the covers brumating again! if hes not i owe him 3 extra worms.

You mean that they can Brumate at under a year old? I thought they had to be older before they would go into Brumation. At what age do they go into it?

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Another update: The reflex test worked better than expected, i was experimenting a bit to see a bit if I had to keep doing it if he did any other brumation sessions after his first. I was worried about my little guy because he wasn't shifting around like he was supposed to and it was his first one so mommy apparently had to "teach" him to shift about! Imagine mommies surprise when the little cutie did it on his own! He still expects the morning greeting and cover rearranging along with a gentle pet on the tail or back to relax him back to sleep after the noisy sibling parade, and mommy is happy to oblige his cute scaliness. He is my ESA in all the ways that matter (i am getting him certified with my doctor soon) and even though hes literally sleeping on the job, hes still doing his job! He still wakes up enough in the morning to say "hi mommy" and give me a sleepy beardie smile before he nuzzles back into his blankies and goes back to sleep. He also refuses to cover his face completely so he can still see me if he wants to without fighting the covers.

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
Original Poster
LinusTheOrange":2na0eoyf said:
You mean that they can Brumate at under a year old? I thought they had to be older before they would go into Brumation. At what age do they go into it?
They can safely brumate from 9 months on you just have to constantly stay on them during their first brumation.

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Karenxx67":5dnqc4qq said:
Im expecting Fuzzy to sleep for months ?
So long as you offer the occasional droplets of water (in the wild they get this from the environment) and check that your lil one is moving about and not tangled in their bedding your lil one will be fine. I was just a bit taken aback that my lil one decided to just drop off when we usually dont have cold weather this time of year....but he proved me wrong. My dad made a joke about how it was going to be in the 60s and i told him Draconis is a desert animal so to him thats freezing weather! :D I pay attention to the animals for weather forcasting more than the news anyway because, the animals know better. If the frogs are going nuts, it is about to rain, if the lizard sleeps in, it is best to take a jacket, if the birds fly south early, we are in for a very long cold winter...etc etc etc. Oh and, my dad is one to talk, when it hits in the 60s hes got his heavy jacket out.....:D

Edited to add that most keepers i have read up on have said every 4-5 days or so for the droplets. Draconis woke up to eat around that time then did his poop and then back to sleep so if yours does this they will be fine.

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Today in the morning he had his little foot out so i left it out when i readjusted the covers for him (his tail was twisted into them) and by 1 pm he had pulled all but the nails in then by 3 pm when i looked again at him the whole foot was all the way in there. Apparently his foot got cold....Also the side of his face was closer to the glass! :D

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Today he was half off of his little paper and blanket bed and not looking very comfortable so, being the wonderful mommy i am, I picked him up and placed him the other way on his little ground cover then covered him up. He did poke his head out for a little head petting and me to tuck him back in. He then played "cover monster" for a little bit and rearranged two of his emoji pillows then went back to sleep. he now has part of his left side and the left side of his face exposed with his little arm tucked backwards. My little spoiled rotten boy loves it when mommy checks on him in the morning and gives me little beardie smiles, and i swear hes even smiling in his sleep as i type this update!!! :D As for his pillows, one is at his butt the other is at his head.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
I been told every 10 days for water. I bathed him last wed. He drank a lot. I didnt bother offering food. He didnt seem interested. My crickers are dying off as hes not eating them. Not sure its worth buying any more yet.
Fuzzy tends to re arrange himself from time to time. Hes sleeping on the hit side of his tank. Tucked out of the way under the plastic leaves. He is also not fully asleep an peeps at me sleepily from time to time. I cant wait for him to wake up. X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom