Loss of appetite possible mouth rot/ gum disease ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn't been eating well for the past few weeks. Maybe a super worm every other day or so.

Been very active: head bobbing, lots of glass dancing. So I'm not sure if his mouth is just banged up from all the activity. Mouth rot, plaque build up?

What do you all think and in home treatments?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It could be from banging on the tank some, but his chin doesn't appear bruised. He is a handsome man though! :D
He may have a little bit of plaque but it doesn't quite look like mouth rot. To be proactive, you could clean his mouth daily, as much as he will allow for. LOL You can get some betadine & dilute it down to look like weak tea. Then use either a swab or a tiny soft toothbrush to gently clean his gums. There is also a product nolvadent too that you can find & one other I can't remember. You can also get some unpasteurized honey & dilute it with warm water, to dip the swab in to clean his mouth out. He would probably love that. It is a natural antimicrobial/antibacterial agent so if he does have a little bit of an infection going on it should help out.
He isn't eating well? What types of foods do you offer him?

Tracie

BrdTrmptr2

Original Poster
Was doing some research..does this appear to be characteristic of periodontal disease? I really hope not...for his sake as well as my pocket book.

Diet consists mostly of greens, super worms and horn worms. Kind of a picky eater in general.

More pics

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is buildup, but not sure it's mouth rot but definitely plaque. I would treat as mouth rot to start getting it cleaned out.
Try to see if you can use a swab to determine if it's soft or hard. If it's soft then it may be able to be scraped off. He might benefit from a broad spectrum antibiotic to help clear up a local infection.
Baytril or Ceftz would be good choices for broad spectrum antibiotics.
This seems to be a fairly common problem among them. Is it this way on both sides?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, it sounds like hard plaque. You can try using a toothbrush daily to see if that helps loosen it.
Did you try scraping gently with your fingernail perhaps? If it doesn't want to scrape off at all, then
trying the honey & or the betadine daily may help.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You may want to apply a topical cleanser as well to keep the area clean and help reduce the bacterial buildup from the outside. My vet had me use MaxiGuard gel and it worked well by just putting some on a q-tip and rubbing it along the gums and teeth a few times per day. It may be helpful in this case too. It's not super expensive and you can get it at pet supply stores or on Amazon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going today?
Thanks Cooper, I couldn't remember the name, MaxiGuard. I was going to Maxident or something. LOL
I remembered you saying how good that one was, too.

Tracie

BrdTrmptr2

Original Poster
Tracie,
Thanks for checking in. Definitely just a hard plaque, was able to scrape some off. Will continue to keep it clean and work on the buildup.

Still not eating, but he's also in shed and has some new roommates . New young beardies in separate cages. Suggestions on encouraging eating?

Question on the betadine..is it okay if he ingests some or..?

Thanks.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great you were able to scrape some of it off. That is odd though that there is so much build up, I wonder why? One thing you could consider trying is getting some crunchy dry pellets or treats basically like a dog biscuit to see if that helps to clean his teeth/gums also.
If he ingests a small amount of betadine, that will be ok. If it's watered down, it shouldn't be too bad.
He might have a loss of appetite because he is shedding also. You can try changing up the feeders some, to see if he just wants a change possibly. As for he greens, you can try putting pieces of fruit or red & other colored peppers to see if that helps peak his interest. Also, placing a few worms in with the greens can help sometimes, too.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

BrdTrmptr2

Original Poster
Update.
Carl has slowed down a bit...maybe getting ready to brumate?

He did eat one super worm the other day. The plaque build up is still there, unable to get much more off without being too abrasive. As it is, I've noticed his gums get a little red and inflamed after I treat them. Waiting for the gle to get here, will that help soften the plaque?

Still quite a bit of hard build up...trying get to get at it with stressing him out too much.

Thanks.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, he may be trying to slow down to brumate, what luck. He is pretty young, too!
I think that the gel should help to soften it up some. I can't think of anything else, other than trying a baking soda & water mix into a paste to gently rub on his gums. The baking soda has a slight abrasive action that could help too.
When are you expecting the gel? I am sure his gums do get a bit irritated when you try scraping it off.
That's good he ate a superworm though, but no greens, right?
When you scraped it off before, did you use your finger nail? You could try using a toothpick, carefully to see if you could get under the edge a little bit to get it loose. If you try that, be very gentle.

Let us now how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom