First setup - UVB question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The T5 is fine where it is. Just put it on top and set the basking area about 10-12'' below it. I set my basking light to heat (dimming) mode and the CHE is on heat (pulse). I set the daytime temp range and then in night cycle mode on the CHE and set it to keep the temps 70-73 overnight. I have basking assist turned on for the basking light. I have ramping set to 45 min to create a "sunrise" and "sunset". I just kind of followed through the manual and tweaked the settings as I wanted them. It took a bit of trial and error but is working pretty well. Sometimes the basking light flashes off during the ramping mode which isn't ideal but it's not a big problem.

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks CooperDragon,

I think I got the lights mostly set up and working. I believe I may need a stronger CHE as my day cool side temps are hovering around 77.

One thing I noticed about the basking light is that it keeps turning off. I do have the herpstat on dimming setting, but what's happening is the light goes off for maybe 2-3 seconds, then comes back on - often a little dimmer. Then they brighten up, and the whole thing happens again a few minutes later. Is that going to be a problem? Anything I can do to stop it happening?

Also, my humidity is around 39 - 56. Any suggestions how to lower it? I do not have any water source at all in the cage, so I'm worried my home just has high humidity at the moment...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
75-80 is appropriate for the cool side of the tank so 77 is just right. If the lamp keeps blinking it's trying to cool off quickly to keep within the range you programmed. You may want to raise it higher to decrease output a bit. The herpstat does behave that way with turning the light on and off so a lower wattage bulb or higher position might work best to ensure it doesn't top 100% output and turn off during the day. Humidity in that range is fine and shouldn't cause a problem

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks. I'm thinking I'll use a lower wattage bulb and see how that helps.

At what level of humidity should I worry?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If the humidity in the tank gets significantly higher than the humidity in the rest of the room that would be concerning. Their natural range goes up to 65% in some places depending on the season so I'd use that as a general guide. If there is adequate lighting and good airflow I don't think it's much of a concern. Do be sure your hygrometer is calibrated and accurate if you're going to measure humidity so you don't get any false readings.

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How do I calibrate my hygrometer?

After adding in a background and covering the sides, the humidity was at 34% during the day. At night it was 47%. I'm reassured that I don't need to worry about that, but want to be prepared in case it does get higher. I'm in Kansas, and we can get high humidity some of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom