Assistance needed PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziziroxy

We are caring for a beardie named Carlos while his owners are on vacation. He is clearly not well. We don't know much about them except for what we've researched online the past few days. He is very thin, lethargic, has no appetite and is dehydrated. What we've done so far is feed him water the first two days flavored with a bit of apple juice by syringe. Yesterday we started with Pedialyte. We average 4-6 cc's daily. He seems only a bit better and today we attempted chicken baby food, 2cc's watered down with some Pedialyte. We live in Florida in the states so the climate is warm (currently 88 during the day and about 70 at night) and Carlos is outdoors on our patio under an awning with indirect sunlight. We were concerned about direct sunlight with him being so dehydrated. Tomorrow we are going to purchase a UVB light and some calcium powder ( we read this on this site somewhere). We really do not have the funds to take Carlos to a vet but we'd like to do what's best for him as it is heart breaking watching this creature suffer. Please help with any additional advice you can give to help us nurse him back to health if possible.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Why is he on the patio? Please get him inside asap!
The humidity has to be awfully high (I used to live there) . beardies can't take high humidity, 60% at the most and only for short periods. Optimum is 20% to 50% humidity, as they are desert creatures.
Is he in a glass enclosure by chance? If so he is getting stifled in it. This would cause some of what you are describing.
Direct sunlight might bring him around. Just take him out in the heat of the day in the grass(away from any fire ants) for about an hour, the natural sunlight is the best uvb he can get. The results are amazing in most cases.

Ziziroxy

Original Poster
We put him on the patio thinking the warmth would be best for him. He is in a glass enclosure. Like I said, he's not ours but we are doing our best until the owners return. I will try the direct sunlight tomorrow and make sure to tell the owners the glass is not a good habitat. Should we continue with the feeding as I described until we see improvement?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Ziziroxy":xcmyt0of said:
We put him on the patio thinking the warmth would be best for him. He is in a glass enclosure. Like I said, he's not ours but we are doing our best until the owners return. I will try the direct sunlight tomorrow and make sure to tell the owners the glass is not a good habitat. Should we continue with the feeding as I described until we see improvement?
No, the glass habitat is a great enclosure, its the outside on the patio that is the problem.
Take him out of the enclosure ( leaving him in it in direct sunlight will bake him) to get some sun and put him in the grass and keep an eye on him (they're quick little scutters).
How big is he?
Have you tried crickets? They will obtain their hydration from their food normally.
How did you come up with dehydrated?
How long has he been out on the patio?

Ziziroxy

Original Poster
He's been on the patio since last Saturday. He looks about the same as when we got him. Almost skeletal. His skin when pinched stays that way so we assumed, from what I've read, he was dehydrated. He is way out of the way from direct sunlight. So we are not baking him in his enclosure. At least not according to the thermometer in his enclosure. We are bringing him inside to help with the humidity aspect.

Ziziroxy

Original Poster
We haven't tried crickets. He is very lethargic and does not even go after the worms. We've tried veggies too to no avail.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
There are a few things we need to know so we can help him through this.

What type of lights (uvb and basking)
Substrate (flooring)
Size of enclosure
Age of the dragon
Temps( basking, warm side, cool side)

These are but just a few that will help determine what to do for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom