Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again. My bearded dragon Lou has like bubble eyes? It's quite weird but his eyes have always been like this. He's eyesight is pretty bad also, he needs glasses xD. But I was wondering if other beardies out there have it.
88217-5968030547.jpg
88217-7592197894.jpg
88217-6367679960.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is very odd, I have not seen this type of condition. There are some dragons with "Frog" eyes which is genetic. How old is he?
Have you considered taking him to a vet, since his vision is not very good?
His eyes have always looked this way?
If you can review your tank setup with us, such as the type & brand of UVB lighting, supplementation, temperatures & foods given, that would be great.

Tracie

RosesBeardies

Original Poster
Hi I've had him for 6 or 7 years since he was little. His eyesight has always been like this. I feed him meal worms cause he can't catch crickets (i know it isnt that good for them )and he doesn't like dubia roaches all too much I tried feeding him all sorts of sizes but he can't catch the small ones and he's scared or doesn't want the bigger ones. Sometimes I can squish a cricket in his mouth but usually he gets confused and shakes his head like a baby that doesn't want to eat. Sometimes not too much he get Phoenix worms or wax worms he loves those but you have to help him out with that too. Sometimes I feed him butternut squash and you have to put it on tweezers and wait a very long time for him to try to get it. Both his eyes are like this and always been like this. He has one of those curled UVB bulbs I know those aren't that great I have to find one that fits my other fixure. I just got the reptisun one for my other lizard cause I'm building her a new tank. His tank is a 40 gallon but we take him out every couple of days to let him run around. The temperature is 100ish at the basking area sometimes it gets a little cooler or warmer cause I live in California so right now it either super hot or  coolish.
I haven't thought of taking him to the vet cause all the vets near me are either super expensive or aren't that great. :/ it sucks that vets are expensive.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, vets are expensive, that is for sure. That's too bad his vision is compromised so much.
He isn't able to eat phoenix worms at all, or just sometimes? You are handfeeding him? You could try small superworms, too for variety.
Can you post a couple of more pictures to get a better look at his eyes, thanks.
Is he healthy otherwise?
That's good you are going to change out his UVB from the coil to a long tube. He wont be getting very good quality UVB from the coil light, at all.
Are you giving calcium several times per week, too?

Tracie

RosesBeardies

Original Poster
He is healthy otherwise he is hand fed Phoenix worms and wax worms. He gets confused if I put calcium on his worms he's like why is this white? So I've been using the wax worms as a source of calcium. I'll get some more pictures of his eyes when I get home. I give him like 10ish or so wax worms even week or every other week

RosesBeardies

Original Poster
88217-8969904463.jpg
88217-6745912358.jpg
88217-6681025554.jpg
88217-8304904359.jpg
Here's some pictures of his eyes sorry there not so great and when I uploaded them they were upside down:/ I don't know how to fix it I'm sorry

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, that helps. :D I had looked at the other picture wrong I guess, or it looked like a bubble was over the eye. His condition is essentially known as "Froggy Eyes" & is not real common, but does occur. I wouldn't say it is a health issue though but more just a genetic occurrence.
It doesn't seem to really be affecting his health or behavior, correct, other than not having real good vision.
As long as he is able to eat a reasonably good diet, he should be fine.
When are you changing his UVB light out?
He looks perfectly fine to me, a real cutie.

Let us now how he is doing.

Tracie

RosesBeardies

Original Poster
Thank you I thought he was just a really weird lizard before XD. I made him eat a few baby dubia roaches yesterday with tweezers. I'm not sure when I'm going to get him a new UVB light I have to find one to fit my old fixure, hopefully soon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's terrific he had some baby dubias, I hope he liked them! :D
Please do try to get him a new UVB as soon as you can, so he doesn't run the risk of developing metabolic bone disease.
His frog eyes make him unique. Do some searches & you should find more pictures of dragons similar to your boy.

Tracie

RosesBeardies

Original Poster
He did but he kept dropping them out of his mouth cause he opened his mouth too wide :lol:
I'll try to order him a new light this week. :D
Thank you :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome. Maybe he will learn better how to eat his wormies! LOL :D I hope he liked them.
Great, let us know when you get the new light.

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Looks like a genetic mutation. Lots of inbreeding going on. I hope Australia eventually allows some exportation to strengthen bloodlines. Its doubtful they ever will though.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This genetic issue has been around for awhile. It isn't real common I have seen it somewhat frequently in the last few years.

Tracie

RosesBeardies

Original Poster
I ordered him a new light yesterday hopefully it comes soon. And i got him at petsmart so they probably inbreed :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom