Advice for a beardie with Adenovirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

So long story short. Last year when I got my beardie as a hatch-ling I had her tested (courtesy of tracie) and it came back as adenovirus positive. Went through the first year with little to no problems and a healhy and happy beardie. This year, starting about 2 months back she stopped eating entirely. I have been back and forth with the Cornell Vet Hospital (how can you go wrong with an Ivy League vet) and it turns out her liver is failing. I have been feeding her her daily nutrition daily since about 2 weeks after she stopped eating (per vets advice because babyfood didnt perk her back up) and am 2 weeks into an antibiotic treatment right now to rule out the liver failure being from bacterial sources and a month into milk thistle.

I've been a wreck worrying about her and was wondering if anyone else had been through something similar? What happened? What did you do?

MsCarter

Juvie Member
I'm so sorry to hear your baby is having such a hard time. I wish I could give you some advice but I know very little about Adenovirus. There are other users on here that may be able to provide you with some advice. Hopefully they will chime in and help your little one out a little

Diamondc12

Original Poster
Just got home from the vet today. They told me her liver is too far gone for anything to save her....so they gave me some medicine to help treat her symptoms to make her more comfortable so we can have a couple more days before bringing her to be euthanized. I don't know how people can convince themselves to do that. I guess I have to convince myself its the right thing to do. But it doesn't make it any easier.

To anyone with an adenovirus positive dragon...please start milk thistle early to prolong things as long as you can, and give your dragon the best life possible.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
I am so sorry to hear this :( that is definitely a heavy choice to make. Issues with the liver are just one of those things that can not be fixed once too much damage has occurred. This is not your fault and unfortunately what happens with this illness rather its early on or later in the game. So don't be hard on yourself. This little one was obviously very loved for you to have went through so much and it's great she got to spend her final days with someone who loved her

Thank you for informing us all about the milk thistle. Wishing you the very best, once again I am so sorry..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom