Side-to-side head shaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GtG

Ack! Okay, super worried and need lots of help.

First off, I purchased my bearded dragon from Petsmart and he was totally fine the first few days. Knew he was stressed out because of the relocation, knew he would need a few days to settle so I didn't really hold him.

It's been about a week and 4 days and he's now very lazy and loves to bask. Had an issue with a thermometer and hygrometer where the gauge was broken and had to replace it. Got digital ones instead and they told me my tank was too cool. Got different bulbs so long story short, this is the set up that I have:

- A "sand-mat" (not loose substrate, definitely did my research on that) -https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/img/shop/original/sandmat1.jpg

- A 20 gallon tank (he's only 6.5" from nose to tail so I'm going to upgrade later on, figured out too late that he's REALLY little)

- I have the temperature in the tank on one side up to 102F, with probably 7" in between the bulb and his basking spot

- I have the ReptiSun UVB 5.0 because the 10.0 was too big, it's shining in the middle of the cage.

- I have a water dish I leave in there mainly to keep humidity up. I've so far given him 2 'baths' and I regularly spray his cage (like twice a day)

The humidity can get pretty dry, 10% sometimes. I try and spray whenever it's this low to raise it but I figured they're desert animals so he must be fine.

This is my issue: he's not eating. I called Petsmart to ask why (after doing my own research) and they said they only feed 5 crickets to their bearded dragons. I read they're supposed to eat like 50 a day!

Mine is only eating 3 crickets. And sometimes he refuses to eat at all. I managed to get him to eat some greens (collard greens, raspberries, and spaghetti squash) and, before reading they were bad for them, he used to eat 3 mealworms. Everything is with calcium supplement.

When I held him a few days ago, he began to vigorously (and I mean CRAZILY) shake his head. Like, so fast it was almost a blur. I could feel his chest vibrating too, and he's only done this when I pick him up. I held him maybe 10 minutes ago and he did the same thing. Doesn't do it in between.

:cry: can someone help me, I asked Petsmart if they would do a free vet check on him but I'm feeling like they would just swap out my bearded dragon :banghead:

Thank you!

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I don't know the cause of the shaking, maybe fear or pain? I can tell you that he won't do well with a 5.0, they need the 10.0. The 5.0 won't put out enough uvb for him. That is probably not the problem yet unless he got nothing at petsmart which wouldn't be surprising. His temperature should around 110 at the basking spot. The humidity would be ideally around 30%. I did find a 15" uvb here http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/11442-580035/zoo-med-zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-10-0-uvb-high-output-bulbs.html You would need a fixture for it and make sure there is no lens covering it. You can try mixing some baby food squash or green beans, chicken and calcium or vitamin and dab it on his nose for now till you can fix those issues. I don't know if they will cover a vet visit or not but it's your choice to return him. Make sure he is actually drinking water by dripping it on his snout. Hopefully he will come around. Good luck.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you using a long tube bulb or a compact/coil UVB light? I recommend staying away from the compact/coil lights because they don't emit very good quality of UVB.
If he is 6.5 inches, he could have some early calcium deficiency signs. Be sure he is getting adequate calcium 5 days per week, once daily on greens or dusted insects.
Do you have any pictures of his tank setup we could see?
It could be that he is nervous, but not as likely as a nutritional issue. If you are using a digital probe then his temperatures should be just fine.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Bearded dragons can shake their head violently when they try to vomit.
As for how many crickets he should be eating it is based on the size of cricket. If he is eating pinheads he would need several hundred. Of course if they are bigger he would need less :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates for us on how your dragon is doing?
Let us know if he is improving or if you got him to the vets.

Tracie

GtG

Original Poster
Very sad to say that Spyro passed away a week ago.

Thank you all for your help, I may get another bearded dragon but for right now I think I 'll take some time to try and figure out what I had done.

As for the bulb, I was using the kind that fit into a desk lamp, so it wasn't the long tube kind. I can't find (for a 20g tank) nor afford one so I'm staying away for a bit.

Again, thank you so much for the quick responses and I'm very sorry for my late one.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that little Spyro didn't make it. :( All my sympathy to you. You'll know when you're ready to get another one, if you can get the tube Reptisun 10.0 t5 for uvb you'll be all set. Please check back in if + when you get another, but again, I'm really sorry to hear this sad news. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry you lost little Spyro, that is too bad. :cry: It is so awful to lose one, it isn't your fault.
My sincere condolences.

Tracie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
GtG":1st26fzy said:
Very sad to say that Spyro passed away a week ago.

Thank you all for your help, I may get another bearded dragon but for right now I think I 'll take some time to try and figure out what I had done
This is exactly what you don't need to do, don't blame yourself its not your fault. Please consider getting one in the near future, it will help you in the long run.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Even when you do everything correctly animals can die. Its survival of the fittest, and some are not genetically fit as others. Hard telling what caused the death...blaming yourself is always a bad idea when there are too many unknown variables.
My advice is to get another dragon when you feel the time is right. Grieve until the grieving is over, then maybe the time will be right to get another one.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
After I had to euthanise my rescue early this year I found it helped me grieve to rescue another girl. I couldn't take looking at the empty tank and it still makes me sad to think of her.

I would suggest you give a run down on your husbandry, post some pics and everyone on here will help you figure it out. Then check out the for free section here to see if you can help another little guy out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom