Young beardie with knots on joints/hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

baseball24havic

I've come here to gain information and steps on how to properly treat this beardie.
Ryu, my newly acquired dragon, has grown these knots on his knees and hands. Ive looked up multiple reasoning behind this and some of the forums made me think this is MBD. He used to be somewhat active and now he's very lethargic, twitches, and seldomly used his hind legs.
I use a repti sun 10.0 UVB
basking spots are 105-115
cool side is 75-80
fed crickets dusted with vitamins and calcium every other day (one day, calcium, next day vitamins)
Any help is appreciated :cry:

88957-1400943259.jpg
88957-9281273679.jpg
88957-7599008218.jpg
Hello all,

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That appears to be gout, though he is very young, we are seeing more & more cases of gout in youngsters.
The UVB light you are using, is it a long tube bulb or a compact/coil light? Is there plastic covering the light, or does it go through screen?
As for the temperatures, I would lower the basking temperatures to a range of 95-110 with a cool side of 78-82.
The vitamins only really need to be given 1 maybe 2 times per week. Does he eat greens on a regular basis? How many crickets does he eat weekly?
I would start giving extra oral fluids daily. Try to get some black cherry juice extract to help beak down uric acid crystals. He may however, need allopurinol to help, if it is gout.
Can you get him into a vets for a blood test if he is 100 grams or more?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

baseball24havic

Original Poster
Drache613":1avl1l3c said:
Hello,

That appears to be gout, though he is very young, we are seeing more & more cases of gout in youngsters.
The UVB light you are using, is it a long tube bulb or a compact/coil light? Is there plastic covering the light, or does it go through screen?
As for the temperatures, I would lower the basking temperatures to a range of 95-110 with a cool side of 78-82.
The vitamins only really need to be given 1 maybe 2 times per week. Does he eat greens on a regular basis? How many crickets does he eat weekly?
I would start giving extra oral fluids daily. Try to get some black cherry juice extract to help beak down uric acid crystals. He may however, need allopurinol to help, if it is gout.
Can you get him into a vets for a blood test if he is 100 grams or more?

Tracie

Thank you very much for the quick response!
My UVB is a coil bulb going through a screen, he typically lays within 5-8 inches of the bulb.
He gets fed twice a day for as many as he can eat, which tends to be about 10 or so in the morning and 5 at night. He eats greens very rarely, i gave him basil, green beans, and carrots but he has only eaten the greens beans and that was minimal in itself. He is fed these everyday but like mentioned, he's not too fond. I also don't have a scale to weigh him but i don't believe he weighs 100g's I'm not exactly sure.
Also thanks for the tip on Black Cherry juice extract, may you know a brand that is commonly used?
I appreciate all the help :)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yes those coil bulbs are bad for them, they don't put out an even spread of uvb and are not good on their eyes either.

Our late dragon Nazdoramu got extremely ill and was suffering with gout, MBD and, renal failure. I attribute most of this to not knowing this till it was to late for her :banghead: . :cry: :cry: :cry: I still miss her dearly, she was my buddy!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Have you been able to get a new UVB ordered yet for him?
I hope he is doing a bit better. I usually bought a Puritan's Pride brand of Black cherry juice. Not for any particular reason really but I thought it was always good & my dragon liked it also. There are several brands that put out black cherry juice. Sometimes you might be able to find it in grocery stores, a R Knudson brand.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom