Help with heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

E3smoke

Hi I am new here if this is the wrong place for this sorry. I seem to have a heat problem. Well I think I got it figerd out tho just want to make sure I have it at good temps. This is before I turndown on heat in the house so I will have to test it after that as well but right now I have a spot right at 8 inches away from light it gets a max of 103 and low spot of 92. I had a issue of the inside of my hide not heating up but I fixed that buy using a pre-made hide rather than one I made. The temp got a max of 91 inside but on top it got to 109 in the hottest spot and 98 was the lowest spot. I achieve this by adding another heat lamp on top of the Hide itself. The cool side is 75 right now but I am sure it will rise once I have the heat on in the house. I will test and post results after the heat in the house been on a few days. I would posto a image of Viv but not sure how on mobile lol it is a 40 gallon glass breeder I used foam instalation and grout as a background

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
8 inches is a bit close for a basking bulb in my opinion. I prefer using higher wattage bulbs at greater distance to provide a nice wide basking area from a bulb that is well out of reach (12+ inches). You can adjust the temps using an adjustable lamp stand, dimmer, or combination of both. The range you have now is right though - 100-105 basking site, 75-80 cool side. Those are just general guidelines though and if you have a good gradient across the tank it will be fine.

E3smoke

Original Poster
Ok that's good so a few degrees over 105 won't hurt anything? And I herd from different people that 8 inches from the buld is the best hmm I guess it is different for everyone lol. But thank you for the help trying to make sure everything good for the dragon before I get him. Also at night humidity getc up to a bought 55% I know they need 30% to 40% will 55% hurt I am geting a dehumidifier Friday I hope it works it's a cheap small one but not sure if it will work intime

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
The 8 " could be in reference to UVB as that is an optimal range for a T5 or T8 bulb. Are you using a separate UV and Heat or one of those Mercury Vapor bulbs that are an all in one?

E3smoke

Original Poster
I am using a 24 inch zoo med t8 10.0 uvb bulb it is mounted on the back wall of the viv I have photos do you know how to add them using a mobile phone browser

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh OK. 6-8'' is the best distance for a T8 using a reflector, yes. A few degrees over 105 is no problem as long as there are cooler areas available. They are very good at moving about to self regulate during the day so it's a matter of giving them options.

You can upload from mobile by pressing the menu button in the top left. Go to user upload manager. press the new upload tab on the left and choose the image you want to upload. If it locks up, just refresh the page and try again. Then press XIMG when you are posting to add an image to your thread.

E3smoke

Original Poster
Thank you here is what it looks like as of now keep in mind I'll make the temp gauges look better as well as the tub will be out
88962-2563057365.jpg

Now I also have humidity issues in day time hot spot goes to a bought 20 to 30% cool side gets down to close to 40 45% at night both sides get to around 50 to 60% I will get a dehumidifier to help it at night hopefully it works but in the day with lights on if I was to mist on the hot side to raise it a bit wouldn't the cool size rise back up I am hoping with the dehumidifier it will keep it low like hight side that way I can put a bowl in to help raise it both sides. Any tips on that or will it be OK like that or what.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't think those humidity levels will cause a problem. How is the humidity in the surrounding room? If it's significantly lower, then there may be a ventilation problem or source of humidity inside the tank that is having an effect.

E3smoke

Original Poster
Not sure at the moment I'll have to check when I get home. So what you feed your Dragon. I was going to get a juvenile so I was going to go with roaches in the morning and but some greens like coolers mustard mixed with caret and green beans as well as blavk berrys all uncooked I here you should switch the combo up every so often any suggestions? Also I was going to do Roaches at night as well until late adult then do the same but without bugs in morning and only at night. Does that sound likeffects a good plan or do you recommend so.thing different

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With a younger dragon I'd offer a morning and early evening meal of bugs. Roaches are a great staple. I like to alternate in silk worms and black soldier fly larvae as well to help vary the diet. Offer a salad daily even if it's ignored. Once they are adults they should get used to a mostly vegetarian diet. I offer my adult collard greens, bok choy, turnip greens, dandelion greens, chopped green beans, chopped bell pepper, and different kinds of squashes on a rotating basis with 2-3 items per salad and I just pick up what looks fresh at the store each week. The leftover salad and scraps go to the roach colony and they happily take care of it. This is a good list with options for what to offer http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

E3smoke

Original Poster
Ok so 2 or 3 days with one 3 combo and 2 to 3 days with a different 3 combo. Now roach colony needs water crystals veggie and chicken feed with calcium mixed in it right with 85degree cleaned once a week. Calcium for the dragon should be done once a day right any other vitamins and minerals you recommend

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't put water crystals in with my roaches. They get hydration from fresh veges and occasional orange slices. I also only clean their enclosure once every 6 months or so as needed. I let the frass build up a bit because they seem to like digging into it. Once it gets stinky or too deep I'll clean it out a bit, put fresh cardboard tubes in etc but still leave some frass for them to dig in.

For dusting bugs I would follow the instructions on the packaging because it varies. I use Repashy and dust bugs every time I offer them. It's easy to use an all in one like Repashy Calcium Plus.

E3smoke

Original Poster
Ok I'll check it out. one other thing on breeding Roaches is it worth it if I only have one dragon or will It be best to just get some as I need them

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That depends. After a while the colony will get very large and a single dragon won't really keep up. I have one dragon and he's an adult so he only eats bugs every 3-4 days. I keep the colony cooler to keep them in check a bit. Ordering them as you need them is more efficient but more expensive as a colony will produce them for free once established. I guess it really comes down to budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom