Dragon not eating much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again! So sorry for all of the posts!
So I am pretty new to this whole beardie thing, I have only had her for about 4 days.
Within this time she has eaten 25 worms, some green beans, like.. 2 raspberries, MAYBE some kale.
BUT my point is she has not finished one whole bowl of salad?
I had figured out maybe she hates Kale, so I made her a mix of Green Cabbage and Collard Greens, I put it in this morning and it does not look like she has touched it at all.
She eats things when I hand feed her, but not so much independently.
I am not sure if the previous owner only hand fed her?

Is this okay that she is not eating all of her salad every day?
When I get home I am going to boil some yellow squash for her to see if she will eat this.
Are my expectations of how much she should be eating way too high?

She is 2 years old, if she has been hand fed, will she retrain herself to eat independently or is there something I should be doing differently?

** SORRY I just found other threads with this same question, so she is probably okay if she is active? She is very responsive and full of personality! Just.. I feel like she has to be starving and the hand feeding does slightly worry me.

Thank you so much! I am sorry for the repetitive thread.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She is still settling in so I'd be patient. It sounds like she's eaten quite a bit for a 2 year old. They don't eat nearly as much as a young dragon overall. Keep trying with the salads and veges. If she prefers hand feeding, keep doing that. Maybe create some movement in her salad bowl to get her attention. It may take time if she isn't used to salads. If she's a good weight and is active it shouldn't be a problem. You don't need to boil the squash, just cut a slice and chop it into worm shapes, I've had good luck doing that. Same with zucchini. My guy also likes chopped up green beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom