Does this look normal to you? This is my first beardy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damianblu

Sometimes when my beardy sits around his legs do this. He also occasionally twitches one of them too about twice a day. I'm getting worried.
14800217_1494462483902519_105114355_o_zpsqvqz2fnh.jpg
[/url][/img]
14812848_1494462417235859_121688627_o_zpssxdumzzh.jpg
[/url][/img]
14796036_1494414303907337_2122984731_o_zpskboq3fsn.jpg
[/url][/img]
Cage Size: 40 Gallon
Age of dragon: ~1 year. Unsure of exacts. 16 inches and ~240 grams.
Diet: Dubia, Superworms. Collard Greens, Kale, and butternut squash are offered daily but he doesn't normally touch them. Carrott baby food is given occasionally.
Bathing: Every other day. He drinks a very large amount of water while bathing. I mist him once a day when I bathe him, twice a day when I don't.
Supplement Schedule: Daily calcium dusting of all insects.
UVB Type: Reptisun 10.0 UVB. Which was working fine but just freaking broke when I was twisting it back in. :banghead:
Basking Temperature: ~100-105 ambient
Hot Side Temperature:~95-100
Cool Side Temperature:~78-80
Method of measuring temperature: Digital thermometer. calibrated analog thermometer.
Substrate: Carpet

Worth noting: Poop is very very stinky. Suspicion of possible parasites.

Damianblu

Original Poster
I would but they're so few and far between I'm not sure how to go about it. It's like 1 or 2 a day at total random.

He was just recently shedding on that leg so I had figured it was just him trying to shake it loose. But that shed seems to be complete and he's still doing it, paired with the weird leg posture.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
It's possible that with the Coil he isn't getting enough UVB and is starting to develop a calcium deficiency.

You should swap out to a tube light asap. Reptisun 10.0 or the Arcadia 12% are the best options, if you are getting a T5 you can mount it on the screen at a distance of 8-12" from the basking spot but a T8 should be 6-8" so it should be mounted inside the tank.

Unfortunately a lot of those kits are garbage and don't always have the best equipment for the optimal health of your beardie.

Something like this is optimal
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/34-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

Varalidaine posted this which is an excellent description:

Coil bulbs only produce UVB in one spot of the tank instead of the whole length of the tank. In an artificial setting for captive animals, you'll want the UVB to span about 2/3 of the tank as UVB bulbs are weaker than radiation from the sun, so the animals need to be exposed to more of it to compensate for that. Coil bulbs also produce an unreliable amount of UVB because of the way they are shaped and the UV wavelength they output is shorter than in strip lights, making them harsh, and can cause photo-keratitis, which is severe eye damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom