My new baby from petco

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaylaw66

Original Poster
Marty is staying in the 40 breeder tank, I'll do the 22". On the website i was looing into them on it says you want them the legnth of the cage so i didnt know. I was looking at these holders and bulbs.

http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=537

http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=448

The 55 gallon was actually given to me by someone that kept a bearded dragon it came with hides, logs,a water bowl, rocks, and driftwood so I was going to bake the wood and disinfect the other stuff. Also throw out the sand. Would it be better if I changed my ball python to the 55 gallon and used her 40 gallon? I just don't want to over stress any of my reptiles. Also the baby bearded dragon has been doing remarkably better I came home from work today and her eyes are open, hope (what I decided to name it) successfully ran after and ate 5 bugs when I dropped them in their without any problems. Hope already looks like he/she is looking bigger in the belly area I am so excited and happy with her progress. Also the dark stress marks are faded.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
I'm a bit confused, what tank is every body currently in?

55 gal are only 13 inches deep, so seeing how dragons are typically 20" long, it makes it difficult for them to comfortably turn around.

For the lights, I always recommend Arcadia over ReptiSun. If ordering online, I would go with one of these bulbs:

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/24-ho-t5-double-bulb-fixture-with-arcadia-12-and-6-5k-day-light-bulbs-included/

I personally would purchase option 2. I know it seems expensive, but it's actually a great deal. It's the hood, 12% bulb, plus an extra fluorescent (non-UVB emitting) light. I have the 22" ReptiSun on my 40 gal and I strongly dislike it. The light is so dark. I'm upgrading mine to the double-bulb Arcadia fixture. That way he gets the UVB he needs plus the UVA is nice and bright to help activate his "third eye." With the ReptiSun, he always acted sluggish. It just wasn't bright enough. Arcadia's have better energy usage and brighter lights, so they're better for the environment, your pocket-book, and your dragon.

kaylaw66

Original Poster
Currently my 2 year old beardie marty is in a 40 gallon breeder, my ball python, cleo is also in a 40 gallon breeder with a uth and thermostat, I have 2 empty 55 gallon tanks that use to be used for reptiles one from a family member one I bought off a friend for $20 that had a bearded dragon in it for 12 years. I figured just the hides and decor alone made it worth it. The 2 baby beardies are in separate 10 gallon tanks all of them have uvb but the ball python. How energy efficient is option 2? Dont they require UK plugs? Its a bit expensive but if it will keep my beardies happy and healthy itll be worth it.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Maybe put your older dragon in one 55 and the snake in the other and see which one fits it better. I would think the snake may appreciate the taller tank for more additional climbing opportunities.

Though the lights are UK based, the fixtures they are sold with are ones Todd, the owner of lightyourreptiles, found that are made in the US and have standard plugs. I would send him an e-mail in regards to which light to choose. Arcadia are the best, but in a 40 gal with the 12% I would think they might get a bit too close to the bulb. Their decoration would have to be shorter. Keeping the lights above the mesh will help filter some UVB out so it isn't too strong. Send Todd an e-mail (contact us link on bottom of page), he's very knowledgeable and helpful plus he responds VERY quickly!

kaylaw66

Original Poster
Okay thanks! Marty may get pissed if I lower his hammac lmao! He loves that thing even though he's so energetic, he'll knock it down and puff a black beard at me like "mom fix it now" then he's happy after its back up (like a toddler lol) and runs around like a maniac (it's also clearly his breeding season). The baby bearded dragon is chasing bug's and it's eyes are open when I look at her (I'm call in it a her till she's old enough to sex) she's still on repta boost high amp boost and has so much energy. I stopped the squash since she eats a lot of bugs when I offer (like 5 or 6 dubias). My bfs baby beardie (both was in the same cage at petco, this one was the one dominating the others) has stopped chasing bugs so I started it on reptaboost and squash so it's health doesn't go downhill. I'm thinking it may be a nutrient thing bc how repta boosts been helping so much, although this one's still bright eyed and aware. Also I went to a different petco because I was already in the area and wanted to try a different brand of basking light (the one I have fluctuates a lot) and I causally peaked at the reptiles and boy their is a huge difference at this one, all their reptiles looked bright, in bigger terrains, most the reptiles including the beardies were bigger and looked healthy. They also had baby taurantulas, which I've never seen at petco. Whatever fenton petco is doing is much better than Washington petco and they need to take notes.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
I'd be a little weary about the Repta Boost. It's good in an emergency, but when you look at the ingredients, it's just starch, corn, and soy. If looking for a good slurry, I would get any one of these:

Repashy Bluey Buffet: http://www.store.repashy.com/bluey-buffet-3-oz-jar-clone.html (I prefer this one as it uses Black Soldier Fly Larva and has less starchy fillers)
Repashy Grub Pie: http://www.store.repashy.com/grub-pie-reptile-3-oz-jar.html
Carnivore Care: http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=118

These are all much higher quality and better for long-term or even temporary use. I store mine in the fridge and use them to feed my dragon his daily supplements.

kaylaw66

Original Poster
Okay thank you! I'll have to order the slushes. I just got what I could find in store with good reviews. I've used jumpstart in the past and feel that it did more harm than good with a rescue I had so I won't use it. I'm also thinking about trying reptaid

https://www.amazon.com/Reptaid-Supplement-parasitic-bacterial-infections/dp/B006X3YHO8

Just incase their is something going on internally since the vet didn't check for parasites or pinworms as he didn't think it looked like it when I asked about doing a fecal. Plus since it's organic materials and made for little guys it won't be near as harsh as medicing like pancur. I know petco feeds meal worms and crickets and I don't really trust their feeder choices and since both the babies seem to be on and off food now I'm getting a bit worried.

kaylaw66

Original Poster
Update: I took both babies back to the vet. He is now ruling parasites, the reptaboost helped to first baby. He recommended the reptaid over the medicines he would use for them since they are so tiny and gave me tiny dosage's of something for the second baby's pain bc he looks a lot worse. I have some reptaid arriving tomorrow so I hope for the best. He also said everything I'm doing set up and food wise I'm doing right.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
When you say they are babies, how big are they?
Baby bearded dragons do better in smaller enclosures. It makes it easier for them to find their bugs.

kaylaw66

Original Poster
The baby that got bad overnight died today rip arcanine. But the one I started the forum on seems to be doing better. Eating, active, ect. Her eyes are closed though. The vet felt safer with me using reptaid for them so I'm starting the little one on reptaid just in case she has parasites.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
I am so very sorry for your loss. Petco typically gets shipped babies that are 3-4 weeks old, so any that are infected with an active form of ADV die within their next month of life. I imagine that might be what took your little one, and if that's the case, there is nothing you could have done anyway. I hope your other one does well! And as for parasites, testing him for them won't hurt him any, just bring in a fecal sample. It's best to know whether they have them or not instead of guessing and hoping. I find it odd your vet wouldn't want to test for them. I test my dragon every few months as some dragons need deworming once a year or every other year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom