BITING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acaesha

Please help!! So our beardie 'Buster' is acting VERY strange this morning! We have a piece of sandstone in his cage to help him shed. Well this morning he is biting it, almost like attacking it! We can hear him grinding his teeth on it even... we've never seen him behave like this before, so we're a little bit concerned. Idk if it's a sign of agression, or if he's lacking something or what?!... we have a log in there also, and as I'm typing this, he's biting his log also. So it's not just the sandstone. My daughter just picked him up and held him and he didn't show any signs of agression towards her, bit as soon as she put him back in his cage he started biting at things again....

Gail

BD.org Addict
Any chance there is any spilled calcium on the rock or log? Some dragons really like calcium and will bit anything its on. Not sure if this is a sign they need more calcium/minerals in the diet or not.
How old is buster and how much/how often to you give calcium? Could be he needs a bit more or maybe some miner all which is a mineral supplement. I use it 1-2 times a in place of calcium.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
if at all possible try and look within his mouth to see if there is anything which could cause irritation... when he bites is he grabbing on to it or just niping it quickly?

Acaesha

Original Poster
ruben0311":1r04u48z said:
if at all possible try and look within his mouth to see if there is anything which could cause irritation... when he bites is he grabbing on to it or just niping it quickly?

He is just nipping it quickly. But we could hear his mouth/teeth scraping on it (sounded painful to me) we fees him calcium (without D3) one feeding per day, and calcium (with D3) once a week. We also have his multi vitamins that we also feed once a week... today is the very 1st time we've ever seen him behave this way. Idk if it's just me being paranoid because of him biting his log and rock, but his over all demeanor seems more agressive. NY husband says he didn't notice that, but he doesn't pay as close attention as I do.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
keep an eye on his oral health and just wait it out, imo. since it just started it might just be a weird quirk that he has, instead of something serious like eyesight problems or something else. Curious to see what he does if you place a new decoration in the tank... also if he only does it inside the tank or if its also done when placed outside?

Acaesha

Original Poster
ruben0311":1en5cuyr said:
keep an eye on his oral health and just wait it out, imo. since it just started it might just be a weird quirk that he has, instead of something serious like eyesight problems or something else. Curious to see what he does if you place a new decoration in the tank... also if he only does it inside the tank or if its also done when placed outside?

Thano you for your input. We will definitely keep a closer eye on him! So far, he has not done it when he's out of the viv. He also doesn't seem to have any sort of eyesight problems because it's obvious he sees just fine to eat, climb, and do anything else he chooses to do. We tong feed him, and I noticed while feeding him last night that he'd bite at the tongs whether or not there was a bug in them. He has NEVER done that before either. It could just be (I'm really hoping it is) because there was some calcium stuck on there. But like I said last night, he just seems aggressive and he's always been sucg a mellow, living sweetheart. We'll see what happens though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom