Zilla UVB lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the mistake of getting a coiled uvn light and it seems as though my beardie zones out on it and stares at it. This was his second day on it. I have ordered a zilla tube uvb for him that is graded as 50 uvb and 17 watt. I also got a metal fixture I plan to Velcro to the inside of his tank.

My questions are: should I leave the uvb coil I have off till I get the tube light on Sunday? Should I cancel/return the zilla tube I ordered for a different brand? Is 50 uvb too high ? I just dont want to hurt him and I don't want to burn his eyes! Thanks everyone!

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Can you link the tube?

I would say leave the coil until you get the tube unless you can get him in natural sunlight for a good amount of time during the day.

How big is the tank? Can you post a pic?

wigglytuff2

Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":20o4a9vh said:
Can you link the tube?

I would say leave the coil until you get the tube unless you can get him in natural sunlight for a good amount of time during the day.

How big is the tank? Can you post a pic?

Thanks for your reply! here is a post of the light I found with a hood included.

Coralife 08616 Desert T8 Light Fixture, 24-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CT2OTA/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_-fweybEM6VH1P

here are some pics of his set up and how he looks zoned out to the light haha.
I took the sand out after reading so many sad stories and switched to repti-carpet.
I can always just go for a t8 fixture that is metal and Velcro it as well and use a reptisun tube. I just want the best lights for my baby :)
http://imgur.com/a/3yj86
http://imgur.com/a/2X3lv

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The desert 50 is OK. You'll want to find a way to mount it close to the basking area though. It has an optimal output 6-8'' from the bulb without a screen in the way. If you want to put the light at a greater distance I'd go with a T5 tube that will provide great UVB levels at 12'' away.

wigglytuff2

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2pirnga6 said:
The desert 50 is OK. You'll want to find a way to mount it close to the basking area though. It has an optimal output 6-8'' from the bulb without a screen in the way. If you want to put the light at a greater distance I'd go with a T5 tube that will provide great UVB levels at 12'' away.

I went ahead and went with the reptisun 10. I just ordered a t8 metal fixture I'll mount it inside the tank. I think this will be easiest plus it will be here by Monday and will keep him from being under the coil for too long. Thanks!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds good. The T8 ReptiSun 10 has the same range so you'll want it about 6-8'' above the basking area for best results.

wigglytuff2

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2l4d4y80 said:
Sounds good. The T8 ReptiSun 10 has the same range so you'll want it about 6-8'' above the basking area for best results.

I planned on mounting it in the tank right above the baskig area. Do you think that's too close?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's fine. Just mount it (or adjust the basking area) so the highest point is between 6-8'' away from the basking area. The UVB drops off significantly beyond 8'' with a T8 bulb.

wigglytuff2

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3l5e8cr9 said:
That's fine. Just mount it (or adjust the basking area) so the highest point is between 6-8'' away from the basking area. The UVB drops off significantly beyond 8'' with a T8 bulb.

Okay I will do this :) thank you for all of your great information. My lights will be here by Monday I can't wait to rest easier knowing I'm not hurting my new friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom