HELP BEARDY LOOK SICK, please help fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP! My beardy is all of a sudden looking sick , her beard is very black, and skin very light or tan, (pale) still alert and giving her a bath rn, please help!!! I am very scared for her! It kills me to see her like this, please help me......

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Can you give us some information to help you with the problem?
Your setup
Lights
Temps
Things of this nature help in determining the problem. Until then stay calm.

Jchuckg425

Original Poster
Ok sorry, just a little frazzled , I'm not sure how old she is, but she is about, well a little longer than my hand, her heat lamp is a TerraBlue basking lamp, 75 watt, jut have her a bath and crickets on way, she has a water dish I always keep clean and filled, bath every week, (and , to be honest I kinda forgot the bath this week, I was on a trip) so she didn't get her bath til today, oops, I am still an amateur at this whole beardy thing, I have had her for , well, almost a year, got her from a professional (retired) beardy care taker/rescuer, not from the local pet store, she was not a newborn, her name is Sandy and me and her had developed a bond,

Jchuckg425

Original Poster
And lately, she looks kinda fat, like maybe not digesting much, not sure, I thought maybe egg bound but to young, looking better now, beard not as black but still kinda fat, she is soaking in the basking spot now.

Jchuckg425

Original Poster
Haven't been pooping as much. And looks like there is puke in her tank, looked like poo to me at first but I am looking now and I realize it's puke, she seems alert but not as energetic , what should I do? And her beard is getting very black again,

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you have an experienced reptile vet in the area it's probably worth bringing her for a visit. The dark beard (for an extended time) and light color usually indicates distress. It may be a lighting or heat problem at the core but that's just a guess. What are the temperatures in your tank? What do you use for a UVB light source?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yes,uvb is essential to their survival. As Cooper mentioned, you didn't say what kind of uvb you are using.
Temperature in her basking spot could be to cool also, if she can't digest what she eats it could cause her to do that.

Jchuckg425

Original Poster
Honestly I don't know what tempeture, I think Maybe her temp is to low, she seems fatter and maybe that's it, sinse it's that time of year she might need a hotter lamp beaches it's getting colder, thanks for your help, the closest reptile vet is about an hr away, never been, I guess I should take her anyways for a check up, thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's important to have accurate temperature readings because their health depends on a temperature range that allows basking/digesting and also cooler temps as they need it. A temp gun like this works really well https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK You want the basking area to be between about 100-110 and the cool side of the tank should be around 75-80 or so which will provide a nice gradient for her. She will move around and get what she needs at any given time.

The same goes for UVB. You want a good UVB light over the basking area so it combines with the warm temps to imitate sunlight and the cool side should imitate shade with lower temps and lower UVB so she can decide what she needs. If the weather is nice where you are you could try taking her outside for natural sunlight. That often perks them up quite a bit and is beneficial. It's not a long term solution though.

Jchuckg425

Original Poster
I would take her outside but there's kinda a big Forrest fire raging near here, and the air is polluted with smoke, it's all smoky and it's kinda hard to breath, soooooo, but I will get a tempeture thing, and a hotter lamp , I guess a 100 watt one???? Instead of 75 watt, are there any big things I need to worry about until then? Like health issues? That are at risk?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Smokey air is no good for either of you, so I guess that idea is out. You may need a brighter basking light, but I would double check the temperatures first and see where you stand. The temps will vary with the type of bulb, wattage, and height you have it mounted above the basking area so it takes a bit of trial and error. I've had success using PAR38 halogen flood lights from GE.

Picking up a high quality UVB light is at least as critical as proper basking temps. What are the dimensions of your tank? How far is the basking area from the top of the tank? That distance will help determine the best UVB light for your setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom