urate and hydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtjlcl

I have a question about hydration. Gonzo get a bath every other day and maybe more if she isn't pooping. When we had her to the vet after not pooping for 3 weeks he said she wasn't impacted (did xray) but did do a little enema to see if she would poop. She did poop for it but the urate looked hard. She has not been eating her vegetables, she will lick just a little bit of water when I drip it on her nose. Are baths hydration enough if she's not drinking water orally. I make sure the water is warm and it is up over her vent. I want to make sure she is hydrated. I have heard different things like baths do not help with hydration and only oral water does.

She was not eating either but since the vet visit I have since introduced Dubia's to her and she is going crazy eating. She has only pooped once (last Sat. in the bath) since the vet visit which was about 13 days ago. She has ate about 60 dubias and some crickets within that time frame. Could it be normal that she may end up not pooping for weeks and nothing being wrong. She is about 8 months old.

Temps are good as previously confirmed.

Thanks for your help!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Their poop schedules vary and as they get older they can go longer without pooping. A few weeks at a time is unusual, especially if she's eating a lot. I'd imagine the roaches will help move things along more regularly. Their shell fragments seem to do the trick. If the bugs are well hydrated off of fresh veges then she will get plenty of hydration from eating them. Baths don't provide hydration unless she drinks. You can offer drops of water on her nose but she may not lick it up if she doesn't need extra water and that's OK. If she continues to wait for extended periods without pooping you could put a few drops of olive oil on her nose to lick up or offer some baby food applesauce or pumpkin puree which may help things along. I think a steady diet of well hydrated bugs should do the trick though.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

A lot do bathe because they enjoy the baths & I have personally seen where it has helped with hydration even without drinking. The skin just looks better. They can absorb water through skin/scales. Oral fluids are quicker & more efficient at hydrating but some just wont tolerate taking them that way.
The best is always to have them eating good food sources, but that doesn't always happen as we all know. LOL
If the urate is really hard, you can back off on supplementation a little bit too until it softens up some.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiamYe
Top Bottom