Scab on my beardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heynen8

So I'm a new beardy enthusiast and my juvenile bearded dragon has a bump on his back, he's hasn't been injured or anything like that, that I know of..it appears to be a scab but the scab seems to be growing... Any help and suggestions will be appreciated for both me and my new friend.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't like the looks of that, especially if it's growing/spreading noticeably. I suggest a visit to an experienced reptile vet to have a skin test done and try to figure out what's going on there. There may be a combination of topical and oral treatments available such as Voriconazole if the issue is determined to be fungal. I would avoid offering baths to help prevent the issue from spreading. I would also put a topical antifungal on the area - something like Lamisil for now just as a preventative measure.

Heynen8

Original Poster
Appreciated, if it gets worse or spread I will take him to the vet.... Lamisil, I can buy this over the counter? And should I dilute it like I do the iodine?

Heynen8

Original Poster
I looked up lamisil, I do have some... Need advice on if I should or shouldn't dilute it.. I don't wanna hurt the little guy/gal

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think just a light dab over the area should be OK. Just repeat that as needed. Hopefully it will contain the issue until a vet can take a look and verify what's going on.

Heynen8

Original Poster
So I don't have lamisil, and it's not an over the counter medication anymore, u need a prescriptions... I have clotrimazole, it's for athletes foot and ring worm, it's an antifungal topical cream... Is that safe for him?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Try this http://www.birdkeeper.com.au/all-animal-products/f10-1/f10-germicidal-barrier-ointment-25g , you should be able to get this over the counter at any GOOD petshop or from a vet or by mailorder.

F10 Germicidal Barrier Ointment 25g

An antiseptic preparation effective against bacteria, fungi and viruses to treat open and contaminated wounds and to prevent re-infestation of wound infections and bacterial and fungal skin conditions such as ringworm, staph, etc.

F10 Germicidal Barrier Ointment is based on F10sc Veterinary Disinfectant and is effective in dogs, cats and horses against bacteria, fungi and viruses to treat open and contaminated wounds and prevent reinfection.

F10 Germicidal Barrier Ointment is effective in a contact time of 10 minutes, however repeated applications every day until the condition clears is the recommended treatment protocol.

This product has multiple uses and can be used as a stand-alone treatment for minor injuries, or in the case of reoccurring conditions, should be treated in conjunction with a complete treatment plan, including antibiotics, as directed by a veterinarian.

Benefits

· Proven efficacy based on F10SC Veterinary Disinfectant

· Proven safety with humans and animals (even cats)

· APVMA registered as a veterinary medicine

· Contains glycerine and lanolin and offers high levels of safe and effective skincare

· Broad indication covers a wide range of conditions

· Effective alternative to antibiotic topical treatment

· Ointment formulation is effective for longer than antiseptic sprays that dry quickly

· Ointment formulation adheres to wound site better than creams, and application is not as messy

Action

The antimicrobial action of the preparation is based upon the proprietary branded F10 compound.

The mechanism of action of F10 is derived from those of each component taken separately, in addition to those due to the additive synergistic action of all components combined.

At the concentrations in the product F10 has been assessed as giving a > log5 reduction in microbial counts against gram positive and gram negative bacteria, fungi, yeasts and moulds, enveloped and non-enveloped viruses, bacterial and fungal spores.

The group of keratinophylic fungi is very large, but only two genera, known as dermatophytes, are known to cause disease (‘ringworm’) in animals. The genera involved are Microsporum spp, and Trichophyton spp.

My reptile vet swares by F10 products.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Another photo would help, as in the one you posted, everything but the wound is in focus. And PLEASE do not wait to see a vet. If it is fungal, the most common is Yellow Fungus, which has a very high mortality rate. If it is YF, vet treatment will be necessary to give the dragon a chance at a longer life.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, the clotrimazole can be applied full strength to it. You can also dab it once a day with the Betadine solution, allow it to dry and then apply the anti fungal. The F10 that the other poster mentioned is good if you can get it and then find an experienced vet, one who sees beardies regularly and knows about fungal infections. By the way, can you post a pic of the area when it's dry ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom