Please help I don't know if he's sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Coil bulbs only produce UVB in one spot of the tank instead of the whole length of the tank. In an artificial setting for captive animals, you'll want the UVB to span about 2/3 of the tank as UVB bulbs are weaker than radiation from the sun, so the animals need to be exposed to more of it to compensate for that. Coil bulbs also produce an unreliable amount of UVB because of the way they are shaped and the UV wavelength they output is shorter than in strip lights, making them harsh, and can cause photo-keratitis, which is severe eye damage.

This is a great explanation. I will steal this to help others if you don't mind.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good to hear that you were able to get the daytime temps down. If you do suspect he has an upper respiratory infection, you could pick up a lot wattage ceramic heat emitter to keep the tank temp about 80 overnight to help give his immune system a boost.

Hope he can feel better soon.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
The point is that they need to cool down at night. Being hot, especially with your dramatically high temperatures, can easily lead to dehydration and disrupted sleep. If you can see the light, so can your animal. He should only be 90 during the day night time temperatures should be 65-75. If your house gets cooler than 65, then use a ceramic heat emitter instead. They emit no light, just heat.

Eternal

Original Poster
He has his mouth open again and his beard is black he's laying in his corner he does not seem hungry I do not know what to do. I have an appointment for him on wensday. I uploaded a picture of what he looks like at the moment:(

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you heard anymore coughing sounds? Any mucous around his mouth or nose or breathing issues? Please post a few pictures here so we can try to help. Sorry you are both going through this.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh dear, he doesn't look good. :( I would get him to a vet asap if you possibly can.

Had you noticed the signs of a URI that I mentioned above? Could he have aspirated some water?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did he maybe drink to much water lately? Any mucous around his mouth? If so, tilt him down to see if you can get any liquid to drain out.

Good luck, hope you can get him seen right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom