Eye rotting? EMERGENCY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanjoh

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3gyynqgv said:
I agree the simple setup is good for now. As mentioned your ReptiSun should be replaced after about 6 months as the output declines. It will work best about 6'' above the basking area.

Do you have a more accurate thermometer for his tank? The dials aren't very accurate and don't get surface temps which is important when setting up lighting. An IR temp gun like this is a good bet https://www.amazon.ca/Etekcity-Infrared-Thermometer-Non-contact-Temperature/dp/B00837ZGRY/ A good temperature gradient is important as are accurate readings. You want the basking site to be about 38-42C and the cool side should be about 24-27C. Overnight if the temps in the tank stay above 18 or so, no additional heat is needed.

His tank gets quite low at night from the cold so i use that night time bulb but that gun is very well proced j will order it online here when i get paid!

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Outside Calgary ehhh. Well you can get un pasteurized honey at Save On i think. You don't want regular honey as it's been flash heated and the good stuff is killed off.

I'm not sure if you're east or west of Calgary but I think I've even see it at Safeway. I get mine at the local farmers market from a farm around Edmonton.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
That eye looks horrible, it will most likely be blind. Notice how it looks milky, the cornea is seriously damaged. Hope the honey treatment helps, it does appear badly infected.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today? Were you able to find any raw unpasteurized honey?
Collard greens & squash is fine, daily. You can throw in some chicken or turkey baby food in with it for protein also. Do you mix the calcium powder in with it?
I am glad you are keeping him warm at night. I hope he is feeling better. The eye is pretty serious right now.

Tracie

Hanjoh

Original Poster
Update I have tried honey in drakkos eye it seemed to hurt him quite bad :( maybe too much warm water? It was raw honey but he immediatly got his back leg claw scratching and he was tring to rub his eye on the glass and gravel he hasnt been actuve like that in a few months it seemed to hurt bad, whats the ratio? I dont want to do that to him again

Gail

BD.org Addict
I know honey is great for wounds but the one time I tried it diluted in my eyes, it burned like hell. Seriously, I would never subject a animal to that.
You poor dragon is in pain, he needs a vet not home remedies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Gail, he's been to 2 different vets with no success.

Poor guy, his eye is going to be very sensitive. Warm water is fine, by the time you get it in the dropper it will be lukewarm. Dilute it pretty well, about 1 part honey to at least 10 parts water.....see if he'll tolerate that. Any burning should only last a few minutes at most. Just like people, some animals will be more sensitive to certain treatments, medicine or home remedy. If you don't feel comfortable using the honey just do what you think is best. I actually used it on a baby, just hatched and his eye was scratched while still in the incubator, it swelled up 3 times normal size with pus in it. The honey cleared it up in 2 days and he was eating shortly after.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh that must have really burned. You may not have diluted it quite enough for him.
Is he alright this evening?
Let us know how he is doing. I hope it helps him out.

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I'm with Gail on this, the eye needs serious medical attention. I know two vets were tried....I would try a third or a fourth.

Hanjoh

Original Poster
Rankins":2vbvdtz4 said:
I'm with Gail on this, the eye needs serious medical attention. I know two vets were tried....I would try a third or a fourth.

I am completly broke , i just cannot in this point in time its just not an option

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I wish there was a way it was possible. Credit cards work...high interest rates, but at least it would get the animal seen. Maybe call a few vets to see if they take payments, let them know your in dire straits and how sick your dragon is. The eye problem looks pretty serious...hard to tell exactly what the problem is, but it does look infected. My worry is that the eye has a direct and easy path to the brain by the optic nerve foraminal opening. So a bad eye infection can turn into something much worse if it follows that pathway.

Hanjoh

Original Poster
Drache613":245v4ksc said:
Hello,

How is he doing today? Were you able to find any raw unpasteurized honey?
Collard greens & squash is fine, daily. You can throw in some chicken or turkey baby food in with it for protein also. Do you mix the calcium powder in with it?
I am glad you are keeping him warm at night. I hope he is feeling better. The eye is pretty serious right now.

Tracie

Would menuka honey be safe?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, raw honey, including Manuka, is safe. Just water it down pretty good, just like the other honey. All raw honey contains antimicrobial properties so the one you used originally should still help ...maybe dilute it more to make it less harsh.

And have you thought of just continuing the eye drops ? What kind were they ?

Hanjoh

Original Poster
I apologize i have not updated recently, he is opening his eye and swelling has gone down, the eye itself is still looking quite de formed that is the biggest problem, should the honey evetually help with the eye itself?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well that's a bit of good news. :) Did it improve while using honey , if so then def. keep using it. Do you have new pics ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom