Bend in tail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i have a baby bearded dragon and when i was taking him out for water the cage top dropped on the end of his tail. Thankfully i took him out on time,but now the spot is dark and slightly bent. Will he loose his tail!? Please help!

Melonthebeardie

Original Poster
Im not sure how to post pictures on here either. The end of the tail is limp now and i really dont want him to be in pain. Any helo with posting pics?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh poor thing. Accidents happen though, but he should be fine. We will wait to see pictures of his tail. Even if he does lose a small portion of the end of his tail, he wont miss it.

Tracie

Melonthebeardie

Original Poster
Its a few days after and i realized there was a little cut thats bleeding a tiny bit the end of his tail is dark now and theres a cut. I sadly got him when he was doing a tail shed, any help!?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....you can put some raw unpasteurized honey on it [ a natural antimicrobial ] Or some Neosporin, the kind that does not contain pain reliever. Do you have a new picture of it ?

Melonthebeardie

Original Poster
Sadly i dont have a new picture of his tail,but i will try putting honey on his tail! Last time i checked it was bleeding a tiny bit and some scales around that area are damaged. Thanks! Lauren

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Could be just a bruise, but there is a possibility it could have damaged the blood supply to the tail tip. If that happened it is likely he will lose the tail tip. If it gets brown or black and stiff, the tail tip is dead. If that's the case you can wait for it to fall off, or you can amputate it. Please, please, please don't do it if your not sure or are too worried to do it. The trick is to leave a small amount of the brown stiff tail there. You don't want to cut into live tissue.
I'm a nurse so I'm not too worried about doing some medical treatments on my own. I have amputated many tails and even an entire arm :)

Melonthebeardie

Original Poster
Thats awesome! The tail is very limp and a shade darker, his tail has stayed on ever since, just a small cut on the place where it was hit, maybe it will fall off, im not fully positive it will stay. The end just wiggles around limply when you move him or pick him up though!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Good news!! Sounds like it was probably just a bruise. If it was otherwise the tial tip would have turned stiff and brown. Very good news, because a missing tail has always bothered me aesthetic wise. One of my Rankins has a tiny bit of a shorter tail, but I wasn't going to worry about it. He was free :)
Haha...I just posted about how Im always finding good deals. I just found a cheap 210 gallon aquarium!!

Melonthebeardie

Original Poster
The end of his tail shriveld up and nowvtheres a stub right above there he got the bruise. Theres a small cut there.. Will the small part fall off too!? Help!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there.....it may just fall off + be fine but it may also be tail rot developing. If so it may need amputation. An experinced reptile vet could do it easily....they usually cut just above the infection line , into the good flesh to be sure to get it all. Are you treating it in any way at the moment ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom