Help! Broken tail. Need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

asheofhearts

Original Poster
Any tips on getting him to eat vegetables? Sometimes I have to trick him into eating them.:( Whats your ideal salad mix/sized veggie cuts for a dragon his size? And what insect/veggie ratio do you usually go by?
Also, can you link me to a good UVB light and a good night lighting for a 20 gallon tank?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

For the proper size of veggies & greens, just finely chop them up so he can eat them easier. Most of the youngsters don't eat them as much as they should. For his age, he still needs more protein than greens, basically 80% protein & 20% greens. As they become adults, it just essentially flip flops on those ratios.
He wont need a night light though, but you could get a ceramic heat emitter for overnight heating. Do you have a screen top now & already have a fixture for a tube bulb or not?
The better UVB lights are either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb. What sized tank are you going to move him into later?
You can get either of those lights at:

www.lightyourreptiles.com

How is he doing today?

Tracie

Tracie

asheofhearts

Original Poster
He's foing okay. He won't eat hardly anything right now. He's drinking pretty well though. I think this shed is taking its toll on the poor little guy. He's had baths and has been misted but this darn shed won't hurry up. I hate seeing him so uncomfortable. :( He still has his active moments and likes to head bob alot. lol
My room is an okay temperature at night, but it's starting to get cooler with the fall and winter coming. So I thought I'd prepare for the cooler weather. :) Thank you! His tail is pretty much completely healed. Still putting a tiny bit of neosporin until I get him in next week. I wish he would eat more. Within the past month, even his appetite has shrunk. He went to eating 9 to 10 worms to eating barely 3 with just a nibble of his veggies. Hopefully when I take him in next week, I can have them help get his apetite going.
He's in a 20 right now and still has plenty of space to roam. But I was thinking of getting a 50 gallon and some more stuff to bask on and some upgraded light fixtures.

asheofhearts

Original Poster
88822-5373771344.jpg
88822-1220982927.jpg
88822-9933926370.jpg
88822-2436819999.jpg

My baby just looks do dry and sickly. He's looking thin and won't hardly eat. He's taking forever to shed. I just lost my job and can't take him to the vet. Infound these little pokes on his legs thatbare in a similar pattern on his legs and in not sure they're normal. And now there's an extra crinkle on his/her genital place. I'm just so paranoid.
He's still decently active but won't eat. His mouth looks really dark and dry and I hope it's not mouth rot.
His eyes are getting a little sunk in. I'm hoping he doesn't have retained shed around his eyes or nose. I'm just so worried about my baby and want him to grow into a healthy dragon. But I can't do that when he won't eat any veggies or insects or pellets. :( He looks so thin and is very very flat when he lays down. It's so scary. ??

asheofhearts

Original Poster
By the way his lines on his underside are a little dark because I agitated him a bit trying to get a few pictures. His colors are still vibrant. They are just getting a bit dark and sickly and dry. And when I manage to get him to eat a worm, I can maybe manage three and a half and he just gets so bloated. He poops atleast once a day but they are getting less firm and there's me yellowish grainy stuff in the urate. Could it be he's ot digesting the calcium powder I dust the worms with? He has a 13W UVB

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How far is the UVB from his basking spot? The 13w lights are not very powerful. I'd switch it out with a tube style T8 or T5 depending on the distance needed or at least upgrade to a 26w UVB200 from Exo Terra which is OK at about 6''.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At 8'' a 13w bulb won't be producing sufficient UVB over the basking area. Especially if it's shining through a screen. Even at 6'' with no screen it would be providing shade levels of UVB according to my testing on a similar bulb (all living things compact 13w). 8'' is OK with a T8 tube if you have it inside the screen. Otherwise I'd go with a T5 tube and put the basking area 10'' under it with a screen or about 12'' without a screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom