Prolapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help! I have a bearded dragon who seems to have some sort of a prolapse I think it may be a rectal prolapse as it actually looks more like a inside out butt hole, that's best way for me to describe it! I've had her soaking in a sugar bath now for a while and it seems to have gotten smaller! Is there any way that this can heal on its own? I've read a few things online where people have told me to gently push it back in or take a syringe and squirt the sugar water on it! I just moved out of state all of my money was expended in moving so I don't have anything to take her to the vet. I still haven't found work as of yet. I just noticed this today and am hoping someone can help. I love all of my animals reptile or not and I don't want her to be in any pain or die. Any advice is appreciated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post a pic of it ? Poor girl, how long has she been soaking ? In most cases you'd need a vet, do you have family or friends who can send you money on loan ? In any case, it needs to go back in ASAP. It's good that it's gotten smaller. If you can absolutely not get any money you will have to gently push it back in. Once you get it in [ whether you or a vet ] don't feed her anything for about a week so she will not have an urge to poo which could push it back out. Just hydrate her with drops of water on her snout rather than soaking her, since soaking can give dragons the urge to poo.

Best wishes, but REALLY try to get an experienced reptile vet. It may need a stitch on each side to hold it in.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
I had to deal with almost daily prolapses on my rescue before she passed. It's no fun and quite stressful.

The sugar bath is excellent, it will help keep the tissue moisturized and help it shrink back into the vent. The cloaca is what is pushing out. You can use a cu-tip to gently push it back in, i found by opening the vent a little on the sides allowed the cloaca to retract back into the body.

If you are feeding anythign that is difficult to digest, i would lay off it for a while. Examples include mealworms, superworms or anything with a hard shell.

This is a serious matter, like AHBD said and can indicate another internal issue. You most likely will need a vet to check him/her over. You quite likely will need antibiotics if this is a symptom of a greater issue.

sethsmomma2005

Original Poster
i just took a couple pics. I think it is her rectum protruding. I have tried pushing it back in, not sure if i am doing it right, and also she wont sit still :( any guiding of how to do this would be helpful. I am so miserable. I love my babies. I just want her to get better, but no family to help. So i am stuck with hopeful home remedies. Let me upload the pics.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Yup that looks like a prolapse.

I found just pushing it back in did nothing. If you take a cue tip, wet it so it's moist and run it along the vent until you come to the corner, just lightly open the vet using the cu-tip. It should retract back into it's body.

You should keep it in the sugar bath and maybe up the amount of sugar you're using until this works. If you can't get it back in then make a sugar paste and put it over the protruding cloaca. It will help keep it moist but is super messy. If you need further help, maybe I can help over hangouts or something.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry your girl has a prolapse. I hope she isn't feeling too bad, they are rather painful for them. I am glad the sugar water solution has helped somewhat.
If you need to post pictures, click on the XIMG button here in your post window & it will get you started with uploading photos to post. Oh, I see you just got it figured out, great!
That is definitely a prolapse.

Tracie

sethsmomma2005

Original Poster
can you private message me your hangouts name and i will turn it on, the pushing it back in part is what i dont understand, maybe you could break it down a little better for me in hagouts

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It looks pretty small now, how big was it at it's largest ? I've pushed a much larger prolapse in than that....gentle steady force and it should slip right in.

sethsmomma2005

Original Poster
Thanks to SpecialCoogs she was able to video chat with me and walk me through what to do. I have been able to gently push the rectal prolapse back in. But to keep her from forcing it out i have also made a sort of diaper with a sugar water paste and wrapped it up and taped it. Will check and redress tomorrow morning but for now, as you can see, she is sleeping in one of my nice fleece blankets with her stuffed dino and is sleeping. Still alot to pray for because this may not be the fix i need. But it is better than what i was dealing with earlier. I truly hope she heals and all is well because like i stated above just cuz shes just a lizard as some say. I love all my babies. Whether they are reptiles or kitty cats. Will deff keep everyone updated on progress. Thank you all for all your help!

88955-1673483495.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great news ! How good that could chat with Spacialcoogs + resolve it. :) I was glad to see how small it was + thought it would go in easily. Remember, don't feed her for 5-7 days so she will not have the urge to poo + possibly force it back out. Then when you do feed her, just soft body insects for a few weeks.

Hopefully she wasn't trying to push out eggs.

Hoping it stays in !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thank you SpacialCoogs for helping.
That is great you got her all calmed down & started treatment in that manner. I hope that helps out for her & that it stays in to heal. Absolutely no solid foods as suggested, but you can give liquids.
She doesn't have any eggs I hope. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Keep us updated on her.

I remember my first time with a prolapse and it was so stressful and I was so worried about my girl. Having someone to talk it through would have been better than frantically reading everything on the internet and trying to figure it out myself.

I'm in no way an expert but I'll share my experiences to help out others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom