Not basking after he eats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordecai

Juvie Member
So I feed Mordecai in the mornings a dish full of dubia and supers and of course a salad. He eats some of every thing and I just leave it in there so he can eat it later if he wants. Well tonight I got home from work and after I eat dinner I take Mordecai out to have snuggle time. So it's 8:45 and I put him back in his viv for bed time. (Lights out at 9) and instead of going to bed he decides to eat all of his remaining bugs. It was a lot. So know it's time for lights out and he goes to bed. Sorry long story. Will he be ok not basking? He's never eaten his bugs this late before and I will make sure I take them out from know on. I tried to pull him out of his hide to bask but I got the stink eye for about 15min and then back in his hide he went. He was pretty proud of himself after he ate them
86288-1253451324.jpg

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Once isn't going to be the end of the world but you definitely do not want to make a habit of this. They need heat to properly digest food so it's recommended to feed nothing atleast 2 hours before lights out. I would definitely start allowing him to eat what he wants and after 15 minutes remove all insects. The only thing you really want to allow sitting in there all day with him is a salad but even that should be removed about 2 hours before lights out. Tomorrow make sure to provide plenty of water, at least 3 mist and maybe even a warm bath just to help with any impaction that could occur.

What are his current temps? If he's not basking this could potentially be a sign that he's getting a little too hot.

Mordecai

Juvie Member
Original Poster
His basking spot is 95 to 105 and low 90 around it and cool side in the low 80. This isn't something he does regularly and I will remove all food at night. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom