Dragon not moving much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevog08

Hi folks,
I have a serious issue with my dragon, and have exhausted everything I know to do, the help of my vet, and folks I've talked to.

Here are the details - almost 3 months ago, I adopted a female, 1 year old dragon. She had been originally sold from a local, family owned pet store (with great service and reputation). However, the family had her for about 2 months, then returned her to the store as they realized they couldn't care for her.

She was a little skinny when I met her, but she seemed ok and I took her home. Her environment is absolutely ideal - full length 10.0 light, 100 degree basking temp with gradients all around, plenty of space, hiding and climbing options, etc. She takes a bath every several days and is misted daily.

The issue is - she barely moves at all! After I brought her home, I attributed this behavior to just new house anxiety. But, it hasn't gotten any better at all? She can move and does occasionally take a few steps, but is super lethargic! I (and the vet) don't think it's brumation because her nutrition is so good! She has a steady diet of dubias and silk worms and super worm snacks. But, even if very hungry, she won't eat unless they come to her?! She will NOT eat veggies unless I wiggle them in with worms, so she doesn't get enough. She's on vet prescribed vitamins (I also dust everything she eats with either calcium or vitamin stuff). She doesn't seem to like being taken out of her cage, seems very unsocial, and just generally super-sluggish? But again, she eats great?

Although putting on weight and after an expensive vet visit who found nothing but possible calcium deficiency...I'm at a complete loss. I feel really bad - she seems very unhappy.

Help???

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Have you tried letting her run around in a closed room to explore for a while? At her age she may be getting to much protein and needs to transition over to more veggies. I know it will be hard to do but you may have to resort to only giving bugs once every other day and make veggies available all day everyday. She should be eating 80% veggies and 20% bugs at this point.

Diet and exercise are important. It could be that simple.

Kevog08

Original Poster
Yup - I've tried inside and outside spaces for her to run around = nothing.
And I've gone every other day and even every 3rd day with bugs/worms and she still doesn't eat greens without a great deal of trickery! And, she still has them available in her cage every day...collard greens, kale, peppers, carrots, squash, etc.

Kevog08

Original Poster
She has actually been even worse since returning from the vet 2 weeks ago? I tried all afternoon yesterday to try to entice her to walk around/move...but nothing? I hate the thought of her being in pain. Something seems very wrong?

Kevog08

Original Poster
Well, Dani isn't getting any better and even seems a little worse. I'm truly desperate for any help or advice. Her behavior just reminds me of a very sick animal - she "barely" moves at all in the course of the day, is not interested in any social interaction or exercise, is just extremely lethargic? The 1 and only thing she will do - is eat roaches ok! But, no matter how hungry - she won't even take a few steps to go after them? She also will NOT eat veggies at all - I've gone up to 3+ days without giving her anything else (and have tried MANY different veggie-fruit-food options)! She's super droopy going on 4 months???

Help...

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Is it possible she is trying to brumate? It's that time of year when they start to get lethargic and sleepy.

Kevog08

Original Poster
That was one of my first thoughts (other than new-home anxiety), but it's been going on since August AND she's eating ok?
It's my understanding and experience, that dragons don't eat much during brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom