One Beardie Baby Growing Faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghoul

My fiance and I are the excited parents of two baby beardies, but we are worried about the one we believe to be male - he is much smaller than the believe-to-be-female, almost half her weight. He is very similar in length, but she is much heavier. They are about 3 months old, both from the same litter (is litter the right word?). They both eat a similar amount (small crickets every day), and we use droppers to give them water every three days. The temperature in the tank is fine and we have UVB and UVA bulbs, but we're worried about the little guy. Does anyone have experience with this?

MostBeast

They would be from the same "clutch". I am assuming they are not being housed together, as they can fight and hurt each other. If they are together, separate ASAP. As babies, people generally recommend feeding them all they want for 15 minutes three times a day. As long as they are eating and look healthy, I don't see a problem. Me and my friend both got dragons (although different litters) at the same time. They were the exact same size. Her dragon EXPLODED while mine stayed much smaller than hers, although was still growing. If the smaller one looks healthy and isn't refusing food, I wouldn't worry. Maybe others can chime in.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. It sound like they are housed together. If so you need to separate. They are territorial and fight. There usually is bullying that goes on. One will thrive the other one will stay small. How big is the enclosure they are in?

Ghoul

Original Poster
Thank you! The breeder told us they could stay together for a while - they are in a 20 gallon long. At the current time they have been getting along great - there is almost always one of us in the same room so we're checking a lot.

MostBeast

They are not getting along well. One is clearly dominant. I and most everyone here would recommend you separate them.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Question? Is the larger one laying on top of the smaller one at times?

I know most people think this is cute but, it is quite the opposite, it is one showing dominance over the other. It is just the beginning of the struggle of the dominated ones life if kept in the same enclosure.

What type of uvb (coil or long tube) are you using?

Ghoul

Original Poster
Thank you all for your replies! This weekend we're getting full 40-gallon set-ups for them both. Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom