Shiro's great adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I would like to introduce my new baby beardie, Shiro (it means white in Japanese) becuase he or she is a white hypo beardie.

Really happy to have him/her and I hope questions and answers on this post will help other people that have a baby beardie.

To kick it off she/he is stunning and very cheeky already! Took dubia from my hand without blinking and jumped onto her hammock and is happily watching her new tank.

So far so good and vet check next week and every six months from there on.

My beautiful girl Tengu will be sadly missed but she taught me a lot and she will always be in my heart and memories, RIP Tengu chan we love you so much.

81643-5623108963.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Wow, that is coming close! I'm glad she's eating again and putting the roaches in water and then giving them to her is a great way to get water into her!

Hope all goes well with the move!

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Very close!!!!!

Yes she's not fussy when it comes to food that's for sure!!!! I will be so strickt with bugs once she's older.

Actually at what age do I cut down the bugs and more veg?

1 year?

Yes the idea I had with a water dunk is the best idea I've ever had LOL LMAO

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Well I have only Imp to go by, as the others were already a year old when I got them. So Imp started eating bugs at 4 mo old (remember he was on the mix for a month when I got him?) and was eating just like Shiro until he hit 7 mo old and stopped eating, period, because I ran out of roaches. Remember how difficult it is to find roaches in Canada? So he was back on the mix and I was force feeding superworms which he really doesn't like much. So when I got the roaches, I thought he'd start eating again, but he didn't. So I still give him a bit of mix (when I make it up for Gabriel), otherwise I force feed his roaches. And then hand feed his greens.

Just go by what she wants and how well she's growing. There's no need to reduce bugs at any age unless the dragons aren't active and gaining weight. That's when you reduce bugs. She's already nibbling on salad, so that's good.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hmmmmm interesting.

Yes she literally nibbles LOL and is a savage for dubia!!!! Today was a record, I think she ate around 150 and then graces me with a monster number two all over her rock!!!!! She seems to love doing her business on her hammock and rock!!!! I hope that changes soon!

She loves her routine though. It's so funny!!! I'm tempted to do a YouTube video on it.

Okay so keep feeding as I am until she slows down or gets too big. I asked this because I remember when I asked about adults and few people said they give 10 three times a week etc.

Well January will be her first real reptile only GREAT VET check! His checks are throughly done. It's like a human yearly health check!!! LOL so I know she's in great hands now :) her she'd is coming to an end and I think the amount of dubia she ate showed that!!!!

I'm worried to move her but I hope with her being young, it won't be too difficult to adjust. Also she can roam free a lot of the day because there are sun patches everywhere which is nice :) especially in the summer!!!!!

I was at the reptile shop the other day and sadly it has gone downhill since my favorite left :( I feel sorry for the reptiles now but I can't have them all. I feel Shiro is lucky as her life is awesome!!!! I think she is a very happy girl even though they don't show it LOL I look forward to taking her portrait in the next few weeks. She will look lovely :)

Maybe a calendar shot!

Ahhhhhhh tired now. Crazy amount of packing and moving today.

How's things with, Eric? Really hope that sorts itself out soon

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
She'll be fine but might take a day or two to get acclimated. As long as you are there with her, she'll do better. You'll only know once you've moved her in and set her up again. 150, that is a record! I'm sure she'll do great at the vet.

As for Eric, he's having a real problem with Tara, it's just ongoing. She called him early this am to let him know that the kids had the flu and she needed his help. So he's going to be late for work because of having to go over to her place (this was at 5a). He's worried that if he misses work, he'll be fired, as he's so new, just started this job mid August and has already missed 1 1/2 weeks due to the swollen let and foot. So hopefully it all worked out. I'll find out later.

I was supposed to go in for an appt with am, but was sick all night (stomach again) and didn't get any sleep, so called in at 6a to cancel. Just couldn't face a long transit trip (takes about an hour) and would have had to leave before 7a. My stomach is still jumping & I know this is tied in with my back being out, so make an appt with the chiro later this morning instead. I hate when my stomach gets so upset, it happens often, yet they can't find a reason why it's like that. Oh well, if there's a charge, I'll just pay it.

As for going back to work, it will depend on what's found on the MRI. I would think end November I'll start back, on the return to work program. Means every hour I work, I get full time pay, so helps the paychq. I'll have to see what my doc says on Nov 7 when I go in to get results.

I'll talk to you later, feeling sick again...

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So this is interesting!

Firstly, Tara sounds EVIL and poor Eric :( and I really hope you are feeling better. Did you have tests yet??

Now today was EPIC MOVING DAY. I AM EXHAUSTED but 90% done now. I moved Shiro in today and it was such a hard job. But anyway there is me honking she will hate it and give Stink eye and not talk to me etc but..........:: NOOOOOOOOOO she as happy as a pig in sh"@. She ate loads and now out and about climbing on everything really enjoying herself. It's very very cute to see :) HAHAHAAHA she's awesome!!!!!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I am so very glad she's taken to your new place without any relocation stress. So glad she's enjoying running around and climbing things. This is a great move for you, once it's finished. Congratulations!

I went to see my mom and dad yesterday afternoon, my sister and neice were then, then my brother and my two youngest nieces came in, too, it was a wonderful day (yes, left Eric with the kids, what a mess I came home to LOL). At least I don't have much going on this week, so can clean up gradually. And Eric promised to be home Tuesday after work to help me clean stuff up, doesn't matter if he doesn't show up. I can manage, there's not that much to do.

Bella has been having shivers from hearing fireworks, poor girl. For some reason, they do fireworks at Halloween around here, I always found it kind of stupid, but either way, makes Bella shiver from head to toe. AS a result, I put her under the covers and snuggled up with her and the shivers stopped. And tonight is the big Halloween night, Eric's going to Tara's after school to take the kids to a party. Told him to take 1 pictures of them and send it to me. We'll see how that goes. Safara is SuperGirl and Leo is Batman I think. Amazing that these super heros from my childhood and now having fun with my grandkids! The generations march on.

She also has grass fleas, so I get her some medicine today. I'm learning that there's alot of work with having a dog. My dream is to get a dog like Bella when I retire, 4 years Dec 1! Already! So Dec 1, 2020 is the retirement date! Getting closer and closer!

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi there

Yep moved in now and wow was it hard work! I moved the entire house by myself with no vehicle! The most difficult thing to move was the tank!!!!

So NOOOOO relocation stress at all. She seemed to love it which is funny. She was running around and jumping into and off everything she could find. Crawled all over me and say on my shoulder for ages and then found a dark place and then came back out and jumped on my leg :) now she's basking after her morning feast :) problem is I've run out already. There is no way there was 1000. They know you aren't going to count them. In so angry about it and now it's winter dubia is soooooooooooooooi expensive it's three times the price!!!! She doesn't care at all of course LOL

So today the cat arrives. I look forward to seeing Shiro's reaction that's for sure! I will definitely not mix them for a long time if at all actually.

Fireworks!!! My dog used to HATE THEM she got so bad the vet had to give me pills for her to put her in a very sleepy state during the time they were on.

Not long until retirement!!!!!! Wow 2020 perfect timing to watch the Tokyo Olympics at home :) maybe you will see me! I will be one of the camera guys!

Things to do. Talk soon

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Don't know how you could do the move all by yourself. Did you not have large furniture to move, like the bed and sofa?

I'm SO glad she's taken to her new space so well :D That makes me feel better, after all our wonderings on how she'd react, she surprised both of us! Oh dear, hope that doesn't mean you can't get any. Your colony should have some babies in it by now, you should check. You need to get yourself a good breeding colony, that starts at 100 females to 30 males, then you can add more females. Very much worth your while. My friend Amanda, who runs Dragonheart Sanctuary and has 14 beardies, cats and leopard geckos (all rescued), has 5 bins of roaches so she can sell some off at certain times.

And as for the cats, let her decide when she wants to be introduced and hold her tight.

I've been so out of it for the last 2 days, slept all day. Eric left work early (this is probably not a good thing) to register his 2 kids to a Halloween parade in the town where Tara lives. They got through the weekend without any fighting, which was different. Not sure why I'm suddenly very tired again, got through the last cold ok and got flu shot last Thursday. Oh well, hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow.

Seems the kids can hand off a "bug" and it can take you 10 days to get over it, they're over it same day or 2-3 days at most. Oh well, all part of being in my grandkids' lives, which is a wonderful thing. I really love them both, even though they get into everything! How can you stay mad at these faces?
11887-6875308906.jpg
11887-8270215233.jpg
And Leo loves my giant dragons: with Gabriel
11887-4948499394.jpg
and with Imp:
11887-5554163023.jpg
Now I see why he calls them Giant Dragons :mrgreen:

Imp, finally got his true colour under the lights in the kitchen:
11887-6698314259.jpg

Gabriel decided to have fun on the old cricket keeper in Cierra's tank.
11887-8521625013.jpg
11887-4458109895.jpg

He gets very active sometimes and tries to stand up:
11887-8407074250.jpg
11887-8744568149.jpg

I had to go into the living room one day, had this feeling & there he was, giving me orders :lol:
11887-7548608719.jpg
Mom, time to feed me :roll:

Imp and Gabriel get along fine on the kitchen counter at bath time, anywhere else, not so much :mrgreen:
11887-5170878265.jpg
11887-6822034963.jpg
11887-5844755461.jpg

Sleeping with Bella means she's under the covers, too. Going to be different when I'm back to work...sigh...
11887-1831915351.jpg

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you for all the pictures. Before I mail back properly here's a quick question.

Dubia coming tomorrow are between 1-3cm which is fine for her head size. I was honking surely the amount will change because of the size right?

100 s size would be 50 or so m size. Does it work like that?

Also she is watching the cat like a hawk! LOL when the cat was sleeping I took Shiro out and gave her some love. She liked that :) and I always give her food first :) she's my number 1 :) and yes as I said he's a HE but I can't stop saying she LOL

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Shiro is a he? I didn't know you'd sexed him already. Oh well, call her a she, he won't care. As long as he gets his bugs and is loved alot, he'll be fine LOL

As for the reduction in the amount she'll eat of the bigger size, probably the same amounts because she'll be bigger. You're in for lots of bugs until she's about 9 mo old, then it sort of tapers off. Day by day to figure out what she'll eat. When Imp was 7 mo old and eating bigger bugs, he still managed to get through over 700 bugs a week, crickets, roaches and small superworms. Now I have to feed him but he's put himself to bed and moved the newspaper in his tank to make a door to his hide. So I'm just going to leave him like that to see how long it takes for him to wake up.

I got a call from the doc's office yesterday, results of the MRi are in and they moved my date to day to get the results. Never have heard of anything like that happening, so I"m a bit nervous about it all. I'll post as soon as I get bac.

Eric has found a lady friend and is pretty well living there now (he drops in after work, then picks her up from work and stays, sometimes comes back her in the am. He feels uncomfortable living with me after 3 mo, but he still has to pick up after his kids, which he didn't. And I cleaned up the kitchen, but not the living room, let him clean it all up. They're my grandkids but I"m not the parent! So we'll see what happens tonight. I'm glad to be on my own during the week and not have to deal with anyone except Bella and the reptiles. It'll be nice to have my life back again...seeing a counsellor on Friday to talk about all this, time to get it out of my system.

I'll catch up with you later, need to get ready to leave.
Snuggles to Shiro. The one advantage to having a male is never having to concern yourself with eggs. Plus as he grows and goes through puberty, he'll discover how to make a black beard and will then have that to display when he's not pleased :lol:

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh really? Same amount?? Wow. She's a beast with food. This morning I gave her three honey worms and wow it was scary!!!!

This morning beast cat jumped on her tank! He was trying to get top window which is ridiculous. Shiros face was hilarious!!!! I got the cat down quicker than he jumped and he got a telling to! Doesn't seem to be interested in Shiro at all and Shiro seems okay as well. Just watching and comes to front of tank. All is normal really (apart from a noisy cat)

I'm waiting for dubia to arrive and she is letting me know she's not happy about it. Oh my black beard!!!!!!! LOL well I'm pretty sure she's a he because I lifted her tail up and saw a line going up her leg on both sides. I will try and take a picture to send you and see what you think.

So, Eric has found a lady "friend" LOL that's cool :) he needs that! And a counsellor after all this is a great idea!

Now I have pins and needles in my arms again after the move. My shoulder hurts a little as well. I'm not surprised really with all the lifting. Go to physio as soon as and get some treatment before it gets worse like last time.

Ah well time to do something not sure what as I have no internet yet (this is 4G from phone) and I've done dishes, clothes washing and hanging, feed cat and lizard, ah! Hovering!!!! But it's in the other place :(

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So you moved into a furnished house? Or brought some furniture from home? Here we empty the house completely, except for appliances, when we rent an apartment. I've never owned as I've never had the down payment or the capacity to pay, being on one salary since 1993 :mrgreen: Is buying a house different in Japan? Alot of places leave the appliances for the buyers and will offer furniture as well as part of the sale, so they don't have to move it.

So I've been diagnosed, I have osteoarthritis down spine that aligns with the butt. The spine is smooth on the top, but on the bottom there are these things with four corners and the osteo is in the corners of those things, that's why it's been hurting so much. So have to get started at the gym next week, very slowly, 2 days a week to start, then do a couple of shifts the next week at work, not sure yet. I feel very week from all the pain I've been through in the last 2 months.

Yes, I'm very pleased about Eric having a girlfriend (they decided to give that a try). He drops in after work, gets a bite to eat (my mom was VERY strict about having food available for Eric after work) and then takes off, leaving me and Bella in peace. Gearing up for Friday night when the kids invade :lol:

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
In Japan the apartment is completely stripped as in wallpaper changed, any damage repaired and basically some to be brand new. NEVER any appliances left or well anything. It's purely empty.

When you move out your deposit is then used to do the same over again! LOL

We bought brand new house so it has nothing at all. Bought all lights, curtains, sofa, table etc. oh it has a brand new fitted kitchen, bathroom. Very modern as well.the bathroom is like a space ship control centre. Heated toilet seats, and in the bathroom is a rail where you hang clothes and turn on a dryer which comes from the roof and dries clothes if it's raining.

Oh roach just arrived and they seem HUGE compared to baby ones. 1-3 cm. the babies were 3-5mm so huge difference but she's much bigger so. She ate 10 and had to chew them. I'm choosing the smaller ones but one of them is same as 10 or more baby ones. Give her more later. She's basking now :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Yikes, didn't realize there was such a difference. Imp was bigger when I brought him home, so he never really ate the really little ones. They grow fast, too. You should have babies in your colony, right?

So it's the same as here, sort of, except for the appliances. But definitely not when renting. You take what you get. Carpets in my apartment are very old, 20 years at least if not longer. Cabinets are over 40 years old and will never be changed unless they fall down LOL. I got all new appliances a few years ago in the kitchen, the stove and dishwasher were original to 1986!

You'll have to keep me updated on the roach count tomorrow. Yes, when they eat bigger bugs, they don't eat as many, but not when they're juvies, 5-9 months, Imp was ravenous during those months, well for him until he was 7 mo old, then I ran out of roaches and he stopped eating. He makes me feed him, he's too lazy to pick out the roaches in his dish. He's not digesting very well, can't seem to digest the heads for some reason. Oh well, that's just Imp. I think he has a stomach issue or might have parasites, next pay have to get his poop to the vet to be checked, but right now he's sleeping. He actually put a piece of newspaper from the hide across the opening, so you can't see in :roll: :lol:

I have to get off the computer, have been on for more than an hour, so need to get supper. I'll talk to you later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom