Broly the new super saiyan beardie

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
He looks very healthy, some dragons are just thin looking mine is a chunker, and i have seen in betweeners so i know they are different in conformation, one look at those arms and you know hes eating right, the unhealthy ones tend to have very thin arms.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Very true. Just my very first was thin and I was told they are different. He's almost the same body frame as my first dragon. It's fine he hates veggies though he loved them before as young boy. His legs aren't chunky but not unhealthy skinny. He's eating well as long as I place the veggies/greens in his mouth. Place in his mouth items: blueberries, watermelon, strawberry, collard, mustard, endive, mint, basil and butternut squash. Items he eats on his own: apples, bugs and pumpkin. As you see more items to place than he eats alone. We're having spaghetti and the smell makes my stomach hurt..feeling sick because I know what it does to me so I won't bother eating any. I think it's the sauce something doesn't agree with me that's in it. Probably allergic to oregano..Idk really.

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
BlueDragon09":23f888d8 said:
Hey,

Very true. Just my very first was thin and I was told they are different. He's almost the same body frame as my first dragon. It's fine he hates veggies though he loved them before as young boy. His legs aren't chunky but not unhealthy skinny. He's eating well as long as I place the veggies/greens in his mouth. Place in his mouth items: blueberries, watermelon, strawberry, collard, mustard, endive, mint, basil and butternut squash. Items he eats on his own: apples, bugs and pumpkin. As you see more items to place than he eats alone. We're having spaghetti and the smell makes my stomach hurt..feeling sick because I know what it does to me so I won't bother eating any. I think it's the sauce something doesn't agree with me that's in it. Probably allergic to oregano..Idk really.
It may be that you are just having issues with the sauce itself, if its the canned stuff many people i know of just cant eat it, not because of the spices, but because of the processing and other ingredients. you might try white sauce or a more natural brand. My daughter breaks out when i get the prego or rago sauce but theres a newer sauce on the shelves (brand is olde rbut new on the shelves of the store we go to) that uses just the basic ingredients and not all of the mono this poly that crud that others do! If you can get the recipe for a sauce you can make yourself and surprise your mom with a more affordable alternative! When i can i make my own and the kids n hubby eat it up like starving dogs! :D

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I found a good tomato basil sauce in the organic part of the store I go to, it was so much lower in sodium, I was amazed and it was delicious. They even had one that was called "vodka tomatoe sauce" had vodka listed in the ingredients, so that would have been different.

I'm glad Broly is doing so well, it's great to hear. I still on ly have Gabriel and Imp up every day, Gabriel is asleep by 1p and Imp by 4p, they're both sound asleep. I won't let them brumate this year, next year when Imp has more girth on him.

Gabriel is still doing really well, except when the grandkids take up all the space because I really can't put them out when the youngest is here, she's not as gentle as Leo, he's 3 and is fascinated by my dragons. He loves to move Imp around and is gentle but not gentle enough, so my poor dragons sure don't get alot of outside time when I have Safara, too. Oh well, I'm seeing my grandkids so that's all that matters.

Tomorrow, both dragons will have time out and hopefully it's sunny!

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I'll be looking for those then. My family likes the canned tomato paste and diced tomatoes. I did too in my younger years overtime my stomach got weird with it so i no longer like the smell or taste. First time, I thought bug so I tried again and same thing...nope!

Anyway, gave Broly apple pieces (10) for breakfast he'll get silks later. No sun today apparently the news says rain Friday.
So no sun for two days! We get partly cloudy after that. Even ants are coming in because of the weather....they want out of rain before it gets here. Of course I have to kil them, hate them anyway...Im allergic to their bites.

Broly reached 404g and he is slowing down...so it's coming soon but Im hoping he will gain a bit more before sleeping then again will have to get him to BM weekly without feedings. Busting out canned pumpkin now. If he really likes it...it will be a salad topping it will get him to eat greens and butternut on his own. Though I'd have to rinse his teeth and wipe his face.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Been a week with nothing going on.
Had a african dwarf frog die and kicked up ammonia so I had to water change twice. I couldn't find the body but he was wedged in the castle, flushed him out with water so castle is safe now. Broly gained 5g and now 409g he also BM today so it went down a bit. He's still willing to eat but is slown down, does anyone know what I do about food and slow down? It's my first "do it right" brumation as I did it wrong for 9 years (Vash slept close to 1 year of age). I just want it done the way you all do it. I rather him not brumate but Im sure his body will make him do it anyway no matter if lights on 12 or 14 hours per day so it won't work. Since he's over 400g and exam (including fecal) is clean then he can go down as my vet said it's safe at 400 or over he wanted him to gain a bit. Fat pads behind front arms are plumping back up..still not much on tailbase I guess he's a thin guy still has them on his head. I guess it's all well.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he is still relatively active I'd still offer food for now, even if he is eating less. Not all of them brumate completely so he may just go through a bit of a slowdown phase. If he starts to sleep a lot through the day then I'd let him be and cut the food and just offer some water and take his weight every now and then. That's just based on what I'd do from reading though. None of my guys have gone into a brumation (yet). Darwin is literally glass dancing and bouncing off the wall of the living room as I write this. Apparently an entire house isn't a large enough enclosure to satisfy him at the moment =).

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
He probably won't go into full brumation and do what Didi and Leo used to do, I call it popcorn brumation. Up and down. Up a day, down a few days, up a few days, down a day or two, like that. So I fed them the whole winter because they had their regular routine on days they were up. They were like that all winter. Lonzo slept for 2 mo, so I had to make sure I timed the last poop right or get him up in a few days to get that done. Then covered and lights out. This year Nathaniel has been sound asleep since mid July; Cierra since end July; Castiel since end Aug. I get them up once in awhile for baths, they stay up a couple of days but I don't feed them and then back to sleep. Not sure how long they'll sleep this year, last year Cierra slept for 6 mo. I finally kept her up and blocked the opening of her hide. She'd drape herself across it and look at me with soulful eyes, but I told her 6 mo was way long enough!

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

TY both for information! It's relatively cool/cold today.
So he's definitely eating less, though he was good Mon, Wed and Thu this week. Today he's out..he'll eat a few pieces (when I had 12 pcs of squash with kale) I don't always give kale...it's all we got, store tomorrow. He's draped over his log looking very sleepy, giving the stink eye because I offered food..he doesnt have to touch it. Talk about moody!! My brother in law is becoming a breeder and my dragon will be the father..he has a female he got for his son nothing official until we have the third test for adeno done. My nephew is 6 yo so this will be an interesting treat to see beardies breeding. He's got all the incubators, right bedding and he's researched a ton about breeding so all I would need to do is bring Broly over. He knows girls who lay need extra calcium and food..she's too young now only 7-8 mo old. We're waiting till she's 2 yo to even start by then Broly will be 3 yo. She's turning 8-9 mo starting tomorrow since it's October. This will be excited but we have to wait another year.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Well, today is his last day of food. I fed him this morning and it's been a struggle to get him to bask and digest. He's not wanting to stay the longest is 25 minutes to an hour! I know that's not enough he needs two hours at best!!! In the morning he's willing to get up but not move to the basking area. I do not put him there. So tomorrow, I'll turn lights on put in hide and let him sleep. I'll get him up for water one last time. If he stays up, I'll offer food and monitor weight this week and will check every month after. He's good to go he ate thyme and some sage (vet says they control parasites). I guess Im gonna have to have him BM Friday then after that he's free to sleep the rest the day and week. He wanted food this morning but stubborn about digesting. Aye...why in the world did you want food then?! The part Im concerned about is BM causing him to lose some weight and up to 25g has been reported!! What do I do about that...? Of course he will lose some weight regularly from brumation but after BM too so what's the safe range of losing grams per week after BM and not able to bring it up with food? My fiance says he'll be ok even without to bring it up. Of course if he looks at all too thin I will have to bring him out feed and get him to bask. He's not a large round dragon. He's thin with some wrinkles...that sounds bad but he's been checked over already. Of course hes not round he hasn't ate much because of enzymes in his stomach messed up and he's definitely not eating much now either. He's going down and Im not sure about weight because with Vash I woke him for food and water every week to ensure he didn't lose much. He'll pack on weight when we wakes up but is there a safe range (I'll tell you weight on Thursday) of weight to lose after BMing and not eating after?

Thx in advance.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure about a set range but Darwin often fluctuates by 10-20g depending on when his last meal was. That's normal for him (based on his weight chart) but it may not be the same for everyone.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Thx Cooper!
So I showed him bugs (he showed interest) so I fed 8 crix then he basked an hour and a half (30 minutes left to two hours). I'll make him gain the 30 minutes later, I'll let him sleep. He got syringed water because he kept trying to sleep in the bath. Dried him and syringed 12 drops of water he took them pretty well he got his calcium. It's dark and gloomy with lots and lots of rain (stuck with this till May, April if we're lucky). By May the rain slows down to not as many days. Anyway, I fed crix and one of the eight jumped into my gerbils/hamster's bag of seeds I was like "oh gosh, Idk if I should feed it.." here comes Broly ready to snag it, it jumps OUT of the seed bag (they're not salted or anything coated on them) and he eats it as it ran across the floor. I quickly messaged my fiancé who's almost done with vet school he said Broly will be ok since the cricket or Broly didn't eat any seeds. It just jumped on them, luckily I have activated charcoal but since it only jumped on the seeds we're ok. Besides already been an hour something should have happened by now but then again they're seeds nothing wrong with them. I'll keep an eye on the weight as well. Oh and Deb since you read this, Broly is popcorn brumating LOL this will be fun.

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
Ive been away for a bit due to medical stuff, but i am sorry about your frog and excited broly gained! Draconis had butternut squash for the first time yesterday paired with ambrosia apple bits! he loved it! he was crunching away at it eagerly alternating with the apples. if yall dont know what apples i am talking about, they are the pinkish apples with some yellow that are lower glycemic than the reds. Now i am waiting on his beardy bites and hope they get here before Mathew gets here!

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
sweetiepie9":3v0dgjz0 said:
He probably won't go into full brumation and do what Didi and Leo used to do, I call it popcorn brumation. Up and down. Up a day, down a few days, up a few days, down a day or two, like that. So I fed them the whole winter because they had their regular routine on days they were up. They were like that all winter. Lonzo slept for 2 mo, so I had to make sure I timed the last poop right or get him up in a few days to get that done. Then covered and lights out. This year Nathaniel has been sound asleep since mid July; Cierra since end July; Castiel since end Aug. I get them up once in awhile for baths, they stay up a couple of days but I don't feed them and then back to sleep. Not sure how long they'll sleep this year, last year Cierra slept for 6 mo. I finally kept her up and blocked the opening of her hide. She'd drape herself across it and look at me with soulful eyes, but I told her 6 mo was way long enough!
This is what draconis is doing! i have to hand feed him his crickets, and trick him to eat other things. he perked up at the butter nut squash with apple bits but is doing the "dont wanna" thing again today......hes only on his bridge because i put his creepies on and hes listening to them. he has also shed his armsand legs 3 times in a month but not his tail and back, hes shed his face 4 times.....hes being his weird little self!

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Broly hit 414g he basked food he had today. He's crazy for apples and bugs...this doesn't sound like brumation. Brumation usually means not interested in any food, even favorites! He ate his apple pieces pretty quickly made a hiccup sound..he ate waaay too fast as I haven't heard the sound since. He's breathing fine and sleeping after two hours of basking at least. I don't think he's actually ready to brumate as I originally though as he's very well interested in bugs and apples. Still not a fan of veggies/greens and hasn't been all spring and summer!! Tried it all so I had to start placing them in his mouth, he'll chew or spit out. I don't forcibly or shove food in I place it easy and gentle. Bugs eat the salad Broly never eats on his own..he really doesn't mind food placed in his mouth, he's not dark colored he's still bright when I do it. He eats a lot of the favorites not the healthy salads LOL.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom