Are they getting enough to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 babies, just over 2 mos old. I feed dubia roaches as my staple and bfl as my secondary. Squirtle and Charmander eat their dubias right up no problem. (They are the 1st meal of the day) Then the 2nd meal is the bfl. It takes them until morning again (they get them early afternoon) before they're gone. Should I be giving more dubias in the evening even though the bfl aren't gone? I think if I do they'll just continue to ignore the bfl and won't eat any of them. What do I do? I want them to learn to eat a variety but I don't want them to be losing out on needed nutrition.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Sounds like they aren't crazy over BSFL? My dragon doesn't care very much for them either. At their ages they are eating little machines and should be since they are growing. With that being said you do want them to be eating two protein meals a day and offering a salad every day as well. You can try to bsfl first. This is the only way I can successfully get my dragon to eat them. During her first protein meal she seems to be the hungriest and will usually eat a few of them than she gets her roaches. As long as they are getting 2 protein meals a day whatever method you can discover that seems to work best will be fine. Just make sure they have atleast 2 hours of basking time before lights out after their last meal.

Mybabybeardies

Original Poster
Ok thank you I do offer salad daily too. I have been feeding bfl in the afternoon and it's late morning before they are all gone. They usually eat a few and then might snack on a few a few times throughout the evening and finish them in the morning. I free feed because my girls rarely clean their dishes all at once. I also offer crickets once or twice a week just for some variety. I'm going to try silkworms too eventually but my bug budget lately has been spent keeping up with these eating machines. Lol!! So can't afford a bug I only get a few of when I can get a lot more dubia for the same price. Also working on starting a dubia colony but haven't gotten it established yet.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
I completely understand. If you have to free feed than BSFL are the way to go. In a deep enough dish (but shallow enough for your dragon to comfortably eat) they will be less likely to escape. If they are eating them in the morning and later you are giving them Dubias or crickets, it sounds like they are eating plenty. I know what you mean about the bug budget lol. They can really put away insects and after awhile it begins to add up. I do not blame you for wanting to start a colony I recently decided to do the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom