I'm worried he's not going to make it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my bearded dragon in about a month and a half ago to get him checked out because of his legs. The vet said he had calcium deficiency and couldn't do anything because he is so young. She said he'll be okay as long as we feed him right calcium. We got him a a new uvb and a new heat lamp. The heat lamp is 100 watt. The uvb is a strip light. We've been feeding him plenty of calcium. Ever since he got sick his activity level has dropped erratically, and his appetite shrank like crazy. He barley hunts for crickets unless they are in his face. He walks and stops like he's taking a break. His back legs still look very weak but he is still using them. Now hes barely ever basking. He just lays under his rock or finds a spot on the bottom of the floor and just passes out. He's kinda pale like he might shed but I don't know. We did recently changed his paper towels to sand. I'm just worried that he's not gonna ever recover and make it..

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Could be to hot. How big is the enclosure? It sounds very much like he is trying to cool himself down.
I have a 75 gallon enclosure and can only use a 75w basking bulb or it will get to hot.
Also you can take him out in direct natural sunlight, this will help a lot (you will be surprised).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you list the exact type + brand of lights ? Also a pic of the baby and his set up would be helpful.

Hopefully the little guy can be helped with the calcium + good uvb.

Erikbxc200161024

Original Poster
AHBD":2dn5wt3b said:
Can you list the exact type + brand of lights ? Also a pic of the baby and his set up would be helpful.

Hopefully the little guy can be helped with the calcium + good uvb.

How do I send you pictures?

Erikbxc200161024

Original Poster
Gormagon":2thnixpg said:
Could be to hot. How big is the enclosure? It sounds very much like he is trying to cool himself down.
I have a 75 gallon enclosure and can only use a 75w basking bulb or it will get to hot.
Also you can take him out in direct natural sunlight, this will help a lot (you will be surprised).

I think mine is also 75 gallons. I have a 75 watt back up. I'll put that it to see how he feels.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please review the brand of strip bulb that you have. Do you have it mounted on top of screen or is it mounted underneath of the screen? Do you have the plastic cover over the light also?
What are you using to measure the temperatures?
The temperatures are very important, so if he is getting too hot, he will be lethargic & not wanting to bask. The basking temperatures need to be in a range of 95-110 with a cooler end of 78-82. If he is in a very small tank, he could be overheating.
I hope he gets better for you. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom