Brumating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpaceEcho

Some quick facts before I begin:

•Age unknown, was a rescue, though is an adult
•In 40 gallon tank
•Both basking and UVB bulbs set on auto-time ( 7 am to 7 pm ). Last UVB bulb replaced 3 months ago
•Temps during the day are basking side: 95-100 during day, 75-80 during night. Cool side: 80 during day, 70-73 during night.
•Diet is 70% greens (mixed bag which Walmart sells..Mustard, Turnip, and Collard greens...with butternut squash, sweet potatoes, sugar snap peas, carrots, etc) and 30% insects (crickets, super worms, etc). I spoil him.
•Food (greens and insects) are dusted with (1 tbsp in greens) calcium powder, sometimes with 'herptavite' powder
•Reptile carpet for flooring
•Given bath once every couple weeks
•Sheds normally, last shed being a month ago

So I've noticed that sometimes he'll go through a very insanely small spectrum of time where he does fine, but his main routine is worth posting about. He's pretty inactive considering an adult anyway, but most days I will come home from work and notice that he's laying down on the ground. He won't seem to really eat or move unless I physically lift him up back onto his basking spot. I figured I'd leave him alone, but he went almost 3 days of not eating at all until I moved him back up to his basking spot..and then he eats some and does fine. He doesn't sleep at all when he's down there..he's lazy of course but his eyes are open mostly. He just seems to hang out down there unless I move him.

Nothing has changed when it comes to temp, diet, environment (I moved about a little more than a year ago)..so I don't really know what to pin it on other than brumation. I've read owners worry because they seem sick or are dying but not to because they are just going through this period.

He eats insects fine, and will not hesitate eating at all when they're bugs. He will eat all the crickets I have in one sitting when I have them (up to 20), or he will eat a good 10 super worms (which I only have been doing because he's gotten skinnier from not eating much and trying to fatten him up). He likes 'orange' in his greens so I've been putting in butternut squash a lot, with sweet potatoes and carrots..but otherwise he skimps a lot on the greens. I usually feed him the greens when I get home from work (around 2-3pm) because he's still sleeping when I leave in the early morning.
Though when I prepare his meal (he only will attend one a day, if that) he just touches it. He will take about 5 or so small bites and then leave it, and he does this every day aside his bug day. He won't go to his bowl of greens unless I physically put him at it.

What made me post though was the fact today was like any other day, but after taking his couple bites of food, he went under his rocks he basks on. He doesn't normally ever really do that, but within 10 minutes he went to sleep. This was about 4:30pm...and I know he's going to stay there and not eat unless I physically move him out and warm him up in his basking spot.

Is he trying to brumate? Am I hindering it?
Otherwise I really don't know what to do, if anything needs to be done.

Any help?

MsCarter

Juvie Member
sounds to me like you provide excellent care to your dragon. Everything you have mentioned sounds perfect. I would like to clarify a few things you mentioned so I can eliminate any possibility of husbandry issues. First, when you say his basking side is 95-100 is this his actual basking platform or the entire warm side of his enclosure? The reason I ask is because in most cases that I've seen where a dragon is not basking it's usually due to the Viv being a little too hot. You want his actual basking platform (rather it's a log, rock, or whatever item you use) to have a hot spot of 95-100. However the floor on the warm side would be better suited for him in the mid-upper 80s, and the cool side can be in the mid-high 70s. When the basking spot is too hot dragons tend to lay on the floor where more preferred basking temps are if that makes sense? Also I recommend increasing the amount of baths he gets to 2-3x a week atleast as well as offering water via dropper or mister 2-3x daily.

Another thing I'd like to touch base on just too possibly ease your mind a little is that it's common for dragons to prefer live food over veggie, even adults. I know there are videos of adults pigging out on their veggies and that great but unfortunately not always the case. The key is to encourage him to eat as much of it as he will and to provide variety just like you are doing. What he doesn't eat throw into the cricket and super containers so that they will be nice and gutloaded for him.

This is the time of year where a lot of dragons are either already brumating, or beginning to slow down. Even if he doesn't go into full blown brumation he may have lazy moments or days where he wants to sleep or hide out. Brumation is not a "one size fits all" for beardies. So yes he certainly could be slowing down a little or even about to go into full brumation. It's very natural and nothing to be alarmed about as long as you do not begin to notice weight loss.

MrSpaceEcho

Original Poster
MsCarter":2smib5vq said:
First, when you say his basking side is 95-100 is this his actual basking platform or the entire warm side of his enclosure? The reason I ask is because in most cases that I've seen where a dragon is not basking it's usually due to the Viv being a little too hot.

The could be the issue, as I've had lamp heat issues in the past for being too hot. He currently has a 100W bulb, and is about 10 or so inches below the lamp in his basking area. Should I get a lower wattage bulb? I have a probe thermometer and I should just use it to check his spot before I assume anything else. I feel naturally that it's too cold for him, but that's probably where I'm making the mistake. Thank you!

Also I have upped his baths to twice a week as you said.
I'll see if these help.

Thank you again for responding!

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Not a problem. Try making his actual basking spot 95 degrees and see if this encourages him to bask. If your temps are currently higher than this you can lower the wattage or simply raise the bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom