Beardie Already Had Parasites/Worms - Refuses to take Meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

igneel1002

Our beardie is just 2 months old. We bought him from a pet store. We noticed he was getting really lethargic and wouldn't eat - his feces also had a horrible odor to them so we decided to take him to the vet. I explained our situation and they told us to take him in right away.

When we got there, we were informed that we took him in the nick of time, he would have passed if we had waited a little longer. We had no idea he was this bad. The vet took him back and injected him with some fluid to assist him as he was severely dehydrated.

We were suggested to begin deworming him even though the results of the stool sample were not yet back - he was more than positive it was. He was later diagnosed with extremely high levels of coccidia and another worm.

We have had him on the antibiotic for the coccidia for 3 days - he was doing great we had to force feed him the first few days but he started returning to his regular diet rather quickly. We began feeding him his favorite hornworms and he was eating without any fuss or issue. Yesterday night he stopped eating, not even his hornworms which hes never not eaten. I cannot give him his medicine because he wont eat nor will he let us force feed - he completely locks his jaw and we are to terrified to pry it open without hurting him.

This morning I left him after trying to feed him - he refuses to be handled (he claws onto everything for dear life) and he was just laying on his branch with all of his limbs dangling off (which he's never done)

We aren't sure what to do (our vet is away for the day)

Any assistance would be so appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy =(. Which medication is he on and what are the dosages? Sometimes they really don't like meds. I know my guy doesn't. It's tough to force feed them when they're so small. I'd be reluctant to use the method of using your thumb to slide his beard down, forcing his jaw open with friction. Perhaps you can mix it with something sweet like a little honey or sweet potato baby food to make it more enticing. I'm not sure if that will affect the medication though.

igneel1002

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply. I know the antibiotic for the Coccidia is 0.03 cc - vet said any more could cause overdose and be fatal. Right now because he is literally bone, vet has us mixing wet cat food with water to give him high calories to try and beef him up to give him enough energy to fight.

First few days was great and he was biting down on the syringe - we tried feeding him hornworms and crickets and he did well so we switched. Now he doesn't want it and he wont let us force feed him either. He just locks his jaw.

I'll send pictures once I am home with him - currently at work. and Ill share the dosages for the other meds as well.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Instead of the cat food I'd try something sweeter like the baby food sweet potato or maybe some baby food squash. It's bound to taste better. Just drop a little on his nose and see if he'll lick it up.

igneel1002

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback - we will give it a shot. He actually ate a hornworm this morning (we are so happy haha)

So he's currently taking Pancur suspension for the worm (every 7 days 4 times - he has already had one) and he is taking Baycox for the Coccidia (which he was supposed to get 5 doses but only let us give him 3)

He is currently shedding his hands and legs (the hands are pretty much done - the feet still have a ways to go) But we think that he is also acting the way he is because we adopted a cat. The cat is harmless and wont go near him, he just watches from afar. But we noticed yesterday that Igneel (our beardie) stares at the cat at all times no matter what he is doing. We are thinking of moving him into our bedroom and keeping the door closed and keeping them separated until he is better and maybe a little older.

Your thoughts? Has anyone else here introduced their other pets to their beardies?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds good. The hornworm should be nice and filling/hydrating too. If he keeps going for those, perhaps you could put his medication dosage on the hornworm and sneak it in that way.

I think it's best to keep him away from the cat. It's probably causing him some stress because they are predators. They may get along but a cat can change in an instant and attack with some pretty bad results. It's not worth the risk in my opinion and I'd keep them apart.

igneel1002

Original Poster
Thanks - we tried that but he seems to be just as smart as we are apparently.

We thought the two of them would be ok (i've seen numerous people introduce the two species together without issue) But I guess because Igneel is already weak and sick its not a good idea.

Thanks for all your help! Hopefully he gets better soon :( We're so worried about him.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Panacur can cause an upset stomach and has been reported to cause anorexia while on it.
Load up the syringe (without needle) and open his mouth to give it to him. Or you can always inject it into a bug...the bugs don't like it. There is also a risk the bug won't be eaten. Then you'll have to force feed the bug to your dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom