Please help with lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had so much conflicting information thrown at us and I'm confused about setup. We had a duel lamp fixture with coil UVB and 75w basking light. Read coil was bad, ordered 18 in. Reptisun 10 UVB for 20 gallon tank. Waiting for it to come in.In the meantime, we bought a Zilla 15w T8 (took plastic off) and are going to Velcro the fixture inside. We also replaced the duel dome fixture with a Fluker's large clamp lamp (can't get it to clamp) with 100w basking bulb. Can the UVB be placed directly under the basking bulb? Can the Flukers dome be placed directly on the screen since I can't clamp it? See pictures if you need clarification.
88818-6732463529.jpg

Old setup below (no longer have duel dome and hammock but you get the idea).
88818-7542553539.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd put the UVB light at an angle as close as you can to the basking light just as you have it from what I see. The basking light can go right on the top if you want. You can use foil to shield any plastic parts near it. Otherwise you can put it on an adjustable stand so it hangs above the tank a bit. That mostly comes down to temperatures. You want to have very accurate readings and the basking area should be around 100-105 and the cool side should be around 75-80 or so. If you don't want to raise the lamp you can use a lamp dimmer to cut a little bit of power to get the correct temps. It's important to have a gradient so your dragon can move around and choose a temperature.

DrogonsDen

Original Poster
Here it is now. Should I remount the UVB so the tube light is facing me?versus the way it is now where it's pointing directly down to the ground?
88818-2859015274.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The temperature ranges are very good. I advise pointing the UVB light straight down. It will radiate out to the sides a bit too but it's easier for them to manage lighting if it's directly(ish) overhead like the sun.

DrogonsDen

Original Poster
Thanks! I ended up having to put the UVB back on top of the screen pointing down because he kept trying to crawl on or into the UVB light... very strange and of course dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom