Need Help and cant find answers online myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to find out if you can use a solar glo bulb with a 24 inch tube uvb bulb, or are my beardys getting to much uvb. I do have a mesh screen on top and my tank is 40 gallons. My beardys are about 10 inchs each. Using only a 125 basking bulb and they are growing and shedding like every week. They are eating about 30 crickets and a couple calcuim worms a day. Havent had any problem with tail tips or fighting as their is 2 in the tank. They have been together since birth. Got them from a petstore they were about 5 to 6 inchs. Really havent had a dominant one taking charge. I read one will stand one the other one but most of the time you see one do it then the other is standing on the other. But really seeing on how to know if your dragons are getting to much uvb?

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
You can get a uv meter to tell how much uv they are actually getting throughout the cage.

The bulbs last around 6 months to a year, how long have you had this bulb? Usually the Mercury Vapor Bulbs are good but the screen will filter out some of the UV if it's on top of the cage as opposed to within the area. Also depending on the height of the bulb will affect the amount of UV in specific areas.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
With more information we might be able to help you make a good estimate.
What wattage is the solar glow and how far away is it?
What wattage is the tube, what strength and how far away is it?
How are the bulbs positioned relative to each other?

Also, be aware even though you don't have issues with your dragons competing with each other a 40g is much to small to house both of them happily. (Think of it as living in a very small bedroom with another person, even if you get along it kind of sucks). A much larger cage would be needed and preferable separate ones.

HazzyShadow

Original Poster
The solar glo bulb is 125w i have a test card gor uv testing, it shows im getting uv just a little on the worried side. I have a zoo med 10.0 uvb tube light. Also i havent seen any problems i read online about them fighting. I have 2 different perches and they seem to like that. Im looking at either going with a 3 ft or 4 ft cage. Just haveing the hardest time finding one that i ready like. Im looking at going with a pvc cage more keeping my 40 gal. Glass cage. Any one know anything about a site for good cages or had experience eith any? Most i see online are built more for snakes and i want to find one that is mastered for a beardy.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
HazzyShadow":3erwyvfa said:
The solar glo bulb is 125w i have a test card gor uv testing, it shows im getting uv just a little on the worried side. I have a zoo med 10.0 uvb tube light. Also i havent seen any problems i read online about them fighting. I have 2 different perches and they seem to like that. Im looking at either going with a 3 ft or 4 ft cage. Just haveing the hardest time finding one that i ready like. Im looking at going with a pvc cage more keeping my 40 gal. Glass cage. Any one know anything about a site for good cages or had experience eith any? Most i see online are built more for snakes and i want to find one that is mastered for a beardy.

Do you have a solarmeter or on from the test cards from nat geo? The nat neo ones are garbage.

The information on this site may help you decide how is best to apply and combine your lights. There are links to the test reports showing how strong several popular lamps are. http://www.uvguide.co.uk/BIAZA-RAWG-UV-Tool.htm

As for caging, do you have the space to build your own? PVC cages are awesome because they are super light and easy to clean. If I could get one large enough, I would but I ended up building to save money. I have a 4'x2'x4' cage and probably still wouldn't consider that enough space for two lizards.

HazzyShadow

Original Poster
It is the test card from the neo geo cage. I havent been really happy with the cage. So im think about getting a 4x2x18 pvc. Im not skilled enough yo be able to make one. Plus im having the hardest time finding track for glass doors. So i might get a 4x2 first till i can save and get a another or go wirh a 3x2 for the second cage. I have emailed 3 different companys and the pvc all in one enclosure is really nice comes in a couple different colors too. I thank you for the link for uvb just wish they tested on screen too.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
HazzyShadow":178wcaec said:
It is the test card from the neo geo cage. I havent been really happy with the cage. So im think about getting a 4x2x18 pvc. Im not skilled enough yo be able to make one. Plus im having the hardest time finding track for glass doors. So i might get a 4x2 first till i can save and get a another or go wirh a 3x2 for the second cage. I have emailed 3 different companys and the pvc all in one enclosure is really nice comes in a couple different colors too. I thank you for the link for uvb just wish they tested on screen too.
The uvguide.uk.co had some info about screen - typically screed reduces UV 35-40%, windownscreen closer to 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom